Wedding Etiquette Forum

Unpopular opinions

Re: Unpopular opinions

• OH yeah, Lala, they made some revisions or something for the cigar bar in town. I'm not exactly sure how they got around it, but they have a totally separate room for the cigar part of the place.

If you hate smoke and go to a cigar bar....well...that's just your own fault.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • But also, where I live, most "bars" are like, dive-bars, pool-halls, etc. We don't have many upscale NY-Style bars or anything.

That could be why my expectation is low, and there are lots of smokers around here.
  • I m a smoker.  More so when I drimnk.  And I mam A-OK with going outside to smoke.  It means that I too don't reek in the morning. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • I shouldn't be subjected to something that could potentially kill me just becuase you don't want to go stand in the snow and cold and keep it away from everyone else who objects to cancer and other smoking related illnesses.

I think it's super dramatic when non-smokers use this reasoning. unless you live in a bar, it's not going to kill you.
    beer can technically kill you too. it's just a bad argument. I get not liking the smell of smoke, and it bothering you, but let's not go to the "I'M GOING TO DIE!" place. it's too much like "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!"
  • edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:e0d0e368-74b0-4e03-ae6e-418beb2e5366">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular opinions : Well, that's really awesome for people who CAN'T afford places like Mortons. There are lots of people that it's the 'nicest' they can afford. Guess poor people shouldn't be allowed out of McDonalds.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

Some of the best food in my city comes from a hole in the wall place with mismatched tables.   They just believe in great food instead of turning out a mass produced junky product   Quality doesn't automatically equal big bucks.  Its narrow minded to think that way.   Chains have their places.  Theyre good for quick lunches or running in to get something quick.  I eat at Chilis everytime Im in Ohare.  but am I heading to one when I want a really nice good meal?  No.  I'm finding a place with great food. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:f8830598-77db-4572-8abd-c7f7bf66d059">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]But also, where I live, most "bars" are like, dive-bars, pool-halls, etc. We don't have many upscale NY-Style bars or anything. That could be why my expectation is low, and there are lots of smokers around here.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]
    same here. I live in College Station. come on, now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:dbf6abac-672b-4205-ab84-d65c11867abe">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another one - having been on all sorts of diets and changing my eating habits and running and ellipticalling and whatnot, I'm starting to think I'd rather be fat and happy than thin and miserable. 
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

I'm on this train too. I just got off a super-strict diet, and I've baked 3 times this week because I felt so deprived.  It's made my husband happy. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:3bd47e91-2b0c-4a80-a896-1b43a525aa60">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular opinions : Me too!!  How nice is this...my mom emailed me and asked if I wanted to go on a diet challenge with her.  Um, so like, hey daughter, you're fat and need to lose weight.  WTF?  It would be one thing if she said she was going to lose some lbs and I chimed in and offered to do it too...but suggesting it?  STFU!
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

I did a Jazzercise challenge with my mom to get her started (she needs to lose for health reasons) but I dropped out because I hate exercise.  I HATE IT.  The only reason I was so thin in college was because my ass was out at the clubs every single night shaking it like a polaroid picture for like, 4 hours straight.  That is the only kind of exercise I like, but I'm too old to go clubbing all the time now, and I have yet to find any kind of dance-related cardio at any gym I actually enjoy.  Except for Zumba.  But they only offer it one night a week.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:f7352caf-6625-4c61-968a-605a3b767588">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular opinions : I absolutely agree with you on this one.... ...and this is going to show my age BUT, I can even remember when you could smoke at work...like at your desk or in your cubicle or whatever....now that is GROSS!!  I'm not saying people shouldn't have right to smoke...but I do think I should have the right to NOT have to inhale someone else's smoke...
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

I smoke at work.
    In my office, at my desk.  I just put one out.  And no, I don't work at home.  My office allows smoking, but even I think that's crazy.
    We're a distributor, and the owners used to sell tobaco, so they support the habits.
    But honestly, it's insane that I'm allowed to.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Zumba is the bomb.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I hate corsages and boutonnieres.  I wish this tradition would die.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:c029954f-a304-4c7b-96f5-cd7dec3a8ae2">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular opinions : I'm on this train too. I just got off a super-strict diet, and I've baked 3 times this week because I felt so deprived.  It's made my husband happy. 
    Posted by cengle[/QUOTE]

I'm like the perfect storm - I hate to exercise, I love to eat, and I hate almost every single fruit and vegetable out there. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:7f649fb7-3e06-4250-9109-ad7066f9b2a6">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I shouldn't be subjected to something that could potentially kill me just becuase you don't want to go stand in the snow and cold and keep it away from everyone else who objects to cancer and other smoking related illnesses. I think it's super dramatic when non-smokers use this reasoning. unless you live in a bar, it's not going to kill you. beer can technically kill you too. it's just a bad argument. I get not liking the smell of smoke, and it bothering you, but let's not go to the "I'M GOING TO DIE!" place. it's too much like "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!"
    Posted by laladypoet[/QUOTE]

I'm not using that as you know, if "I" personally go to a bar once a month and am subjected to it. That's unlikely - <span style="font-style:italic;">not impossible</span>, but unlikely. HOWEVER, what about the bar staff that are subjected to it every night? They are at much greater risk than occasional patrons are and I don't see it at all as being fair to them if they aren't smokers. It is dangerous, that's unarguable.
  • east, guess what? the H and I will be in your neck of the woods November 1.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:6f88f51a-2203-4456-a595-8d2f9f606e74">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate corsages and boutonnieres.  I wish this tradition would die.
    Posted by greengirl09[/QUOTE]

A woman after my own heart. They rarely look nice.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I remember when I went to the Melting Pot for my birthday (do you all have that?  high priced fondue...melty cheese.....) and there was a family there with toddlers.  Toddlers all over the place.  It's basically a pot of bubbling cheese over a flame (and hot oil for frying with the entrees).  That was really stupid.  My sister worked there for awhile last Christmas and she couldn't believe the amount of families in there.
    White Knot Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't like bout's either, we're doing pocket squares
  • I'm dumbfounded that there are still office buildings you can smoke in.  Thats just stupefying to me.   Isn't it 2010?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:b07f460a-9827-47e1-ba12-3e7aaeacdce0">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Zumba is the bomb.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

I feel like Shakira in that class, damnit.  THESE HIPS DON'T LIE.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:df9893b3-1838-47cf-983e-0adff1566fda">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular opinions : I smoke at work. In my office, at my desk.  I just put one out.  And no, I don't work at home.  My office allows smoking, but even I think that's crazy. We're a distributor, and the owners used to sell tobaco, so they support the habits. But honestly, it's insane that I'm allowed to.
    Posted by Wrkn925[/QUOTE]

That seems so crazy to me.

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:7f649fb7-3e06-4250-9109-ad7066f9b2a6">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I shouldn't be subjected to something that could potentially kill me just becuase you don't want to go stand in the snow and cold and keep it away from everyone else who objects to cancer and other smoking related illnesses. I think it's super dramatic when non-smokers use this reasoning. unless you live in a bar, it's not going to kill you. beer can technically kill you too. it's just a bad argument. I get not liking the smell of smoke, and it bothering you, but let's not go to the "I'M GOING TO DIE!" place. it's too much like "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!"

And I think that's part my thing with smoking and bars.

If you're going and getting completely hammered every single weekend at your smoke-free bar, in the long-run, your longevity will probably be altered in the same way it would if your local bar that allows smoking.

I hate second-hand smoke because I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to it, but I don't get all crazy-angry if someone is smoking near me. The only time I get mad is when I see an adult holding their lit cigarette down carelessly in the face of their child, or smoking in a car with children with the windows up.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:d2e18b94-349e-4aca-a4e9-dfb119c25085">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular opinions : I'm not using that as you know, if "I" personally go to a bar once a month and am subjected to it. That's unlikely - not impossible , but unlikely. HOWEVER, what about the bar staff that are subjected to it every night? They are at much greater risk than occasional patrons are and I don't see it at all as being fair to them if they aren't smokers. It is dangerous, that's unarguable.
    Posted by alixzafiris[/QUOTE]
    I get that too. but most bartenders I know (before the smoking ban) accepted the risk to work there. kinda like you accept the risk of working at a convenient store in a bad neighborhood.
    this all goes back to why I think it should be up to the proprietor of the bar. plenty of bar owners have a preference, and it would give people a choice of where to go, or where to work.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:fffad514-a2f4-4ef3-9ac6-16ed7323ab94">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I remember when I went to the Melting Pot for my birthday (do you all have that?  high priced fondue...melty cheese.....) and there was a family there with toddlers.  Toddlers all over the place.  It's basically a pot of bubbling cheese over a flame (and hot oil for frying with the entrees).  That was really stupid.  My sister worked there for awhile last Christmas and she couldn't believe the amount of families in there.
    Posted by Meg1979[/QUOTE]

I think the Melting Pot tastes like melted ass.  Horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:17b7e52f-6f4b-4b01-b58a-a0ba51fc4f73">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]east, guess what? the H and I will be in your neck of the woods November 1.

Word, homie.  We'll go to olive garden. 

• Hi. 1980 called, they want their office back.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I just quit smoking almost a year ago and I HATED that they allowed smoking in restuarants. Bars are fine with me though.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:e9c16a0a-ee0c-4737-9e13-e68b6df757ed">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular opinions : I'm like the perfect storm - I hate to exercise, I love to eat, and I hate almost every single fruit and vegetable out there. 
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

I think we could be very good friends.  I would go dancing with you too.  None of my close friends want to go dancing with me. 
    I despise going to the gym.  If I'm doing something fun, like playing tennis or riding my bike around the park, I'm golden, but I absolutely hate the gym. and running. I don't run unless I'm being chased by something very scary...which has yet to happen.
  • I have yet to go to a fondue restaurant that isn't expensive.  I've never paid less than $45 for it. 

I'd way rather do it at home.

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e3ad6c9-8951-45f0-984d-3c693c3e7637Post:fffad514-a2f4-4ef3-9ac6-16ed7323ab94">Re: Unpopular opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I remember when I went to the Melting Pot for my birthday (do you all have that?  high priced fondue...melty cheese.....) and there was a family there with toddlers.  Toddlers all over the place.  It's basically a pot of bubbling cheese over a flame (and hot oil for frying with the entrees).  That was really stupid.  My sister worked there for awhile last Christmas and she couldn't believe the amount of families in there.
    Posted by Meg1979[/QUOTE]

Dear God, I love the Melting Pot. OM NOM NOM. 
  • I was so happy when I moved to a city with smoke-free bars because I was glad I wouldn't feel like I had to febreeze my hair before I went to sleep. All through college I smelled like a walking ashtray because of the college bars. I had a special bar purse and everything. It also made my hangovers a million times worse.

I'm not a fan of smoking, but I have friends who do and it usually doesn't bother me if we're outside or it's just one person smoking in a place. I think a lot of smoke problems could be solved if bars and restaraunts invested money into really nice air filtration systems.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards