New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Mohonk Mountain House

Anybody have any experience with this place?  I decided to nix Chalet On the Hudson and see this place instead.

Re: Mohonk Mountain House

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I spent a wknd at Mohonk and loved it.  The food was good- especially their Sunday brunch.  The grounds are gorgeous.  The service was impeccable when I was there. 

I know that they recently ran a special rate for weddings.

I would have loved to have been married there!  But, if guests stay at Mohonk, it will be very, very expensive for them.  Definitely inquire about blocking rooms off at a less expensive hotel.  Also, the packages do not really include the amount of alcohol taht other venues will include.  I believe they include a short period of an open bar, a toast and wine service with dinner.  Mohonk is run in the Quaker tradition, and I don't know how thrilled they are about the alcohol, but it is of course a big money maker.  We were speaking with the bartender there and she mentioned strict alcohol policies.  I have the feeling you will pay a high rate to include a full bar (if that's what you're looking for), but I really don't know any exact figures.

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've thought about it, but I don't think its worth the price. The views are unparalleled, I'll give you that, but the packages almost all start above $100 per person, and none of them offer an open bar for the duration of the party.

My fella and I had our first kiss up there, so Mohonk is definitely one of the places that has significance for us personally. I just don't wanna mortgage my LIFE to pay for a wedding there.
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    grounds, etc. are gorgeous but yes, guests staying there will be paying a high price (rooms are upwards of 300) and they have strict rules on alcohol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hear the place is beautiful! But like other have said it might be very very expensive for guests.
  • Options
    wdubin122wdubin122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it is a bit pricey.  We are having a daytime wedding and no one is a big drinker so we are going to pay based on consumption.  I think there are a couple of other hotels in New Paltz for anyone looking for a less expensive option.  I'm going to be seeing 5 different venues so who knows if I'll even pick this one.  I think I'm leaning toward the Garrison.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want  a daytime wedding, it might be worth looking into, as they require a daytime wedding, which turns a lot of brides away.  My SIL/BIL were married there in 2008.  They had the ceremony in the gardens and it was the most beautiful ceremony I've ever seen.  There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and it was gorgeous.  However, as PPs have said, Mohonk is pricey, their packages don't include as much as other places, the rooms are $$$ and alcohol is severely restricted both in quantity and location of where drinking is allowed.  Also, having lived in New Paltz, and now living nearby, there is not a hotel in New Paltz that I would let my guests stay in.  There is hope of a new Hampton Inn coming to town, if the locals don't run it out like they usually do, but who knows when that will be done?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It looks like a very interesting location! Supposedly it was the inspiration for the hotel in The Shining....but not quite so creepy!

Anthony Bourdain's show featured it in his Hudson Valley episode. Really good episoide, actually. It was cool to see him come up to different spots along the river.
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_mohonk-mountain-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:5bebaacb-429a-44bf-9b60-8cadd77ab398Post:dff4e19d-9e10-4ac0-9c3f-771455826990">Re: Mohonk Mountain House</a>:
    [QUOTE]It looks like a very interesting location! Supposedly it was the inspiration for the hotel in The Shining....but not quite so creepy! Anthony Bourdain's show featured it in his Hudson Valley episode. Really good episoide, actually. It was cool to see him come up to different spots along the river.
    Posted by kristen12345[/QUOTE]

It is worth a visit.  The grounds are gorgeous and great hiking!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in one a few years ago so hopefully the food has gotten better (we hit up Fridays afterwards because the food was bad).  Yes, the views are great but I thought the ballroom was sad and they have very strict alcohol restrictions (i.e. if the cocktail hour is outside then no alcohol is served).  And while it could have been the menu the b&g picked for the price they paid they received very little.
  • Options
    bridaljoybridaljoy member
    edited December 2011

Outside is beautiful, the inside reminded me of the movie with jack nickolson the shining.

• Options
    limocatlimocat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to a wedding there a few years ago and it really is beautiful. We also stayed up there our engagement weekend. I would say the food was mediocre. I wasn't particularly impressed with it.  They only do daytime weddings and there is not much to do at night there if you are staying there-it's pretty family oriented.  But, you can't beat the grounds or the views. Also, they have these really nice large porches, so if it starts to pour, you can sneak under them for your ceremony.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Views are gorgeous.  My understanding is it is rarely very private though, as there can be a lot of people milling about the property, tourists, etc.  And I agree with PP, there is no where in New Paltz I would really recommend staying.  The closest hotel would be Poughkeepsie or Kingston, I think.  There are a couple of cottage rentals in High Falls and probably some house rentals around.  Personally, if I were going to a wedding there (and I wasn't from the area, which I am) I would hate to stay so far away and not get to take advantage of what the area offers -- awesome hikes, rock climbing, etc.

Also, if you are getting married in high season, the drive through New Paltz to Mohonk can be a real drag (not that that would keep me from booking it.)
  • Options
    woodfrogswoodfrogs member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Mohonk has a speciific appeal. We wanted a daytime wedding and encouraged our guests to bring hiking clothes for after the wedding(reception done by 6pm).
    The cocktail hour was indoors and we paid for extra alcohol during the recepetion, but we didn't have a lot of big drinkers, so it wasn't a big deal. OOT guests stayed at B&Bs locally or in Pok. The food was great, the garden beautiful. You get a wedding coordinator along with the pkg to make sure that everything runs smoothly. They only do one wedding per day. After our party was done we changed and went for a walk around the lake. We were not disappointed and I wouldn't have done it anywhere else.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Looked at Mohonk, its beautiful but pricey! Also rumored to beign renovations next year, may cause a problem for 2011/12 brides.....
    IN the area- Villa Roma (eh), Hudson Valley Resort & Spa (beautiful outside tent) or Honor's Haven (next to the old Nevele). all worth checkiing out with similar feel! .
  • Options
    AllisonT41611AllisonT41611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mohonk provided us with accomodations lists of motels, hotels, bed and breakfasts to share with our guests; knowing their accomodations could be pricy for out of town guests. They told me for our 2011, April wedding that the renovations would only be on the main stair case inside. Take a look at their website, they are having specials for spring weddings and sunday weddings, gorgeous location!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards