Wedding Etiquette Forum

Drinking

2»

Re: Drinking

• margaritas for your signature drink sounds great especially frozen ones. i usually drink wine, beer, or vodka tonic. but if someone offered me a margarita i would drink it happily : )
  • cenglecengle member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Smokey, that sounds awesome!  I would be a happy girl at your party!
  • I like beer.  Especially with olives.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:910acf64-32c9-4356-973b-b1250bbd5131">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE] I do think that rum and coke makes a pretty crummy signature drink. Partly because I hate rum and cokes, and partly <strong>because it's pretty college.</strong>
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

Woman, I have to take you to task.  Have you had Zaya rum?  There is nothing college about that.

Yummmmmmmm
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:e02d4269-5946-44dc-906e-da5a0c8690ad">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drinking : Woman, I have to take you to task.  Have you had Zaya rum?  There is nothing college about that. Yummmmmmmm
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]

If I had good rum, I don't think I would spoil it with high fructose corn syrup. I don't have a problem with the rum. :)
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:551b0f5e-79aa-46f0-ab13-d884d564182b">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]msmery-that was what I was thinking when I saw the post.  I will drink wine but not if it is Golden Gate (sorry, but that stuff is horrible) so if I have to go with somehting else, then a rum and coke, might be the way to go. If your signature drink is something that is difficult to make, then it might suck in the long run because the bartender may not be good at it or there may be too many people waiting on it.  Why does a signature drink have to be something exotic?  I would be perfectly happy drinking some Zaya rum with a splash of coke or, even better, over ice rather than some crazy martini drink that is a little out there for me. Vally, for you, of course I am buying.

I was under the impression that a signature drink was something that could usually be served in a pitcher or a drink dispenser.

Which, actually, proves your point. It might not be that good.

But I also think when I hear "signature" drink that it's something a little out fo the ordinary and something that reflects the couple, the location, or the season.

Of course, we're not doing a signature drink, but we do have well drinks included in our package.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:1e388011-805a-4683-a623-94c6d59bb4df">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drinking : If I had good rum, I don't think I would spoil it with high fructose corn syrup. I don't have a problem with the rum. :)
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

So this is where we come together and sing kumbaya.  You can have an "ordinary" signature drink as long as the spirit being used is "extraordinary." 
    Bi-oh-rama

"smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill

• Mery-I have been confused about signature drinks too.  If you are doing some sort of drink that uses vodka, do I HAVE to get your drink or can they splash it with some soda or tonic? 

I know nothing of any of this.  For me, I have tequila at the party and I have mixers to make margaritas.  BUT I don't have orange juice or grenadine so you can't order a sunrise.

All I know is the 10th needs to hurry up and get here. 
    Bi-oh-rama

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:048d89aa-14f0-4964-be28-87d0467dc5a4">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drinking : So this is where we come together and sing kumbaya.  You can have an "ordinary" signature drink as long as the spirit being used is "extraordinary." 

Maybe if you use excellent rum and the cokes you buy in glass bottles in the Mexican aisle that are made with real sugar. :)
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:aa796b19-a058-4235-978c-811129843b06">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tequila (Cazadores Reposado, one of my favorites)

Oh I love you. That's definitely one of the best tequilas. Not that expensive, either. I think it's leagues better than Patron.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • it depends on where i am and the setting. if i'm in a bar just hanging out, i'll grab a beer. if i'm out at dinner, i'll get wine or depending on the place a margarita. if i'm somewhere that i'm dancing like a bar/club i'll go for a vodka tonic. 

at weddings i tend to stick to vodka tonics. at my wedding i'll be drinking margaritas, i'm not having a frozen drink bar for nothing!
  • edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:c085f47c-5487-479d-a35d-155ddcfd00be">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mery-I have been confused about signature drinks too.  If you are doing some sort of drink that uses vodka, do I HAVE to get your drink or can they splash it with some soda or tonic?  I know nothing of any of this.  For me, I have tequila at the party and I have mixers to make margaritas.  BUT I don't have orange juice or grenadine so you can't order a sunrise. All I know is the 10th needs to hurry up and get here. 

See, for parties, I think you're fine. If we're talking weddings, the only wedding I've been to with beer+wine+signature drink was my second cousin's wedding. She had a pitcher of whiskey sours on the bar. I tried two, thought they were awesome, and then my mom said, "Don't you think you've had ENOUGH?" I was 21.

When I have parties, they're cocktail parties. We have a few kinds of beer, a signature drink (sangria, or some kind of punch - I did a lemon/vanilla one once and a lemonade/ sweet tea vodka one once), plus we have a full bar, but not a lot of mixers, so people can have a martini or some bourbon. Well, we usually have cranberry juice too.

Edit: I'm with Sarah. I don't like coke. But rum makes it marginally better.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:cf6f570e-8eaa-4c58-add1-e3a4d67094ac">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>ummm, all of the above and depends on the situation, where I am, what I'm eating if at all, and what kind of mood I'm in. </strong>I drink spirits and mixers mostly at home because they're easy. I drink margs when I'm eating Mexican food. I drink whiskey/whisky over ice if I'm in the mood, and often with steak. I'll drink a Manhattan if I'm just in the mood for the taste of it. I actually don't drink fancy martinis unless I'm out with a bunch of girls and they all order them. fancy martinis are not something I'll ever pick as a first choice.
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]

This.

About the signature drink thing: yeah, I like rum and coke. It's one of my fallbacks, because like Mery said, it's hard to mess up. But I would find it silly to see a sign that says, "we're pleased to offer rum and coke" at the bar. I mean, why wouldn't they offer rum and coke? It's a standard. I feel like a signature drink has to be something a little unexpected, or why bother announcing it?
  • Yeah, my drink of choice used to be Captain & Diet.  Then I had a few too many one night . . . and now I don't drink it all.  The smell brings back some bad memories.

I go to either Chardonnay or Reisling now.  At a wedding last month I didn't know what to do when they only had hard liquor, red wine, or beer.  I ended up drinking some screwdrivers.
  • Usually I just do straight cocktail parties too, but I have 40 people and I was trying to figure out what booze to buy and how much.  My dad said, why don't you just do tequila since it is a Mexican themed party (mexi food, mariachi trio, pinata (!)).  It's easier to determine how much you need.

My dad is a wise man. He also suggested the frozen marg machine.  I love caddies so I insisted on a tequila bar with caddies and reg margs.
    Bi-oh-rama

• Opal-I thought the point of the signature drink is the bring costs down by having only one kind of hard alcohol.  So instead of a fully stocked bar, one only has to buy one type.

Maybe I missing out on the definition of sig drink here.
    Bi-oh-rama

• when i go the Fish house it is $2 anything and i will get an apple tini there, if not i usually will do beer, wine or Bacardi and diet with lime
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2010
    I personally can't do rum and coke because every time I have rum(that isn't is a strawberry daiq) all I can smell and think of is vomit because one time I drank half a fifth of rum straight and puked it back up in my friend's dehumidfier bucket. No rum for me.
    My go-to drink is the Fuzzy Navel and I also like Screwdrivers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:1a54b578-a051-4f90-b141-bf4fc8d82cd7">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]Opal-I thought the point of the signature drink is the bring costs down by having only one kind of hard alcohol.  So instead of a fully stocked bar, one only has to buy one type. Maybe I missing out on the definition of sig drink here.

I have seen it done two ways: the way you described, or with a fully stocked bar as a "hey, we're featuring these drinks because they're unusual/seasonal/local/the B&G's favorite".

If it's the first, then I think a universal crowd pleaser is cool. If it's the second? It needs to be something a little special. And not even special as in expensive, just something outside the "this is what every bar must have" ordinary, whether it's flavored vodka, or juices, or just a new recipe using tried and true ingredients.
  • I can get behind the Smokey Special with a full bar but I think that it sucks for spirit drinkers to be limited to the Smokey Special if they don't want wine and beer.  I have only seen the signature cocktail mentioned around budgets here.  "Offer a signature cocktail along with your wine and beer."

Now, I have learned.  God, I need a drink.

Bi-oh-rama

• edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:1a54b578-a051-4f90-b141-bf4fc8d82cd7">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]Opal-I thought the point of the signature drink is the bring costs down by having only one kind of hard alcohol.  So instead of a fully stocked bar, one only has to buy one type. Maybe I missing out on the definition of sig drink here.

EDIT,  no need to read this, I agree with PP.  I always do that (face palm)

Some people do this, but it isn't the only way to use a signature drink.

We are having a full stocked bar, 2 keg stations, and are passing a signature drink around during cocktail hour along with the passed appetizers.  Our signature drink is a spiked arnold palmer with sweet tea vodka and lemondade, I also think we're doing a sugared rim or a sprig of mint in the glass to make it look pretty

If your signature drink is in place of a stocked bar, I think rum and coke would be fine, since most people like that, or they could drink wine/beer.

If your signature drink is in addition to a stocked bar, I think it is exciting to see a mixed drink that's a little more exotic or unique.
  • I started the rum and coke thread.  I laughed a little at being called a girl because I'm not too far from 30.  Actually, it made me feel pretty good.

Anyway, I told my mom that rum and coke is a lame signature drink.  I don't know if I'm even using the term signature drink correctly.  We're not having a full open bar, but I do want one alternative to the beer and wine.  

A friend and I are going to start looking at drinks.  Even though it's safe, I may go with a Tom Collins.  I love them, and they're not too popular anymore.  I have quite a while to think about it, but I'm glad to have received the opinions that I did.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:3d3db341-6ee9-41e5-9d9e-ee39fd2c5194">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]I started the rum and coke thread.  I laughed a little at being called a girl because I'm not too far from 30.  Actually, it made me feel pretty good. Anyway, I told my mom that rum and coke is a lame signature drink.  I don't know if I'm even using the term signature drink correctly.  We're not having a full open bar, but I do want one alternative to the beer and wine.   A friend and I are going to start looking at drinks.  Even though it's safe, I may go with a Tom Collins.  I love them, and they're not too popular anymore.  I have quite a while to think about it, but I'm glad to have received the opinions that I did.  
    Posted by Goldlie11[/QUOTE]

Tom Collins is gin. Lots of folks (not me) don't like gin.  I acutally love gin, but don't care for a tom collins.  I'd rather have a Tanq and tonic on any given day.
    Bi-oh-rama

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_drinking-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bbbff15-3bcc-4b67-aa7e-fc4a5a7d6e73Post:898a3af4-5abb-42d5-9b15-d215ec10e1a6">Re: Drinking</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Drinking : Tom Collins is gin. Lots of folks (not me) don't like gin.  I acutally love gin, but don't care for a tom collins.  I'd rather have a Tanq and tonic on any given day.
    I've been to bars where they've made a Tom Collins with vodka, although I know it is traditionally made with gin.
  • edited June 2010

Hehehehe... here's my "signature drink" idea.  Boxed wine, maybe some of that truly vile "chillable red" with club soda.  Hey!  It's a spritzer!

I think signature drinks are kinda weird.

Edit:

That's odd, half my post went bye-bye.  Anyhoo!  As I was saying...

I think signature drinks are kinda weird.  If you're having a full bar, can't they make pretty much whatever drink your guests want?  Or is the signature drink the only drink?  I fear that which I do not understand, and therefore call it weird. :)

Edit AGAIN!  Laptop gonna get a hurt real bad!

I'm a huge fan of gin.  Love the stuff.  Can't get enough of it.  All I drink now is gin and tonics.  Tonic is optional sometimes.

No, that's not my real name. And FH's name isn't Nun (as in Nun ya bidness) either.
  • It really depends on my mood.

If we are going to be drinking at a "regular" bar for a while, I drink reisling.

If we are at a nice bar or restaurant and I trust the bartenders, I get a bloody mary made with gin.

If I don't trust the bartenders, or I am in a hard liquor mood, give me a margarita with anything other than Jose` Cuervo.

Also, I think for signature drinks, it could be to compliment a beer and wine selection with one liquor option, or it could be a "special" drink that is highlighted in an already stocked bar.

For us, its the second, we are doing Hand Grenades as the specialty drink, and we also have a martini bar of chocolate, apple, and watermelon martinis.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards