New York-Hudson Valley

Sunday Weddings?

Hi all!

I'm trying to decide if I should wait until 2012 to get a Saturday or go for a Sunday wedding this year.  What does everyone think about Sunday weddings?

Thanks!

Re: Sunday Weddings?

• edited December 2011
    Love sunday weddings! 

BUT you have to get the time right - 4ish to 9ish. ok.

8pm ish to 1am ish - no way!

All depends on what you want. - What season are you looking for? If you want  a summer wedding - waiting to next year would give you a nice year and a half to plan, going with this year you might feel rushed to get it done in 6 months.

For fall, you would still have enough time to plan a beautiful wedding either this year or next. So it all depends on what you want.

Also, where are your guess coming from? If they are local, a sunday would probably be ok, if not, you might want the extra time for them to travel.

GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I am not a fan of Sunday weddings.  

If you had to do a Sunday, consider a Sunday brunch wedding or just doing cake / apps in the afternoon.  Something very casual.

Do you have a lot of OOT guests?  Would it mean an extra vacation day they would have to take in order to travel back on Monday?

I booked my wedding date 18 months out so IMO booking now for 2012 is not unreasonable and helps increase your chances of getting the date/time you want.
  • ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also am not a fan of Sunday weddings....but that could be because I like that to be my day of rest.
    I agree with Bat concerning thinking of OOT guests....if lots of your guests are local, that is one thing but I personally would not want to travel a far distance and stay over for a Sunday wedding.
    And, I also agree that you could totally book your 2012 wedding now (and you may get a better deal to boot!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a daytime Sunday wedding, but nighttime Sunday weddings are terrible. The one we went to basically acted as if it was a Saturday - we left at 11:45 and they still hadn't even cut the cake.  Knowing you have to get up to work the next day is a bit of a downer too.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the feedback.  This really helps.

One of the many reasons we are considering a Sunday is due to the guest count.  Some of the places we are looking at have a 150 person min. on Saturdays and I don't think we'll have more than 130 (if that many).

Most of my out of town guests will be coming from the west coast.  They will have to take of at least one weekday to travel so I'm not as concerned about them.  Most of our guests live a max of 2 hrs away.

I think if we do a Sunday I'll use Terri's suggestion and have it a bit earlier so people aren't getting home in the middle of the night.

Also, the reason I'm really trying to have the wedding this year rather than waiting until 2012 is because my fiance and I have been together forever (almost 14 yrs- since freshman year of college) and we already own a home together.  While there are a ton of pros to waiting until next year (save up more $$, get the exact date, venues, vendors etc) I'm not sure if that is worth it.

Again, thank you all so much for your opinions.  This board is great :)

• edited December 2011
    What county are you looking in?
    We had our wedding at the Pok Grand and they had a 125 minimum for Saturday night.

I'm sure others on here can give you some feedback on other venues as well.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_sunday-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:5aad146d-bd56-48bd-b55e-d5cee168b055Post:61a3143e-c6a8-4916-b1d4-2085cc859d76">Sunday Weddings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all! I'm trying to decide if I should wait until 2012 to get a Saturday or go for a Sunday wedding this year.  What does everyone think about Sunday weddings? Thanks!
    Posted by buttercup9711[/QUOTE]

I had a sunday afternoon wedding & it was fine.
  • edited December 2011
    we did a sunday afternoon wedding. mostly because it saved us a TON of money. the cost per person was significantly less and we didn't need to guarantee as many people. our venue had 100 person minimum on sunday but 200 people minimum for a saturday night, and it was about $50 more per person. no way that was going to happen. we had a blast at our wedding though, couldn't ask for more!

one note to thing about (which i didn't when we booked) if you do a afternoon wedding you need to start getting ready very early (we started at 430 am for a 11am ceremony).
  • edited December 2011
    FYI- I live in Fishkill.  I've gone to visit the Garrison and Highlands CC and really liked both.  We're also looking at venues in Northern NJ.
  • edited December 2011
    have you considered a friday night? it is also cheaper ...
  • jamiefourjamiefour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having a Sunday wedding but it is July 3rd, and the 4th is the next day.  That is the reason we chose this weekend.  I am having it at night but if it wasn't a holiday I would have had it in the afternoon.  Maybe try to look into having the Sunday of Labor day weekend.  Also I would look into Friday night as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    love fridays, sat. and SUNDAY weddings. :)
  • ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    i got married at The Links at UnionVale and they have a 100 minimum (at least they did when i got married in 09)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • yoko2011yoko2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think Sunday weddings are fine. I typically have had to take a day off (or more) for all the weddings I've gone to so if it's a Friday to travel for a Friday or Sat. or a Monday to travel on a Sunday - is here nor there. Friday nights may also be cheaper and for your local folks, an earlier Sunday wedding may be better time wise. I.e. avoiding an 8pm start.

You may want to start looking now as some venues may give you discount prices for the day you pick and lock in 2011 prices or perhaps not that big of a jump from 2011 to 2012.

FWIF, POK Grand I believe has a min of 125 for a Sat. but they also have a package for a Sat. daytime and Sunday weddings.

• foreverbossyforeverbossy member
    edited December 2011
    I had a Sunday wedding.  It was 3:30-9 (ceremony and reception).  Some people started leaving around 8:30.  If you time a Sunday wedding I think it could be great. 
    A few of my friends had Friday weddings and it was always difficult for me to go the ceremony due to work- I usually always missed it.  Also, I am usually always tired on Fridays nights from the work week.  Saturday is the best but Friday or Sunday could work but it depends on what is important to you
  • carolsdaycarolsday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a Sunday Wedding and my family and friends don't mind .  Honestly the important people to you would never miss you wedding no matter what day its on !

You have been together a long time I think waiting an extra year just to have your wedding on a sat is ridiculous.  My ceremony is at 5:30 and it will be over by 11:00
    You can do yours a liitle earlier like some past posts suggest.

Some people may be a little tired the next day, but not the whole world works mon-fri like all these posts are suggesting . Dr's . nurses , firefighters , policemen and MANY MORE dont have that kind of scheldule .  You will not be able to accomidate everyones schedule no matter what.

So be happy , do the best you can with time selection , but like I said the important people in your life , the people that love you and your fiancee wouldn't miss your big day because you have it on a sunday or that they might be a little tired the next day at work , IF they even have to work.

Good Luck and try not to stress to much you can never make everyone happy.
  • SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would suggest thinking of your guests as well. Depending on OOT and also taking into consideration different career schedules.

We are doing a Friday wedding because when you factor in the # of police, fire, nurses, teachers and retired people coming to our wedding, there is a much smaller percentage of 9 to 5 ers. It's just how our guest list works out because both of our parents and 1/2 of the bridal party work in education, FI is a police officer and we have a ton of nurse friends. Plus our family is on the older side with a lot of retired guests. There's probably only 25% of the guest list who have to leave work early to get there and our venue is probably a half hour drive for most.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_sunday-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:5aad146d-bd56-48bd-b55e-d5cee168b055Post:5f428a68-2ba2-411f-961c-9ab92636ced6">Re: Sunday Weddings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]have you considered a friday night? it is also cheaper ...
    Posted by sjsphish[/QUOTE]

we did a friday wedding to save on money.  My DH and I both aren't fans of Sunday weddings
  • LizColstonLizColston member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://westchester.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_sunday-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:5aad146d-bd56-48bd-b55e-d5cee168b055Post:9a6a8f9c-a977-4204-9d7f-635ad45b1340">Re: Sunday Weddings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sunday Weddings? : we did a friday wedding to save on money.  My DH and I both aren't fans of Sunday weddings
    Posted by chrisnjay05212010[/QUOTE]

<div>I think Friday weddings are just as discounted as Sundays.  But I agree that if you do a Sunday, go for a 4-10 or 3-9pm time frame.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing a Sunday wedding, and honestly would have done a Saturday, but we *were* thinking of our guests and moved the day. We have a bunch of friends that have a longstanding Saturday night thing (racing...I'm not a huge fan, but whatev), and we both knew that none of them would come to the wedding if we had had it on a Saturday night. One guy even left his OWN wedding on a Saturday night. Needless to say, he's divorced now...lol

We're getting married the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, and like someone else mentioned, we have a ton of guests who work non traditional hours. I would say atleast 50 people on the list are nurses, and another 50 are retired. I think they're excited about the wedding no matter what day its on.
  • tweedy927tweedy927 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine will be on a Sunday this year, May 29th.  It's a holiday weekend so most won't have to work the next day.  We were able to get it at a Friday price for an evening wedding which worked out for us.  i'm sending out my Save the Dates early so as not to cause conflicts with peole who may be going away.  Good luck.
  • rtabbitartabbita member
    edited December 2011

To be honest, I think you should do what makes you happy.  If that means having a Sunday wedding then so be it.  It's your special day and people should be there to celebrate with you and your soon to be.  I think a wedding, regardless of the day, is fine! 

• edited December 2011
    I am having a Sunday wedding, ceremony is starting at 3, cocktail from 330-430, and I believe it is all over by 930, so in all honesty all of your guests should be okay with that, I know some people out of town may not want to travel, but the way I see it is, anyone who wants to be there will make sure they are there even if it means taking a Monday off, hope this helps. =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards