Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Do you think it's rude to give a wedding gift in person?

2»

Re: Do you think it's rude to give a wedding gift in person?

• Options
    And to me, it's an important part of showing my love to the couple to put that much effort into the presentation of the gift. And no I don't think it's the same thing as photos in TYs.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    TLV, that's fine.  But what you're saying by bringing it to the reception is that your love has to be on display at the table.You have options.  It can be given before or after the big day.  If you decide to bring it to the reception then you're deciding that YOUR pretty packaging is more important than following proper etiquette and the couple's convenience. 
  • Options
    Every wedding I have ever been to had a gift table. I don't think they would set up a table if they didn't think people would bring gifts.
  • Options
    I don't think it is rude really, it is just not correct etiquetteSee, I feel like that is a contradictory statement - unless I'm wrong, etiquette is in place to prevent rudeness. How can it not be rude but also incorrect etiquette?See Banana's explanation on not being rude but still not following etiquette. She explains it better than I could. There are a lot of etiquette rules, that when broken, do not offend me. This is one of them.I don't think anyone is being ungrateful when they say they are accustomed to gifts being sent prior to the wedding. It's just what I'm familiar with. Guests brought a few gifts to our wedding, maybe 3 people, and I certainly wasn't offended.
  • Options
    "I don't think they would set up a table if they didn't think people would bring gifts." Totally not the point. Yes, people are going to ignore this rule of etiquette. Just because it is common doesn't make it correct.
  • Options
    [i]If you decide to bring it to the reception then you're deciding that YOUR pretty packaging is more important than following proper etiquette and the couple's convenience.[/i]Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never brought a present to a wedding because I wanted to show off the wrapping paper. It's just common here for people to bring gifts to the wedding and if I'm bringing a gift to a fancy event I am going to wrap it accordingly. It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with showing the couple how much we care. Additionally, if I manage to order a gift ahead of time or wait until after the event for whatever reason, I still have it shipped to me first for wrapping before forwarding it on to the couple. Sure it costs me a little more but I think it is more personal than just checking the "gift wrap" box  when buying it online or having some stranger do it half-assed in the store. But that's just me and slightly off the topic of this thread, anyway.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    But what you're saying by bringing it to the reception is that your love has to be on display at the table.I disagree.  I do agree that I am not following an etiquette rule, but the question was "do you think it is rude?" and I don't, nor does anyone else I know in real life. And for the record, I haven't actually brought a gift to a wedding in 2 years. Question: why is it then ok to bring gifts to showers? Yes I know the point is to shower the bride with gifts, but if we're all so concerned about making it convenient for the receiver, then aren't video showers a better idea after all? I guess I'm just with east in that I think it's ridiculous that anyone could ever be considered "rude" for giving someone else a gift.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    And ditto bubbalub also.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    This is a joke, right? A gift is a gift is a gift. If someone is going to go to the trouble and expense of giving you something, let them decide how it gets to you and just be grateful for it. Now, it's rude if the B&G are concerned with HOW they got the gift.
  • Options
    This same debate is going on in my house right now! In my family- you bring cards with cash/checks to wedding or ship your gift before hand- we don't do gift tables. In FI's they bring presents and actually have an opening party the next day (something he can not stand!) Our issue is we live in Michigan now, the wedding is in Chicago and we are driving to the honeymoon which is in Tennessee and then driving back to Michigan afterwards- so we either have to take gifts with us or have his parents take them with them after the wedding and we wont be back to to their house- which is 2 hours south of Chicago until Christmas (wedding is the end of this month). So while I would love any gifts we get- we are trying to get FIs parents to spread the word about our traveling issue and see if people will ship them before or after- but most of the people in his family say they do not ship... so it looks like we wont be getting what ever gifts we do receive until Christmas. FIs mom herself says his grandma has already bought us a gift and is bringing it to the wedding and apparently its huge! So while its not going to make or break our wedding- its just a little issue we'll be dealing with when the time comes.
  • Options
    If you decide to bring it to the reception then you're deciding that YOUR pretty packaging is more important than following proper etiquette and the couple's convenience.Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never brought a present to a wedding because I wanted to show off the wrapping paper. It's just common here for people to bring gifts to the wedding and if I'm bringing a gift to a fancy event I am going to wrap it accordingly. It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with showing the couple how much we care.Did you miss my point?  The statement was in reference to those who decide that because the gift was wrapped by the giver in a pretty way then it's suddenly OK to bring it to the reception.I agree that the couple should appreciate any and all gifts given but this is about their convenience.And the reason why it's OK at a shower and not at a wedding?  It's because the expressed purpose of a shower is FOR gifts.  Plus, at the shower, the guest of honor most likely isn't traveling with her own portable arsenal of stuff that needs to be transported with her.  It's maybe a suitcase.  After the wedding, we had our bags, DH's tux, other odds and ends from the wedding like our signature mat AND the gifts. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards