Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

PostSecret April 30

Re: PostSecret April 30

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:943e3716-eb1f-425a-b921-1277a39ff160">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe I don't have a good enough imagination, or any good secrets of my own, but I feel like some of them MUST be from deep lurkers. I mean, I haven't been here forever, but I can't even begin to match a lot of those to the personalities I know here. ... Which, I guess, is the whole point of the "secret" thing. Oh.
    Posted by temerityjane[/QUOTE]

Yeah, people can hide a lot in real life about what they have gone through or what they're feelings.  Its a bazillion times easier to hide that stuff on a message board.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if most/all of them are true.  I haven't seen any so far that are so outlandish that they must be fake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The only board where anyone has even commented on doing fake secrets was AFSB - and really, is it that awful if they do?  I said it in another post, but even if some of them are fake, they bring up good conversation, they are entertaining, or someone out there really could relate to them and feel like they're not the only one out there going through something. 
  • Options
    yeah shelly I didn't refresh fast enough! and arbolita i agree! if i called someone stupid for something they were actually right about i'd want to know.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:b40487d0-103c-4fc1-97be-4e03971d4e7a">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh yeah, how about the fact that Ivy League schools don't offer merit-based scholarships?  They only do need-based assistance.  (and athletic)
    Posted by KentuckyKate[/QUOTE]

I thought they specifically <em>didn't</em> give out athletic scholarships.  Not that it really matters, but that was always my impression.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    I don't think it's a bad thing that there are fake ones, Arb. Sorry if that came across that way. I agree completely with what you said about them being relatable and/or entertaining.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:550c9280-33ef-4f13-939f-07c882d7ceec">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PostSecret April 30 : I thought they specifically  didn't give out athletic scholarships.  Not that it really matters, but that was always my impression.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]
    Because smart people aren't athletic ;)  They're nerds!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:b40487d0-103c-4fc1-97be-4e03971d4e7a">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh yeah, how about the fact that Ivy League schools don't offer merit-based scholarships?  They only do need-based assistance.  (and athletic)
    Posted by KentuckyKate[/QUOTE]

They do for graduate school and MBA programs.

Edit: They're not called scholarships, usually, but tuition grants and stipends.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    Even if someone submits a fake secret, it may actually be a true secret for someone else and that is what is so interesting about this site.  The secrets are not necessarily fake as they may ring true for someone out there reading it...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:2c4960a1-36e6-452c-bd1a-e5283084fe07">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PostSecret April 30 : They do for graduate school and MBA programs.
    Posted by mandybear7[/QUOTE]

This is true. Anyone who gets into Yale's art history graduate program, for instance, gets full tuition and fees plus a relatively generous stipend.

ETA: Two doctorates though? I'm having a heck of a time just getting one.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Did you guys see the new one on the Niner PS that says she's ready to have a baby now but not ready to be that permanently attached to her H?  That was sad to me, that she thinks being married didn't really permanently attach them and that she thinks they could split up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:550c9280-33ef-4f13-939f-07c882d7ceec">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PostSecret April 30 : I thought they specifically  didn't give out athletic scholarships.  Not that it really matters, but that was always my impression.

They do give out athletic scholarships but still at a need-base.
  • Options
    evabeeevabee member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:ff1106de-6839-41b2-a7a3-f0097bc6ef18">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PostSecret April 30 : I was just going to write that! Ivy League's don't give out full rides....doesn't work like that.
    Posted by L-Bride[/QUOTE]

<div>I'd heard this too, but I did get a partial (a small partial) scholarship to an IL for academics.. I wonder if it's different for undergrads or full vs partial. </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: simply not fast enough. others explained!</div>
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:2c4960a1-36e6-452c-bd1a-e5283084fe07">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PostSecret April 30 : They do for graduate school and MBA programs. Edit: They're not called scholarships, usually, but tuition grants and stipends.

Yup. I got a merit based scholarship to an ivy league school. It wasn't a full ride or anything, but it was merit based.

Edit: grad school that is
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:39851c9c-f5a3-48f5-81fa-7b85e760679d">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]Like the one saying "Just because women think you're funny doesn't mean you are"- what the f*ck?  Way to hate on other women AND not be willing to say it here and defend it.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

Agreed!
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like the bird costume on the niner board!  Its hilarious!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:00b93d7d-7429-45c4-8357-342410d0e98f">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you guys see the new one on the Niner PS that says she's ready to have a baby now but not ready to be that permanently attached to her H?  That was sad to me, that she thinks being married didn't really permanently attach them and that she thinks they could split up. 
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

Not that I feel the same way, but I can kind of understand that one.  Over on that board, we've all only been married for a few months, so trying to wrap my head around being married for several decades is still a weird concept.  If they have a history of people  leaving them, i get why they are concerned with their DH not being there a few years down the line. 
  • Options
    Like the one saying "Just because women think you're funny doesn't mean you are"- what the f*ck?  Way to hate on other women AND not be willing to say it here and defend it.
    Posted by kikibaby

I think this is a fake one, and it's one of the ones I'm talking about. If you are scared to admit you want to kiss a girl, that's one thing. But just insulting people because you're bitter is useless.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:195351a3-9a3e-48bc-ba7d-54d1db5a8196">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the bird costume on the niner board!  Its hilarious!
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]

what's the niner?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Niner = People who got married in September 09
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:5dd3fdb3-bf92-4e8e-be9a-2b6e4ae64d5d">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PostSecret April 30 : This is true. Anyone who gets into Yale's art history graduate program, for instance, gets full tuition and fees plus a relatively generous stipend. <strong>ETA: Two doctorates though? I'm having a heck of a time just getting one.</strong>
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

Eye to eye, Sarah.
  • Options
    Yeah the, "just because women think you're funny doesn't mean you are" one was ridiculous!  So, only a man's opinion matters?

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:5dd3fdb3-bf92-4e8e-be9a-2b6e4ae64d5d">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PostSecret April 30 : This is true. Anyone who gets into Yale's art history graduate program, for instance, gets full tuition and fees plus a relatively generous stipend. ETA: Two doctorates though? I'm having a heck of a time just getting one.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

Yep, I was just going to write this.  Grad school is different than undergrad where no, they don't give out scholarships based on merit OR athletics.

I went to Ivy League schools and there are few things I dislike more than the "I went to an Ivy League school, so I'm definitely smarter that you are."  I definitely went to school with some morons.
  • Options
    I flat out asked Mr. Penny if he'd ever gotten a prostitute pretty early in our relationship.  That's pretty much a deal breaker for me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:7fcf0fb0-472c-4779-b7bf-43e0b57cdaa0">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah the, "just because women think you're funny doesn't mean you are" one was ridiculous!  So, only a man's opinion matters?
    Posted by mandysmear[/QUOTE]

DUH! Get back to the stove, woman!
  • Options
    Tree what've you done to me? I'm finding myself going "Ooh, it's nearly lunchtime, are we going to get any new ones?!"
  • Options
    The one about becoming closer to her mother through her daughter was very sweet.  To the poster who's afraid of telling her SO what she really likes: DO IT.  Trust me on this one; that's all I'm sayin'.  The other new ones I don't really have any opinion on, I guess.  I think submitting fake secrets is lame, but not harmful. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:3926af0b-6866-443b-bc92-10fded2f662f">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: PostSecret April 30 : True. I don't really believe that one, though. If you're an expert in the field, people can tell. Edit: Also, if I had a doctorate from Yale, I would make t-shirts and hats proclaiming it. Why not stick up for yourself during that discussion?

Plus, getting accepted to several top schools in a certain field doesn't mean you KNOW anything about that field. When I was accepted to a journalism program I had taken exactly one (really lame) journalism class in my life.

I agree about call-outs of E posters. It's not a secret if you're just pissed at someone. It's sort of petty.

I really like the "I'm thankful everyday I was able to stop" one. I relate a little.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    This is so addicting!  I like that they are updated all the time opposed to the normal postsecret that is only updated once a week.
  • Options

I guess fake ones wouldn't be a big deal, because my favorite part is the discussion that comes out of these.  It's very interesting.

• Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postsecret-april-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:26eed0fa-4155-4321-a5e0-532497f45464Post:550c9280-33ef-4f13-939f-07c882d7ceec">Re: PostSecret April 30</a>:

Correct! They're division 1 but they don't give athletic scholarships. You have to measure up academically to be accepted, period, not just play football well. (Although some football players have come out of the Ivy leagues - it just isn't common.)

However, a lot of them are now giving full-out grants, rather than loans, to people whose parents make below a certain amount, like $70,000 a year. Cause when you think about it, the tuition is about $45,000 a year...

Edit: And graduate assistantships and stipends aren't the same as scholarships, really. It's more like going to school, teaching undergrads and doing research on behalf of the school is your <em>job</em>, which you get paid for. Barely.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards