Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Invitation Wording - deceased MOB

Hi All!!Ok, so the time has come to decide on the wording which will be on the invites and i'm having some issues with it. I'm 29 and my mother passed away 8 years ago and I've read it's in bad taste to include my mother on the invites as a "host" along with my Dad, who is paying for EVERYTHING!! My mom and I were very close and it is both of my parents money that's paying for the wedding so i'm stumped.  I don't want to include FI's Mother (father is deceased) on the invites at all as she has contributed absolutely nothing to this day, not even a single offer of help. Has anyone had experience with this before?? I initially came to terms with just having Dad's name on the invites but I was just looking through some suggestions online it did have a template for deceased mother of the bride so now i'm torn and confused again! :/PLEASE let me know if you have any help for me! :)

Re: Wedding Invitation Wording - deceased MOB

• Options
    Together with their parents/families?
  • Options
    You can list your father as the host with you followed by 'daughter of the late X'.How does your FI feel about the wording and omitting his mother from the invitation?  It's his wedding too so I just hope you're not making this decision for him.
  • Options
    FI is fine with leaving his mother off the invites. We've discussed it and agreed upon it. There was talk she may not even make it to the wedding so I'm not too concerned about leaving her off the invites...She's a bit unstable as it is.
  • Options
    Mr Father invites you to share his joy in the marriage ofELLEdaughter of the late Mrs. Mother toMR. ELLE???
  • Options
    The other option to keep in mind is leaving her off of the invitations and including her in the program, on a memory table, etc.  While you can use the format pps have mentioned above, I would find it a bit odd.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Please don't use your wedding invitation as a place to  passive-agressively take out your feelings towards his mother.   Its easiest just write "together with their families" and be done with it.  Others may disagree, but I agree it is bad form to put your mother on the invitation.  She can not host, as she is not here.  Find another way to honor her. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    what about saying something to the effect of saying Please join Brides name Daughter of Father an Mother and Grooms name Son of Father and Mother Word it so parents are not hosting if your father does not mind. You are still your parent's children, even if they have passed and I think it should be fine to put her name on the invitation, but yes it is difficult for her to host at this point. Congrats! Good luck with the wedding!
  • Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't make a huge issue out of eliminating his mother. You can definitely word the invitation to indicated that your dad is hosting and still include his mom's name. Invitations aren't the place to point out to your guests who is paying for what. Hosting is different than paying. I like what the PP above said about "daughter of father and mother" and "son of mother and father"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    I would go with felkels' idea above, or just 'together with their families.'.  Both my parents are deceased, and DH's Dad has yet to acknowledge my existence.  DH's Mom and my ex-H's parents were present at our ceremony.  We did 'together with their families, L & L invite you . . . ' on our invites.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I don't think it is odd that you want your mother's name on your invitations...even though most are correct that she cannot be "hosting", it is nice to put her name on the invitation to honor the fact that she always will be your mother. I suggest the following wording for you: The honour of your presence is requested at the wedding of Elle X daughter of Mr X and the late Mrs X to Fiance Z son of Mrs Z and the late Mr Z on Saturday, blah blah I included your fiance's parents, but given the situation...don't know if you want to include them or not. Up to you 2. Good luck!
  • Options
    Mr. Joseph Harold Smithregquests the honour of your prescenceat the marriage of his daughteryour first and middleto Mr. FI's full nameon, where, etc.I'm sorry about your mom but the deceased cannot issue invitations.  Perhaps honor her on the program.btw, the only time I have seen the groom's parents on the wedding invitation was the one time the groom's parents were co hosting with the bride's parents.
  • Options
    I agree with East.  I would find it odd to see a deceased person's name on an invite.  Find a different way to honor her.The only way it would even come close to making sense is the way a PP listed it with "Daughter of" and "Son of" but then you'd have to list your FMIL on the invite (otherwise it would look really odd), and you've already said you won't do that.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    The best way I've seen a deceased parent mentioned on an invitation is " Mr. and Mrs. John Smith invite you to the marriage of their daughter Beth Ann to Mr. Jack Jones/son of Mr. David Jones/in memory of Mrs. Susan Jones." Using the word "late" is too depressing, IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards