Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

POLL: ball and chain, dragging him to the alter jokes

Ball and chain jokes, and bride dragging the groom to the alter cake toppers: funny, insulting, stupid, don't care, or fill in your own answer.

Re: POLL: ball and chain, dragging him to the alter jokes

• Options
    I just think they are stupid. You are getting married and your day should be about that instead of how you got there. I think it is self deprecating on the brides part and I feel bad for her when I see one.
  • Options
    Really stupid. I hate when men make jokes/complaints about married life. If it's so bad, get a divorce!
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    I hate these things.FI was in a wedding last summer where the groom (Who had secretly JOP'd the year before) as a "joke" had his GMs "drag" him down the aisle while his father yelled "You're going to make an honest woman outta her whether you like it or not!"...Nobody was amused.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    At the wedding?  Awful.At some pre-wedding not so formal event?  Fair.I get that this can be the sense of humor for some - but for me, it would imply that DH and I weren't taking our vows that seriously.And after a really freakin' long emotional conversation last night, I can't imagine I can't imagine thinking that this whole marriage thing was just for a fun party.  
  • Options
    megk - that is just disgusting. wow.
  • Options
    Granted, my story was not cake-topper related, but in general I just don't see what's so funny about any of that kinda stuff.I mean, we all joke here with the badges and stuff, but I think it's totally horrible to make those kind of jokes AT the wedding.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    Stupid. Why would you want to be charactorized as having to drag your FI to the alter?
  • Options
    Stupid and misogynistic. Any relationship where somebody has to be dragged to the altar is probably not healthy. I like to think that FI wants to marry me just as much as I want to marry him... at least he complains enough about having nobody in Wisconsin to feed him and how much he misses me feeding him.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    I even get annoyed when I see guys wearing those 'game over' tee shirts. I actually saw a bunch while I was on my honeymoon if you can believe it and their new wives were with them. I just lose respect for both people when I see that which is odd because I usually like this kind of humor. I guess I just find it too immature to be funny.
  • Options
    Banana, I think in this case, the groom really WASN'T taking it seriously, because to him, he was already married.But my big thing (I actually had spent most of the morning with the groom and GMS ... I even tried to talk them OUT of doing this when I found out) was they kept the JOP a secret to the bride's family (Why, I still don't know). So to THEM, this was their daughter/sister/niece/cousin/friend's actual WEDDING day, so such a thing was really just a klassy spectacle.FI told me later he hated the idea (And actually, he barely "participated", he sorta hung back and followed the guys in, which made me proud, haha) and that literally until the GMs started getting the groom down the aisle, he was STILL trying to say "Guys, her family will be PISSED".

• Options
    At a halloween party Fi and I went to last night, one of his friends made him a ball and chain to attach to his leg. Hilarious, right? I dislike that regardless of how much of a joke it is, it still implies that I'm a controlling biitch. Thanks, friends.
  • Options
    I find them stupid and rude.
  • Options
    On a similar line, I was in Spencer Gifts last weekend and I could not believe the t-shirts they were selling!It is totally inappropriate to put a child old enough to speak in a shirt that says, "Cute Little F'er" (with the word spelled out).  I saw it on a baby onezie too.Ditto for the maternity T-shirt that said, "Maybe now he'll marry me."
  • Options
    I dislike that regardless of how much of a joke it is, it still implies that I'm a controlling biitch. Thanks, friends. yeah seriously. ask him how he would like it if they made him wear a sign saying "whipped puussy"
  • Options
    Another thing is, it's one thing to make the jokes when it's just the 2 of you or something (Although, in my house it tends to be FI saying "You're the one that said 'yes', it's all YOUR fault from now on", lol), but to actually make the jokes in front of people you don't know really well ... or just other people in general, just seems in really poor taste to me.

• Options
    Megk, I can't imagine being a part of that.  Please tell me that this isn't the couple with the bsc wife who wants to babysit FI.  If I remember correctly that was an issue you two were having wasn't it?Keeping the JOP wedding a secret is in itself a horrible thing to do but who thinks that it's OK to do that?  The GM are presumably all adults and should have some sense of social intelligence...and what about the groom's parents?  If DH's father did anything like that you can be that MIL would have PLENTY to say about that being inappropriate. 
  • Options
    Stupid. Not that I take them seriously, but why would a bride want to insinuate to her guests that her groom would try to run away?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    Stupid. I got really frustrated with this while shopping for a cake topper. Every effing cake topper out there these days is out to be funny and self-deprecating, and most of them are just flat out offensive.
  • Options
    I can't imagine why a bride would want to degrade herself in such a way.
  • Options
    I think they are stupid--maybe for like the shower or rehearsal dinner, but DEFINATELY not the wedding.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be honest and say it really doesn't bother me.The way I see it is a wedding and a marriage are two separate things. A wedding is nothing more than an elaborate party and if people want to be lighthearted with it, go ahead. That doesn't mean they don't take their vows/marriage seriously.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    A wedding is nothing more than an elaborate party and if people want to be lighthearted with it, go ahead.Actually, to me and many other ladies on this board, a wedding is about saying your vows in a ceremony that reflects your feelings on marriage. Yes, a party follows. But that is not that the day was 'about' to either me or my husband.
  • Options
    Honestly I do not care.  It's not something I would have had on my own cake, but I would not care if it was on someone I know's cake.  I'm sure i would find humor in it if it did apply to the couple on some level.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    What I mean is a "wedding" I consider from after the ceremony onward. I consider the ceremony "Getting Married" and completely separate from the "wedding" part. It's the serious part. Maybe that's just used in my family but that's the way it's always been for me? I was  taught the "wedding" part consisted of the dancing,cake,food, speeches, etc etc
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think they are stupid and I also judge people who use them. I think they are a bit low class.
  • Options
    To a certain degree I'll buy that the ceremony is sacred and the party is a celebration.However it's the celebration of something sacred.   
  • Options
    I agree Banana. I felt the people who did that *** dance into their church were not taking the marriage/ wedding seriously either.I still don't get why having fun at their ceremony bothered so many people? I never knew that unless people had a stuffy, super serious (better not cough) ceremony it meant that they don't care about their marriage. People must gasp then when they find out me and my fiance plan on adding a few fun jokes to our vows. I'm sorry but I do believe both people with super serious weddings and fun weddings have gotten divorced, so lighten up people!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    eh I don't judge people who dance into the ceremony, I just find it cheesy as hell. Its so not  my personality. But if it fits them, whatever. As long as they don't make their WP do it, too.
  • Options
    Meh.  I think there's a huge difference between being super serious and making insult jokes about the other person. 
  • Options
    I am all for fun, lighthearted weddings and I have a great sense of humor. But that stuff is not funny at all. It is completely degreding to the woman. Why in the world would I ever want people to think I had to force my husband to marry me or that I in some way hold him back from life. It really disgusts me and my pride and ego would never allow for someone to think of me as deperate and forcing someone to be with me. Even if it is a joke.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards