Michigan-Detroit
Options

XP: Too many options??

Hello my naughty knotties. I have a tendency to go a little overboard so I need some opinions. How many different kinds of candy is everyone using for their candy buffets? We are doing a cookie/candy buffet with the apothecary jars and I am having trouble knowing when enough is enough. We will have about 100 guests, and will also have cake for dessert. I know I am going to do WAAAY too much, I often do, I am aiming for plentiful and impressive. I don't want it to look ridiculous.

Re: XP: Too many options??

• Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The general rule of thumb that I found was about 1/3 lb - 1/2 lb per person.  So for about 100 people, you would want between 33-50 lbs of candy.  I was like you in that I wanted it to be overflowing and look really full and plentiful.  I've seen pictures of small candy buffets and big candy buffets and liked the look of larger ones better.

I went waaaay overboard on the candy.  We had 99 people at the reception and I had about 65 lbs of candy.  It was all pretty much gone at the end of the night but that was because I kept going around to people telling them to fill up their bags because I didn't want to take any of it home!  Plus a few of Todd's younger cousins filled up about 3 bags full.

We had about 10 different candies:  skittles, laffy taffy (2 flavors), reese's peanut butter cups, gumballs, caramels, jelly beans, tootsie pops, sour patch kids, m&ms, and something else I'm forgetting at the moment.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cool, thanks. I was thinking 6-8 types of candy and 5-6 types of cookies. I keep finding more cool jars though! We are going for all black and white, which is hard to do if you aren't crazy about licorice. Now I just need to find someone who wants the pink Good n Plentys lol. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_xp-many-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:96b5a8a5-ea2d-4e60-811a-64e20a086e64Post:5e725c0d-1f87-4dc6-9678-3ae1d8309669">Re: XP: Too many options??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cool, thanks. I was thinking 6-8 types of candy and 5-6 types of cookies. I keep finding more cool jars though! <strong>We are going for all black and white, </strong>which is hard to do if you aren't crazy about licorice. Now I just need to find someone who wants the pink Good n Plentys lol. 
    Posted by picklesmurphy[/QUOTE]

<div>What candies are you planning to use if it's all going to be black and white? </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, like Liz said - 35lbs should be fine. You can go overboard, but be prepared to either take home a lot or go around making sure people fill up. My cousin has an awesome candy buffet with a huge selection but there was a lot leftover. </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well so far.... I am sorting out the white Good N plentys (I got a GREAT deal) peach flavored gummy penguins, cola flavored gummy pandas, white and black hard candy sticks, white jordan almonds, black/white sixlets, black twizzlers, gummy grapefruit triangles, clear rock candy sticks, black/white suckers, maybe scotty dog licorice, maybe white/black candy coated sunflower seeds, maybe.. maybe.. maybe.....
    I know I will have a TON left over no matter what! I just don't want it to look stupid!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards