Wedding Classifieds
Options

NO REGISTRY-ASKING FOR CASH

Seeing as we both live on our own- we are going to have 2 of everything!  So- I don't want a registry.  We would simply prefer to start building a nest egg.

What would be the best way to inform guests that there is no registry and we prefer cash/check gifts?

Thoughts?????

Re: NO REGISTRY-ASKING FOR CASH

• Options
    There is not good way to do this really. You could make a registry but have your parents tell people you would like cash. But you can't have  bridal shower and just have people throw money at you.

by the way this board is the board for selling and buying wedding stuff. There are other boards for chatting.
  • Options
    I think this should be on the etiquette board. But I agree, there is no right way to ask for cash.
  • Options
    You don't ask for cash. You simply register for a minimal number of gifts at select stores (If you have family that will likely send gifts from far away, register at national chains.), for things you don't already have. Then you inform your close family and bridal party that you are not registering for much because there is no need and they can spread the word that cash would be accepted as a gift, but not required.

It is certainly no more tacky than registering for a bunch of crap you're just going to return anyway. Anyone who is dead set on giving a gift will do so regardless and most will gladly offer cash or checks for use on the honeymoon (Whether you spend it on the honeymoon or after is up to you, as it was a gift, which by its very nature should come without stipulation.) Most people will see the reason in this. 

Congrats! 
  • Options
    Agreed, very very tacky!
  • Options
    You can't just ask for money. You can just do a registry with some items on it and people will still give you money.
  • Options
    I don't even think you should make a registry if you are going to put so little on it. That just makes it seem like you are giving them no option but to give money.

I live with my FI and we have everything, but I just will replace what I have. I am stoked for a lot of the things I put on my registry.
  • Options
    maybe something like this?

"If you were thinking of giving a gift, to help us on our way.
    A gift of cash towards our house/honeymoon/etc etc would really make our day.
    However, if you prefer to purchase a gift, feel free to surprise us in your own way."
    BabyFetus Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-classifieds_registry-asking-cash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:88cfd470-2733-4f72-b942-6665357a2380Discussion:4f54b787-e3d6-4f8e-9899-d73f1ba17526Post:73ba9093-fae6-4bce-87d7-0b424583339d">Re: NO REGISTRY-ASKING FOR CASH</a>:
    [QUOTE]maybe something like this? "If you were thinking of giving a gift, to help us on our way. A gift of cash towards our house/honeymoon/etc etc would really make our day. However, if you prefer to purchase a gift, feel free to surprise us in your own way."
    Posted by florquevedo[/QUOTE]

Please don't.....people WILL talk about you.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
     Um.... the only point of a registry was to give people a guide as to what to give you, IF and only IF they want to give you something.  Some would rather pick out a heart-felt gift that expresses something that they know about you (etc).   Some may not be able to get you anything at all.  It just depends on their finances, how close they are to you, etc. 

If you really just prefer cash gifts, i would advise NOT having a registry at all... instead, just host a party the normal way.  When we all had birthday parties back WHEN, and we invited family and friends, we didn't create birthday party registries... and we still got cash from some folks.  

For those people who ask your parents "what do bride and groom want?" your parents could quietly tell them that they don't really need traditional wedding gifts, but you'd love a little help to get your life as a couple going.  

Just DON'T go telling people "I want money"  ... sounds tacky.  If you know what's good for you... check out the posts on the ettiquette board on this same topic before you post it.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    Very tacky! Offer your guests some sort of real registry. We have everything we need to, but there is always something you can update. Give an option to purchase gifts or give cash, then you're not forcing your guests to donate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-classifieds_registry-asking-cash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:88cfd470-2733-4f72-b942-6665357a2380Discussion:4f54b787-e3d6-4f8e-9899-d73f1ba17526Post:f64c92db-fb32-44c1-9315-4a30665ab5e9">Re: NO REGISTRY-ASKING FOR CASH</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't even think you should make a registry if you are going to put so little on it. That just makes it seem like you are giving them no option but to give money. I live with my FI and we have everything, but I just will replace what I have. I am stoked for a lot of the things I put on my registry.
    Posted by Bride_to_be_2011[/QUOTE]

I completely agree!! I couldnt have put it better myself!! Asking for just cash is just tacky!!
  • Options
    Are you kidding me? If I got something with that rhyme on it, asking for cash, I would not even attend the wedding for that very reason. How tacky! Having a wedding is not a reason to ask anyone for cash, especially those closest to you who will be sharing your special day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was invited to a wedding that they didnt have a registry, so after confusion, I mailed a check (I couldnt go to the wedding, and i didnt want to go either, I think i was a "B" list guest because they wanted gifts).

That rhyme/poem you shared was LAME, rude and tacky. Please dont do it. Make a registry for stuff to upgrade.....have you thought of changing your bedroom, or need a new set of dishes? People will still give you cash, not everyone buys a gift. But please, dont ask for it through some dumb nursery rhyme.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards