Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I'm curious what is normal for couples

2»

Re: I'm curious what is normal for couples

• Options
    we have a lot of the same friends so we always go together... except when they watch the ufc type fights, i dont go with them. so i guess you could call that a boys night. they stay out all hours after those fights! i have done that with the girls at work a few times too, neither of us mind as long as we call so the other person doesnt worry.
  • Options
    I want to start off by saying (before anybody thinks we're complete weirdos) that FI and I DO have independent time ... but we have it while the other one is at work.I have a typical 9-5, M-F office schedule, FI works for a bank, but a bank that believes in "retail" hours, so he does work weekends and doesn't get home until 9/9:30 sometimes.We schedule our "independent" time on our days off. Like on a weekday, FI does D&D with the guys (I am marrying the King of The Geeks, I am aware, lol). On a Saturday that he's working, I go out w/ my friends or my mom.As far as nights go, though, we're both not really night life people, we seriously go to bed at 11-the latest on most nights (We like our sleep). We'd both seriously would prefer staying home reading a book, gaming or doing puzzles or something than going out.So I guess if one of us actually liked going out, it probably wouldn't be a huge deal, but its really not for us. We get our time together and time apart just the same.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    We go out together and seperately. We have a lot of couple friends so a lot of times it is together but sometimes he'll go out if I am not feeling it and vice versa.I really think its unhealthy to not go out seperately, we all need our girls nights!I would get worried though if he didn't come home until 6am or something, just because the bars close at 2am and its like, what are you doing?Usually if one of us drinks to much on a girls/guys night the other will go pick up the other person just because its always better to sleep in your own bed...I don't think its necessary to spend every night together b/c that is not realistic! Work travel happens, weekend guys/girls trips, etc. That being said, I really hate sleeping by myself.
  • Options
    We split it about half and half I'd say. We have 3 pretty much separate groups of friends: my single girlfriends, his single guy friends, and our couple friends.   A lot of it for us has to do with his wonky work schedule, since he's almost always working weekends, if I only went out with him I'd never go out.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    "Do you ladies go out to bars once in awhile, without your FI or Husband? like for a stagette or even just a ladies night?" Yes, all the time. And it isn't necessarily a "girls" night, I have male friends too. "Do you let FI or Husband go out once in awhile for guys nights? Would it bother you if he stayed out for the whole night once in awhile." Yes, all the time. At it isn't necessarily a guys night, he has female friends too. He doesn't stay out all night a lot but he's been known to stroll in at dawn occasionally. "would he be bothered if you stayed out and had a blast with your girls once in awhile?" No, he encourages it. I have my own interests and need my own space outside the relationship. "Do you feel that going out for the whole night is against what being a couple is about, do you have a need for your partner to be home in bed with you everyday for the rest of your life?" No, we've both been known to walk in a dawn after tearing it up all night. Or, we've opted to stay at a friend's house rather than driving home.
  • Options
    I work nights so FI goes out without me all the time. He has a friend he goes out with every Friday night.I go out without him all the time because I go with my workmates when we get off work which is around midnight and he is usually asleep already.I don't mind him spending the whole night out as long as I know where he is. This isn't a clingy thing, its a he is a bad driver and I'll think the worst thing. Same deal with me going out, he needs to know where I am.
  • Options
    Do you ladies go out to bars once in awhile, without your FI or Husband? Oh, absolutely. I don't have a ton of girl friends still left in Memphis, but the ones I do have -- I really enjoy a night out with them. Do you let FI or Husband go out once in awhile for guys nights? Would it bother you if he stayed out for the whole night once in awhile. I don't "let" him do anything, he's a grown man, but I get what you're saying. No, it doesn't bother me at all. About a month ago, he had some college friends in town and wound up staying at one of his friend's house the entire weekend. It didn't bother me at all. I liked the alone time. would he be bothered if you stayed out and had a blast with your girls once in awhile? Nope -- he knows that I don't have a ton of friends here, so whenever a night out presents itself, he always encourages me to go and have a blast. He just likes me to text him occasionally so he knows I'm okay. Do you feel that going out for the whole night is against what being a couple is about, do you have a need for your partner to be home in bed with you everyday for the rest of your life? Uh...no? Don't get me wrong, that weekend that FI was gone, I could not wait for him to get back in bed with me, but I don't feel that it went against our relationship in any way. I think it's healthy to do things separately. I'm more inclined to side-eye those couples who are incapable of doing anything separately than I am the couples who split up for a night or two.
  • Options
    Do you feel that going out for the whole night is against what being a couple is about, do you have a need for your partner to be home in bed with you everyday for the rest of your life?I don't understand this question.  DH works overnight shifts 1 week out of every 6 weeks.  Would that "go against what being a couple is about" since he doesn't sleep in bed with me? Also, what I meant by half and half was that about half of the time we go out it is with each other and other couples, and half of the time it's us with each other's separate friends. Although there is a lot of overlap. I don't know how to explain it, but the important part is that neither of us ever get mad if the other wants to go out without each other. We let each other know we're safe if we stay somewhere else, but there have never been any issues that would make me question him going out without me, or vice versa.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    We both go out every once now and then not as a couple.  And we're always home before 2am, usually home by midnight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards