Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Urban Wedding Legends?

Tiered weddings, asking people to pay a fee to come to the wedding etc...Do these things reallllly happen? Or are they just fun stories that keep the knot an intriguing anthropology experiment or a playground for trolls?I still can't believe people put registry info on invites. I know that is a for realz though. Thoughts?

Re: Urban Wedding Legends?

• Options
    Weeeeelllll, I'll tell ya, that I had a small wedding and big reception the same day following the ceremony. Call it tiered, but it worked perfectly for us.But yeah. I think these things really happen. I know of people where most of these things have happened.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Potluck reception happened to me; it was a disaster.2-3 hour gaps between the ceremony and reception happened to me; it was not a Catholic gap, just bar hopping.
  • Options
    See I don't think of small ceremony to big reception as tiered. I can understand why just close family would be invited to the ceremony. It is NMS being the Catholic and all but I just have really never heard of some of those things actually happening. I have seen some bad stuff don't get me wrong. I can even see why on first glance people think these ideas are very feasible. I just don't see how no one talked them down from it before they went through it.
  • Options
    I'm going to a wedding on a Monday.  A Monday!  So after that I can pretty much believe everything.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Options
    Mocha: confession, I love gaps when there is a fun place to go drink.I probably won't love them the second I fully emerge from my, 'hanging on to college phase.'
  • Options
    In my experience, it has a lot to do with age and not having been to many weddings. It's super tacky, but some people seriously just don't know better. Doesn't make it ok, but I do think these people really exist.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Small wedding and big reception is one thing.  Big wedding and small reception is another.  Oh, hey come watch me get married, bring a gift but I am not feeding or watering you.D@mn well better gin & tonic me if I sat through your lame ceremony.  (present company excluded, fish.  i am sure your ceremony was fantastic.  of course, i watched your slide show to Hungry Like the Wolf so that may temper my thoughts.)Also, I have never gotten an invitation without a registry card.  Saved my @$$ every time.  Makes it easier for me.  Who are we to pretend that a wedding is NOT a gift giving occasion.  It is.  Make it easy for me, please.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    Normally I would love it too, but A) there was no food; booze on an empty stomach sucks, B) there was only one bar, the Legion where the reception was to be held.Other weddings we've been to with a gap haven't bothered me because there's bars to go to and food in an hour or so.
  • Options
    I went to a wedding where the bride and groom left for 2.5 hours and there was no food - it was being cooked. Yes, some guests did leave, I wanted to leave too.
  • Options
    Oh, NQB, my sister's wedding was on a Tuesday.  That was what she could afford at the destination that she wanted.  It worked for us...
    Bi-oh-rama

"smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill

• Options
    I swear to you, I would never invite anyone ANYWHERE and not get them drunk and feed them. Ever.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Not a wedding but I went to a party where the hosts were on the Atkin's Diet and when we showed up they were running late and still grilling a steak.  For themselves.  The rest of us were only served cheese.  After a few hours we were starving.  I think it was the 4th of July so we couldn't even leave if we didn't want to miss the fireworks.  I ordered a pizza to their house.  That REALLY HAPPENED.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287

My Blog

• Options
    If it was a cool location I could sort of handle it but it's in Long Island in October.  On a holiday so we have the day off but NO ONE invited to the wedding lives in Long Island.  They just found a pretty place and wanted a discount.  It's next week and I predict I will have three more tacky stories by the time it's over.

My Blog

• Options
    cheese?  I LOVE me some cheese, but I need bread, crackers and an assortment of meats as well.I hope you left the crusts in their couch.
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    I've been to a 100 person potluck. Worst effing food I've ever eaten. And not a damn vegetable in sight. Seriously, if you're going to make 600 (sh!tty) pierogi by hand, couldn't you dump a couple bags of salad into a bowl and set out dressing?I've been to two weddings with gaps for picture taking. They weren't Catholic, so I hate the bad press we get for it. One the ceremony and reception were on the same grounds of a golf course. So we had no where to go but stand in the lobby and wait for the reception venue to open. The other was in FI's hometown, and we ended up going to a pizza dive and eating pizza and drinking beer. The last thing I wanted to do after that was go to their reception until 12am.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Oh I love cheese too but there was no bread in sight.  And it wasn't even good cheese.  More like those yellow cubes you get from Sam's Club.  What's worse is they were filthy rich.

My Blog

• Options
    wow...that was weird.  i posted before that second post came up...anyway.It was a Tuesday in Lake Tahoe in January.  Originally planned for on mountain, it was at a hotel because #1 paying $60 a head for just a ride up the hill was too much and #2 My mother threw a fit.Imagine a mother throwing a fit.  Hard to see, I am sure.
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    ooh, NQB, if I was having cheese I would serve you an aged sharp white cheddar, smoked gouda, herbed goat and probably a Roquefort or blue to go with the wine.And my BF would make his famous brie:  Wrap brie in a roll of Pilsbury crescent roll dough and back for 15 minutes or so.  Pure goodness.
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    back = bake
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    Damn you smokey now I want brie so bad.  I'm on a diet!I got engaged in Lake Tahoe.  My first (and so far only) time there.  So beautiful.  That's a destination I could almost see going to a Tuesday wedding for.  Suffolk County not so much.

My Blog

• Options
    And my BF would make his famous brie: Wrap brie in a roll of Pilsbury crescent roll dough and back for 15 minutes or so. Pure goodness.you could invite me to a tiered reception with a gap and make me pay for booze and I wouldn't care as long as you served me that... it would make the trip, and the blender I bought from your registry that I knew about bc it was on the invite, worth it.
  • Options
    Ok, I get that it's pretty self-explanatory, but is there any secret to the crescent roll brie?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I've been to 2 BYOB weddings. Weirdly those are the only 2 that I have been to that didn't have 3+ hour long gaps.

• Options
    I'm having a gap so I don't hate.  As long as there's a bar nearby I'm good.  My wedding is in a resort town so there's going to be a lot of stuff to do.

My Blog

• Options
    Like what, NQB?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Well most people are going to stay in the same hotel which is convenient to the beach, boardwalk and shops.  If there's inclement weather there's also a crapload of outlet shops nearby.  My family has had three weddings in this town so there's all on board. I'm Catholic so we're limited with the ceremony times we have.

My Blog

• Options
    See I don't really get the Catholic excuse. As a Catholic I know how the wedding mass schedule goes buttt why not find a venue that will work with your timing? Mine just let me start whenever we wanted. I am not trying to be snarky. Was I just ridiculously lucky the venue was flexible? I would think any venue would be flexible with the start time considering the money you are paying them... unless they line up weddings like some wedding factories do.
  • Options
    Yeah, I just think it's funny when brides think that people are going to want to get all dressed up and then go shopping. No matter what there is to do, gaps suck, in my opinion.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's the whole reason but yeah when you're given a choice between 9 am and 1:30 pm and all the reception halls can't start a reception until 5 that's kind of what happens.  I know people on this board hate all gaps but I'm so used to them.

My Blog

• Options
    I don't think gaps are that big of a deal if it is commonly done. Everyone here knows to expect it and we usually all grab drinks together or go to someones house in between. It's still annoying, but I don't even really think about it anymore. But, I would probably not have a gap because everyone from my family is OOT and it is not the norm for their weddings.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards