Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Poll-ish

How do you feel about toothbrush sharing?  Towels?  (not like hand towels, I mean bath towels)I think toothbrush sharing is gross (even with FI).  I love him, and I share spit with him on a regular basis, but I don't need his food particles.Towel sharing bugs me too.  I'm not sure why.  FI tends to grab whatever towel is closest, and it bugs me when he uses mine.  I don't think it's gross or anything, it just bothers me.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.

Re: Poll-ish

• Options
    I'm fine with towel sharing but I would NEVER let FI use my toothbrush.
  • Options
    No.  On both counts.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I don't mind toothbrush sharing. I do mind towel sharing.  Hmm.
  • Options
    We shared a toothbrush once.  Towel sharing only bugs me if the towel is damp. 
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    Honestly I used to have a serious issue with toothbrush sharing.  DH used mine once when we weren't engaged yet because he hadn't started to keep one at my house yet, and at first I freaked out because he didn't ask first.  I've since gotten more used to it, but oddly I don't think either of us has used the other's toothbrush since then, so maybe that's why I'm ok with it. Towels don't really bother me that much, but I do wash towels a lot more often than I used to, partially because DH is like your FI and grabs the closest one, not "his."
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Toothbrush sharing is gross.Towel sharing isn't so bad. Our problem is that FI tends to leave his wet towel on the floor somewhere in his apartment, and then it doesn't dry, so when I'm visiting him, I want MY towel that I HUNG UP because it is DRY. I'd be pretty mad if he used mine when his was damp.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Both are gross. My ex tried to share my toothbrush. I immediately replaced it and bought two new ones. He's just gross in general, actually.
  • Options
    No to both. The towel is not as bad I guess but unless it was a dire emergency (the likes of which I cannot even think of), no.
  • Options
    Never toothbrush sharing. I was against towel sharing, but have given up.
  • Options
    I'm fine with towel sharing but I'll kill him if I catch him using my pumice stone one more time.  It's supposed to be to keep my feet smooth and I caught him using it to remove paint from his hands.
  • Options
    Towel sharing - Yes. Toothbrush sharing - Hell no!
  • Options
    Gross on both.  I can't condone this.
  • Options
    TLV, didn't you post about that here before? Or was that some random lurker?Definitely not on the toothbrush. I don't think towel sharing is gross, but I don't see any need to. I have more than enough towels for us to use a new one each time.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Towel sharing as in one that's been used.FI doesn't get it.  He gives me that blank, deer-in-headlights look every time I shriek "AHHH You used my towel again!!!!" from the bathroom.

• Options
    No toothbrush sharing at all, ever. i even leave a space in the toothbrush holder so they aren't too close to each other.Towel sharing, i used to hate this but since we have moved in together i have gotten used to it because he just grabs a towel and uses it not matter who's it is.
  • Options
    my husband has really curly hair (fro-ish) and it kinda looks like something else.  when he uses my towel it looks like i've wiped pubes all over myself.  therefore sharing towels is a nono in my house!toothbrushes are very personal as well.  no food bits from other people in my mouth please!
  • Options
    Toothbrush sharing?  I don't think about it.  Towels?  Meh.  I use what's handy.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    It grosses me out.  All of it.  If I absolutely had to I would do it.  In fact there was a time when he had to use my toothbrush.  I let the hot water run over it for a good minute after each of us were done though. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I don't think I could share a toothbrush with anyone but FI though.  It does help that he has good teeth too, like if they were full of plaque or stained I think I'd be more grossed out by it. 
  • Options
    emergency only!
  • Options
    Toothbrush - no way Towel - no big deal for me.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Ew to both, but I like a clean towel after each shower.
  • Options
    Unacceptable, and no. We each have a hook and use our own. I caught FI using my loofah once and bought him his own.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm pretty laid back about this stuff. Probably because I shared a bathroom with 3 sisters growing up.
  • Options
    We spent the night at my mom and dad's cabin last weekend. I forgot to pack his toothbrush, so I let him use mine. This is not something I would do on a regular basis, but every once in a blue moon will have to do. I was more okay with him using mine than not brushing at all. Towels don't bug me. He always grabs whichever is closest. I don't really keep track.
  • Options
    Toothbrush sharing: EWWW!Towel sharing is acceptable in a pinch but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    i wont share my towel with anyone but fi (umm, like if roomate showers and then dries his balls with it, and then i shower and dry my face with it... not ok.)and i wont share my toothbrush with anyone,  period.
  • Options
    I think I used H's toothbrush once, we were out of town and I had forgotten mine. He was a good sport about it.We don't typically share towels, but I've been known to grab his if I forget to bring mine into the bathroom.
  • Options
    Towels I'm okay with. I pretty much wash the towels once a week (though we each have 3 - they're different colors). What's kind of gross is that if I don't wash his towel, he won't just throw it in the laundry and grab a new one. He'll sort of use that towel indefinitely. So I'm in charge of towel-washing. Toothbrushes - ewwwwww. FI accidentally used my toothbrush once (we had just gotten new ones and he got confused about the colors) and I had to throw it out right after that. I'm REALLY OCD about anything that has to do with my mouth, though. I have to brush my teeth with warm water, in a certain way, before I take a shower. I HATE chewing gum and I HATE mint. (Lately I've been using a cinnamon-clove toothpaste that is really nice, and orange listerine.) Like, I hate those two things more than anything in the world. More than any other food or smell, or anything. I also hate watching people brush their teeth, so I'm glad FI isn't one of those people who walk around the house with a toothbrush.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    What's kind of gross is that if I don't wash his towel, he won't just throw it in the laundry and grab a new one. He'll sort of use that towel indefinitely.My FI does that too.  I think it's gross.  I'm not a clean towel every time person, but about 3 uses of the towel and I'm ready for a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards