Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

S/O Genealogy..

This started in the Random Facts posts - what cool things have your ancestors done?My great-grandfather was a co-founder of the Humane Society, and distantly we are related to the Pillsbury family.

Re: S/O Genealogy..

• Options
    I don't have famous family, but one of my great grandmothers was born in Dakota territory the year it became a state. 
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    That is kind of a lie.  My cousin was George Bush's (both of them) personal trainer. 
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I don't even know how to trace mine. My family has moved around so much I wouldn't even know where to start.
  • Options
    The presidents William Henry Harrison and Benjamin Harrison are direct relatives of mine. Other than that, nada
  • Options
    My ancestor was Stede Bonnet, the Gentleman Pirate.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • Options
    My grandpa wrote a textbook on nuclear safety. My stepmom was the first woman in Michigan to be trained on the Davinci surgical robot.
  • Options
    Its not cool but my grandparents traced one or the others family back to a plantation in south carolina where they were slaves, and visited it. I dont know where this information went though. My great grandfather on my dads side was supposed to be a violinist on the titanic, but for some reason he cancelled.
  • Options
    FI is a fifth generation Missourian.My great-uncles are in the Route 66 Hall of Fame. And carrying over a fact, my uncle won $500k on Who Wants to be a Millionaire back when it was cool.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    The only one I can think of at the moment is My cousin Joe.  He is a puppeteer in San Francisco and he has done a lot of work with Disney, etc.  His most famous work is the three little insect-looking aliens on the Men in Black movies--he did all of their animations.
  • Options
    My distant grandpa came over on one of the first ships to Jamestown but then left before the Natives held the town captive and starved most of the people. He then came back after it happened, he was very luckily. If you go to Jamestown or Williamsburg you will see the oldest pewter spoon replica being sold in all the stores with my relative name on it since he made it.My other relative was a sheriff with the famous hanging judge if any of you guys are Western History buffs. He is always in cowboy books, etc...In my mom side we have a castle in the family in Northern Ireland. My says she knows one of the cousins and sometime we will go see it. :)
  • Options
    My dad helped to put the first man on the moon. He did some kind of calculation on the way the earth wobbles in orbit from solar radiation. He has a really cool certificate from it that I want to hang in my house one day.
  • Options
    Not so much what my family has done, but there is a road and a lake in Manitoba named for my family and a hill and a island in the North Saskatchewan river in Saskatchewan named for us as well. I'm not sure why these things are named for my ancestors, but I'm sure they did something cool way back when for it.  Or maybe not...
  • Options
    She wasn't famous, but so far my favorite ancestor is my great-great grandmother. When her husband died in the early 1900s, she left Eastern Europe by herself to come to the U.S. She worked here and made enough money to bring over her three underage children and then her other daughter, daughter's husband, and two babies. She died at 86 -- one day when she was on her way to work! She was a midwife.
  • Options
    My great grandfather on my dads side was supposed to be a violinist on the titanic, but for some reason he cancelled.This relates to the premonition thread.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My grandparents traced my family back to the Mayflower, including the first child born to the Pilgrims in America.  You can see the cradle at some museum in Plymouth, MA. However on my dad's side of the family, my great-great-grandfather stowed away on a boat from Italy and come into the country illegally. Whoops.
  • Options
    Nothing super exciting here. My dad's cousin was a foreign correspondent for CBS and got to do all kinds of cool stuff. He is now an author and wrote a book with his wife called Wine and War, and they live in France which is cool.My grandpa, before he died, claimed to have come up with the idea for Rollerblades, although he called them something else. His story is that he was too poor to produce them, and didn't get a patent, and someone he told about them went on to develop the idea as we know it today. Who knows about that one though!
  • Options
    The one I said in the random facts poll is all I've got. My grandpa and dad were famous quarter horse trainers, and my grandpa invented a special type of saddle that is pretty popular, he also wrote a pretty well known (in the quarter horse world, lol) book about horse behavior and training.
  • Options
    The only thing that comes to mind is my dad's family immigrated to the US during the potato famine.My mom's side of the family is German. That's all I've got.
  • Options
    My grandparents traced my family back to the Mayflower, including the first child born to the Pilgrims in America.That's cool. Do you think they ate PooCock at the first Thanksgiving?BTW, I'm sorry I insulted your siggy yesterday...I was just kidding. Hope you saw my apology.
  • Options
    Oh and I guess through marriage I am related to the McCoy's of the Hatfield/McCoy feud which I have heard of but really know nothing about.
  • Options
    Haha, who knows.  And I did see it - sorry for being cranky yesterday, I'm having a quarter-life crisis ATM.
  • Options
    Seriously I can't write Moby Diick without them censoring it?  It's a guy's name, not just a body part!
  • Options
    My mom's Dutch ancestors immigrated around the 1660s, when New York was still New Amsterdam, and a Dutch colony. That's also the mutual ancestor I share with John Jacob Astor IV, who died on the Titanic. (Yeah, I guess that branch of the family stayed in NYC and became socialites and had a small street named after them - my branch went upstate and did not make millions of dollars.)The German part of my mom's family left Germany due to some sort of persecution, rafted (no joke) to the Netherlands where they camped out until they got kicked out and on to England. They ended up meeting with Queen Anne who had a Mohawk chief visiting her. Supposedly the chief told them they should come settle in upstate NY (still a colony, this time a British one). This was around 1710? About 10,000 people left Germany together and about 2,000 made it to New York, including my family. They were called the Palatine German migration because that's the part of Germany they lived in.My dad's family is half Scottish (grandpa was 100% Scottish). They immigrated in the late 19th century. Nothing to see here...
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My great, great, great (etc) grandfather and my great, great, great (etc) uncle were founding fathers of the US. Grandfather signed the Declaration of Independence and Uncle signed the Constitution.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm related to the Hatfields. My dad has a pretty nifty position that puts him in the public eye a lot.My family's like the Shining twins - we've been here for ever... and ever.... and ever.....  
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    My grandmother traced us back to Rah the sun god, and on another branch, Odin. I guess that means there's crazy in my family. She also traced us back to Lady Godiva's husband.
  • Options
    My dad's side is traced back to the Gee's Bend plantation, famous for their quilts. There are books and a wikipedia article about them.ummm...my third cousin (son of my dad's first cousin) is an NFL player.That's all I got!
  • Options
    The only thing that comes to mind is my dad's family immigrated to the US during the potato famine.Vally so did mine, well my grandmother's parents did....and my great grandfathers family got a goat for marrying my great grandmother haha.My other great grandfather came to the US from Scotland through Ellis Island on the Lusitania....I have a copy of my families very 1st picture taken at Ellis Island when they arrived.  Great grandfather was 5 years old.
  • Options
    What is DAR??
  • Options
    oooh, does this mean wed and missy are gonna be a-fightin'? =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards