Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

For those who are at work today.....

What do you do for a living?
Do you actually have work that needs to be done today, or are you just warming a chair?
Will you get to leave early?

Clearly, I am bored.

Re: For those who are at work today.....

• Options
    I work in cancer research.

I have PLENTY to get done today, but it's mostly end of year patient file fireproofing so it isn't fun stuff so my chair is very warm.

Apparently we get to leave around 2, but we'll see.  I'm guessing closer to 3 which for me is only an hour early. 
  • Options
    I am an Executive Administratvie Assistant in a retirement community.

I only have work to do if a resident comes in and needs help with something (after their look of surprise that there is someone in the office). Otherwise, I'm warming a chair, working on logic puzzles, and cruising TK.

2:00 is what I've been told (and I managed to work out my time this week that I have to leave at 2:00 or I'll have overtime).
  • Options
    I'm in IT.

I do have some work that needs to be done, but I'll likely procrastinate and study instead.  So, technically, I'm in the chair warming dept today.

I will be leaving early.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    I work at an Employment Center.

I could work on my stats but that'll take 5 minutes. So I'm basically warming a chair. Its been dead all week. Apparently people aren't looking for jobs at the moment.

I will not be allowed to leave early. I couldn't even take a vacation day today because two people are out of the office. Its a cruel punishment.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    I am a legal assistant, I have work to be done, but feel more like I am going to be lazy and warm a chair, and I am hoping to leave early!!
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    TEX MEX!! Hiya buddy! I'm not at work today, but when I am at work...

I'm a therapist.

I always have stuff I COULD be doing, I suppose.

And I took the day off to see out the new year right.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    "I'm a therapist."

Hi, Fishy!
    What kind of therapist?
  • Options
    My official title is a bailiff but I'm not the gun carrying or uniform kind. I basically assist the judge in all her paperwork, act as her correspondence between parties and do the "all rise" speal, etc. etc.

Just have one case coming in this morning...

And then out of here at noon!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image> Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I would fall into this category.

I'm a graphic designer.
    I am actually working on a project right now.
    And yeah we get to leave in an hour and a half. :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I also do cancer research, but the laboratory side.

Our institute is closed for the week, so I'm hanging out waaaay too much on here.  But, I thought I'd share.
  • Options
    What do you do for a living?
    Sports advertising....scheduling commericals to air

Do you actually have work that needs to be done today, or are you just warming a chair?
    Negative...we finished Monday already, and thats with getting in an hour late because of the snow.

Will you get to leave early?
    I suppose I shouldn't complain since we'll get out around 3pm...but I'll complain anyway since we'll be sitting here doing nothing until then for appearances sake.  Our boss just thinks it 'looks better' that we be here.  Looks better to who, I don't know since he's the one in charge in this building, and almost no one is here today anyway.
    The ride in was pretty dangerous too which also had people in bad moods about getting out early.  Vent over!
  • Options
    I work in online marketing.

They took away all our bank holidays next year, which blows. And reduced our vacation. We never get Christmas Eve or NYE off, though. I took Christmas Eve off for travel, and a lot of other people in the office did too. Since I'm now at home, there's no need to waste my much-needed vacation time on today.

And I was told yesterday that we'd get to leave at noon, which means 3.5 hours of work. And yes, I can actually fill that time with work, even if I don't want to. In fact, I probably have more work to do than that, but if my boss confirms I can leave at noon, I will. He probably forgot what day it is, though. He works about 14 hours a day, so I feel bad leaving early. But then, he also works in another state.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_those-work-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0ac9e2ba-fa2e-4e19-847d-52bbe93b0bd7Post:233b9efc-e656-499a-9544-ab488aac5f76">For those who are at work today.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]What do you do for a living? Do you actually have work that needs to be done today, or are you just warming a chair? Will you get to leave early? Clearly, I am bored.
    Posted by txmom21[/QUOTE]

I'm a senior account manager for a company that sells software to farm dealerships and farmers.

This time of year I rarely have work to be done, no I don't get to leave early. Bah.
  • Options
    Mental Health, children and families. I work in a residential treatment center for kids and have my own private practice on the side.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    txmom, it's a TK rule you have to answer your own poll. . .

Luckily I am not at work today, but that's not to say the lazy heifer didn't work real hard to try and get me in! I work the front desk at a hotel, weekends and whenever someone needs to take off. The girl I fill in for takes off constantly, and she gave me a serious guilt trip to come in today (3-11pm) but I refused. ::evil laugh::
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I'm a Graphic Designer/ Marketing Communications/Give Her Theshit No One Else Wants person.

I'm working today, updating some product pricing on the web and finishing some brochure layouts that are due today. I have a competitor environmental comparison I need to finish by 1.10, but I may cut out early and leave that for next week.

My 8yr old is with me at work today and we just took down the lobby Christmas tree. She's had about enough of sitting quietly in Mom's office, so I think we are about to leave and go back home to get the stuff I forgot to pack this morning to take to DH for tonight's parties.
  • Options
    I work in grad school admissions.

My boss has been on vacation for the last two weeks and I've finished everything she left for me already, and most of the people I work with are on vacation, so no.  Occasionally something little pops up, but nothing major.

On the day before Thanksgiving, they let us go at 2 or 3 o'clock, so I'm hoping that happens again today.  But I'm not holding my breath.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_those-work-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0ac9e2ba-fa2e-4e19-847d-52bbe93b0bd7Post:8b2b508c-1850-4c98-9dbd-42fce1c22865">Re: For those who are at work today.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]txmom, it's a TK rule you have to answer your own poll. . . Posted by mwhitson14[/QUOTE]

I did. It's up top, under Stack's post (I think).
  • Options
    I work on a boat in the islands. This is our busiest time of year.  Asking for a day off would be received with laughter.

That said, the weather sucks and I was just sent home.  On one hand I really do not want to be out in the weather.  On the other, no work no pay Frown.  It could have been a better end to the year.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm a legal assistant. I have a bit of work to do here and there. I've heard the office is closing early, but I have no idea what "early" means today. I think it really all depends on what kind of mood my boss is in and how much he needs to get done today. 
  • Options
    I'm a CPA.  I work for a large natural gas utility company, primarily in regulatory reporting.  Yes, I have year-end stuff to do (or prepre for), but I'm not real motivated to get a lot done.  The office closes at 2.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I am at work today...

I'm a project expediter at a sheet metal/hvac company that just HAPPENS to be owned by... my parents. Haha. I have some things I COULD do... but I'm tired, and don't feel like it... so here I am on TK :] Hoping I can leave early today... no one has mentioned it yet though.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I am a legal assistant as well.

I had work to do this morning, but I already finished with it. Right now I should be sorting through the giant pile of paper work that is literally up to my eyeballs, but I'm not.

It's snowing here, and the ride into work this morning was terrible. The roads are covered in ice. The firm was supposed to close at 4 today (it usually closes at 6), but we just got an e-mail that the firm is closing at 3.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_those-work-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0ac9e2ba-fa2e-4e19-847d-52bbe93b0bd7Post:4fbcdfb5-e8ea-438e-8943-d6a37fb29331">Re: For those who are at work today.....</a>:
    [QUOTE]What do you do for a living? Sports advertising....scheduling commericals to air Do you actually have work that needs to be done today, or are you just warming a chair? Negative...we finished Monday already, and thats with getting in an hour late because of the snow. Will you get to leave early? I suppose I shouldn't complain since we'll get out around 3pm...but I'll complain anyway since we'll be sitting here doing nothing until then for appearances sake.  Our boss just thinks it 'looks better' that we be here.  Looks better to who, I don't know since he's the one in charge in this building, and almost no one is here today anyway. The ride in was pretty dangerous too which also had people in bad moods about getting out early.  Vent over!
    Posted by YaPuppy[/QUOTE]

What part of LI are you in. I'm in NHP and it was terrible this morning. Right now it looks like the snow stop/slowed down. But the roads are probably still really icy.
  • Options
    Ya and Angie - I had no idea it was supposed to snow.  I've heard the roads are bad, but I don't plan on leaving until later when it's supposed to turn to rain.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Ooops sorry :) Missed it!
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I work in a 24hr call center for BMW so I have to be at work. We're not allowed to take time off for holidays (unless our normal schedule has that day of the week off).

It's surprisingly busy for a Holiday though and I won't get out of here til 5pm.
  • Options
    I'm in IT.

I have lots of work I could be doing, but no one is really around today so I'm majorly procrastinating; but that's the beauty of what I do, sometimes these things just take a long time ;)

We're getting out at 3 today. For some reason, however, the buses that take people to the train station are leaving at 1:50. Clearly I should have taken the train today.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Here I am....

I am a Hotel Sales/Catering Manager.

Pretty much being a chair warmer...the phones are dead and there is not much in the coming weeks to prepare for.

I was supposed to leave early but the boss man is sick and cranky and I don't think he is going to let us go anymore.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sucrets - I heard it might snow/rain. I was hoping that if it was going to do one or the other it would be rain, but nope. The snow really isn't bad, it's the ice. I saw three accidents this morning driving into work and I almost got into an accident myself... and a woman here at work got into an accident. The roads are just too slippery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards