Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Rep your local cuisine!

So I just woke up from a food-induced coma with a very happy belly full of Chicago deep-dish pizza. We had a late night snack of Chicago style hot dogs last night.My name is rhodesign, and I'm a Chicago-food junkie.So, what's good in your neck of the woods? Pimp your local fare--NY bagels, Cincinnati chili, Louisiana gumbo, etc. Tell us what's the best and why!

Re: Rep your local cuisine!

• Options
    Alaskan Halibut. It's the best there is :)Arizona has nothing to offer imo
  • Options
    Kentucky Fried Chicken! Actually, what I like best is a batter seasoning that you can get here called Kentucky Colonel seasoning. Its amazing!
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    chislic, lefse, and rosettesall things that are only common in my area
  • Options
    We have all the fresh fish from Pike Place Market in Seattle. We have lots of Salmon. We also have blackberries like you wouldn't believe. I make several cobblers each year because of all of them.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    I'm from Buffalo and we call them "chicken wings" not "Buffalo wings." So obviously there's that. And Beef on Weck. That's just heaven - rare beef piled on a roll covered in caraway seeds and salt. Mmm...
  • Options
    I don't think Vegas has a specialty. But we have lots of famous chefs and lots of hole in the wall Mexican food. My hometown Detroit has awesome Detroit style pizza, which is square pizza with the pepporoni under the cheese. It was in a GQ article of toppizza and Detroit had 3. Nikki's in Greektown was my favorite. Detroit was also known for Sander's fudge sauce and Coney Island chili dogs! And there were tons of family Arabic restaurants.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sascha I knew we could be best friends! Sanders, chili dogs...but you forgot bumpy cake.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Shrimp etouffee is my favorite thing on the planet, but only when my mom or I make it.  Can't get it like we do it in a restaurant. Central Grocery muffaletta, they invented them.  I won't eat them anywhere but Central Grocery in the Quarter in NOLA.The best though, is fresh boiled seafood.  I've had shrimp and crab that had been out of the bayou less than 30 minutes before they got boiled and there's not anything better in the world.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I'm originally from central/southern Colorado (haven't gotten into the Boston cuisine too much), and I miss the amazing Southwestern foods and ingredients. Avocados, chilis, peppers, corn... They also have really great microbrewery beers, and the summer produce is amazing: tomatoes, peaches, and more. And I was never into this, but buffalo or bison are raised there, and the meat is high-protein and low-fat compared to beef. Just don't eat the Rocky Mountain Oysters. ;)

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    Ha! I know what rocky mountain oysters are! No thanks...;)anna--what are chislic, lefse, and rosettes?Any Aussies reading this--what's good there? I know nothing about Australian cuisine.
  • Options
    nothing beats the Tex Mex you'll find in Texas.Everywhere I go - the Meixcan food is a poor imposter.
  • Options
    tri tip! i eat very little red meat, but if you're bbq'n up a tri tip i'm there.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    oh yea & i'm from california where tri-tip is very popular.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, and you can't forget about all the Bourbon made here! Makers Mark, Wild Turkey, Four Roses, Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, Jim Bean, and Woodford Reserve.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Louisville, being from Kentucky, you should know it's Jim Beam.  With an M.  I used to be a bartender and mispronouncing Jim Beam is one of those things that drives me crazy.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    chislic is deep-fried vanison, lamb or beef. Often served with garlic salt and celery saltlefse is like a tortilla made out of potato. butter is spread on one side and sugar sprinkled all over. then it's rolled up and eatenrosettes are a fried cookie made by dipping a shaped iron in batter then frying
  • Options
    *drool* Those lefse and rosettes would be the end of me.Shan, I feel your pain, and I imagine Mexican food is largely more authentic down in Texas. It sucks being on the East Coast. There is some good South American cuisine here though.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    I'm from Mew Mexico, so you can bet most anywhere you go (unless it's exclusively another restaurant of a particular region) they'll have chile. You know, red or green. Not Beef and beans. That's chili with an "i". :) I personally enjoy it accompanied with pepperoni on most any pizza (green- red doesn't go on pizza. It goes on mashed potatoes). Even though we are mainly ruled by New Mexican style restaurants (apparently it's different?) we still have a diverse selection of other cuisine. And you can find plenty of good ones in most any category.
    Night swimming in the ocean= pretty sweet reception!
  • Options
    Where we lived before, there was an indian store that was just amazing. Actually, we loved it so much we became friends with the owners, haha. I'm not sure there is a 'local fare' when it comes to Australia. We're very mulitcultural and the majority of our food is a mish-mash of various geographic influences.
  • Options
    Bah!I did know that, I guess. I'm not really from here, I grew up in California and -ve been here a few years. Plus, I'm not a big drinker and I've only had one sip of bourbon. Its not my thing at all.
  • Options
    Anna, you're just being Norwegian.  You have to add krumkake, pickled herring, and lutefisk (although the last two are a little more specific to some people's palettes.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    Even I know it's Jim Beam, and I live on the other side of the world. ;P If we're speaking about rum, we do have a rum that is big in Queensland, called Bundaberg Rum. I don't know if it gets exported, though. I'm desperately searching my head for foods that are Australian... but all of our favourites are things from other countries! haha. The only thing I can think of is pavlova, which used to be my favourite dessert as a child. It's like a cake with a shell of cripsy meringue, filled with cream and fruits. [img]http://z.about.com/d/australianfood/1/0/8/2/-/-/Pavlova_Image.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    that's what pavlova is! My friend gave me a recipe for it at my shower and I couldn't figure out what it was. looks amazing!
  • Options
    NYCAlmost every cuisine is  available here and well.  I don't think we have a specialty although the bagels and lox are fantastic.
  • Options
    Ok, I'm a lurker with a once in a while post and I had to represent.I'm from Toledo and the first thing that must be said is Tony Packo's! They have some of the best hot dogs, the best sauce, and the best pickles ever! And also, there's a place called Stanly's Market that has some of the best polish kielbasa I've ever had. We're actually serving it at our wedding.
  • Options
    I'll brag about Skyline chili! Absolutely, to die for, amazing. Piled high with shredded cheddar, chopped onions mixed in, yuummm! We're hosting football next weekend and we're serving Skyline at it! (Sadly though its coming from cans since we now live in Chicago......OP, sounds like you've got Chicago's fare covered- but I do love me a Chicago dog!)
  • Options
    We have talked about bumpy cake before! Yummy. LVB...my H and I have thought about going to Kentucky for bourbon tours, like going to wine country. He LOVES bourbon.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thesun, i though Pavlova was from New Zealand?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think that debate has ever been resolved, actually. Most Australians will insist it was from Australia, though! Certainly, it's been a 'favourite' food here for a long time.
  • Options
    (and in any case, when something good originates from New Zealand we're always happy to claim it as our own and take all credit! ;p)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards