Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Shooting at Fort Hood

13»

Re: Shooting at Fort Hood

• Options
    Navy I gotta get goin, I'm sorry. My heart & thoughts are with those who have injured/deceased family in Ft Hood.
  • Options
    No problem girl.  Thanks for keeping me updated while you could. 
  • Options
    Ugh. The base near my parents is huge. It's the second or third biggest army base, I think. My dad's girlfriend works at the housing department. With any military base, it's scary, but how well does everyone really know each other? New people are coming in an out all the time.Of course, with other shootings, you always hear neighbors say, "Oh, I've known him for 15 years and he was such a nice guy!" So who knows? Maybe it was PTSD, but it's weird that it seemed coordinated and pre-meditated, given that there were multiple shooters.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Don't worry, Navy. This happens so rarely. And everyone will be on high alert for quite some time after this.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Yea, I know it happens rarely.  Still scary.And with multiple shooters, I don't think it would be PTSD.  And one of the shooters was a Major, so he's been in the military for quite some time.
  • Options
    so wait, katy works at fort hood?? why was no one drilling her for answers about what is going on?
  • Options
    sorry, I meant katenumbers.
  • Options
    Who is katenumbers?
  • Options
    They have the combat stress treatment facility deal there, so I am curious as to if it is someone going through that program. PTSD can be expressed in some violent ways for some persons.My FI is now retired from the Canadian military, but he has done a few tours in his career in the military, including in the Middle East, and been in some very risky positions and seen some horrible things happen to good friends. Now and then some things do come up and he starts to experience heightened anxiety, hypersensitivity and fear, though his never manifests in violence or anger or anything. He also speaks regularly to a psychologist. He retired from the military and now intends to start a career path where he can eventually work with returning/retired soldiers around those issues. The need for such programs and care is becoming higher and higher everyday.My sympathies go out to all those killed and injured. And if this/these soldiers were dealing with PTSD, while I cannot empathize with their actions, I do have an awareness of what a struggle they might have been having.
  • Options
    -->  Shooting at Fort Hood--> From: kate51485 Date: 11/5/2009 at 3:05 PM it's stuff like this that brings me back to reality when i think about being safe inside these gates every day.------------------------- : kate51485 Date: 11/5/2009 at 3:21 PM I'm glad I only have to be at work for 9 more minutes...it just gives me the heebie jeebies. :( ---------------------------------- kate51485 Date: 11/5/2009 at 3:27 PM We have not been notified about anything. ----------------I just saw she posted all that, and no one asked her anything. wow.
  • Options
    Navy -- I'm me...
  • Options
    Yea, I just commented in the other post.  I thought she was talking about someone with the sn "katenumbers"
  • Options
    We have not been notified about anything.That she said in response to me. I mentioned the base near my parents (Fort Drum) and wondered if all major bases were on lockdown. She said her base wasn't. But she's not at Fort Hood.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    No, Kate's not at Ft. Hood.  She works on a secured base though.  She was talking about feeling safer because they were gated.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    And I don't work there, but at another large base. Just was relating to the idea of it.
  • Options
    I don't think the fact one of them was a Major precludes PTSD at all. While the indication is he was in longer, it does not mean he cannot be afflicted (and I know some young Majors) Up here in Canada we have had a handful of Major's commit suicide for example.ANYONE can suffer PTSD. Buck-arse privates to Brigadier-Generals. And yes, it is unusual for it to be a "group" thing if it is PTSD, but it's not impossible by any means. Get a group of soldiers all suffering PTSD together and this may of seemed like a great idea to them all.
  • Options
    I guess maybe it was common knowledge where she worked, I just wasn't aware of it. I was confused.
  • Options
    I don't think the fact one of them was a Major precludes PTSD at all.I wasn't saying that because he was a Major that he couldn't PTSD.  I made the comment that he was a Major in regards to someone making a comment along the lines of "Oh, we've known him for 15 years and he never gave any inclination that he was dangerous."
  • Options
    One doesn't even have to be military to suffer PTSD, or be directly involved in something. Who knows. I just want to know my friend is okay. Headed out now.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    One doesn't even have to be military to suffer PTSD, or be directly involved in something.I personally suffered PTSD from a car accident, so I definitely know this first hand.
  • Options
    Actually Missy I meant the opposite -- made me remember that just because we're inside those gates, does not mean we're immune.
  • Options
    Sorry navy - I think I just misinterpreted then!
  • Options
    I am so saddened and disgusted by this. What's most unfortunate is that many of those killed and/or wounded most likely completed 1 or more deployments, only to come home and be killed here at a place where they were supposed to be safe. Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the building they were shot in is where soldiers go right before leaving for a deployment or right after coming home.
  • Options
    FI says they could have been there for almost anything.  Sorta like your high school gym - it's the largest facility for a big group gathering. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Sorry, Katie; didn't mean to misinterpret you ;)This was such an awful story this afternoon.  My uncle is retired career military, and I relate to these stories so closely. We lived near Benning when we were in Georgia, and my folks were near the base in Jacksonville, FL.  I've got retired and non-retired military friends, and while I'm so proud of them, I worry for their safety all the time.While I haven't seen a response from my friend, it appears from postings that he is, indeed, safe. So that is a blessing.I think there are people who have suffered from some form of PTSD, and don't even realize it.  It's all such a shame.And at this point, I'm all just babbling.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards