Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Speaking of Kindle....vacation reads?

We're heading to FL on Sunday (squee!) and I will be needing some new books to read on the plane and the beach.  At least 2 or 3.  I'd like them to be fairly easy reading, preferrably no tearjerkers, I don't like crying on planes.

Similar fluffy things I've liked....anything by Emily Giffin, Jodi Picoult, Jane Green, or Curtis Sittenfeld.  But I've read all of their stuff so I need something new to love :)

Thanks ladies!
ttc chart
BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12

Re: Speaking of Kindle....vacation reads?

• Options
    *SQUEEEEE*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Hmmm...I just put "Mennonite in a Little Black Dress" on mine a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to read it though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Try JD Robb's In Death series. They don't come out fast enough!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    Have you read any Sophie Kinsella? I've only read Twenties Girl, but it was cute and sounds like what you're looking for. I also like the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty. It starts with Sloppy Firsts.
  • Options
    Can I come?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Bumped by Meg McCafferty was a light and pretty easy read once you get past the annoying made-up future words that the author uses. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Pink - sure!  If you drive down to DE I'll pack you in my suitcase.  Then you can maybe hang out with Fezz too! :)
    ttc chart
  • Options
    I JUST bought a Kindle.  Like, forty-five minutes ago at Best Buy.  On my lunch break.

Do you like urban fantasy, TR?
  • Options
    Based on your likes:
    Snowflower and the Secret Fan
    The Other Bolyn Girl
    Girl with the Pear Earing
    The Glass Castle

Books I didn't like, but my bookclub did:
    Water for Elephants
    The Time Traveler's Wife
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Check on Meg McCafferty - her stuff looks interesting :)

And yep, I've read a couple Sophie Kinsella - Remember Me? and The Shopaholic series, but not Twenties Girl for some reason.  I'll check it out.
    ttc chart
  • Options
    Urban fantasy?  I'm not sure I know what that entails.  I like Dystopian Future novels, though.  Like Animal Farm, 1984 and zombie/epidemic apocalypse books:)  Damn, I feel like there was a book I heard about, maybe through Alix, that was a zombie apocalypse book, but from the POV of the zombies...
    ttc chart
  • Options
    You read The Help, right?  If you liked that, I would read Mudbound by Hillary Jordan.  It's not a fluffy read, but it's also no a tear jerker.  I really liked it.

And if you do want to read it, I could loan it to you.  And yes, I just double checked to make sure it is a loanable book.  Being a Kindle tease once in a day is enough for me!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes please, DNB!  Ooooh exciting!

And what is up with some Kindle books being more expensive than paperbacks?  Seriously.
    ttc chart
  • Options
    No problem.  PM me your email, or send it to me on FB.  If you want to wait until closer to Sunday since the loans are only good for 2 weeks just let me know.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Pink, I keep hearing so many good things about Bumped.  I really have to read that one, I think.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was good, but sad. 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I'm headed to FL Wednesday!! Where are you going to be?

SaraBear got me booked on the High Heels series - shoe designer ends up having murders happen all around her. Boob implants get impaled. Hot detective mexican boyfriend. Basically it's very fun and very easy to read. It does not take a lot of brain cells =) I liked reading them because I could stop and pick back up easily.
  • Options
    TR, Urban Fantasy is fantasy set in a modern setting, as opposed to Tolkien-esque High Fantasy.

I just read Shanna Swendson's Enchanted, Inc., which is why I asked.  It's about a woman who moves to NYC and learns that magic exists, and that she's immune to it.  It's the first of a series, and I really liked it.  It's pretty light and fluffy.
  • Options
    Damn, seriously, now I really want to remember the name of that zombie book.
    ttc chart
  • Options
    Bay, it was good.  It was actually frightening if it were to ever happen but luckily the book was sort of tongue in cheek. 

I just read Divergent over the weekend by Veronica Roth and it was AMAZING.  It definitely isn't a light read but I love dystopian books and this was fantastic. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LDY - we'll be in Key Largo from Sun-Fri and then Stuart until Tues.

Oh cool, thanks hlq, I'll check that out.  I liked Twilight and HP so should be good :)
    ttc chart
  • Options
    There's another series I really liked by Aprilynne Pike that is YA and easy reads.  I think it was Pink who first mentioned it when she said the first in the series, Wings, was free at te time.  It's about a teenage girl who discoveres she is a fairie.  There are 3 in the series out so far (Spells is #2 and then Illusions is #3), and there is a 4th that hasn't been released yet.  I would loan those too but apparently they aren't loanable ones.  Which I also think is BS.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't get how they decide what is loanable and what is not.  I mean, it's a freaking book.

Oh yeah, I did read Wings.  I think I liked it ok.
    ttc chart
  • Options
    Okay, okay... this is going to make me lame as hell, but... here goes. 

*deep breath*

I just read the first three books of the Wings series and quite enjoyed them. 

*shame face*

It's almost worse than liking Twilight but I can't HELP it! They're fun to read!!
  • Options
    Yeah, I think all books should be loanable.  And I think they should change it so you can loan it as many times as you want, but have to pay like $1 or something so that the authors are still getting something.  I get that they need to make money, but when someone buys the physical book they can pass it as much as they want for free.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Pink - Divergent - check!  I love dystopian novels :)
    ttc chart
  • Options
    Ha.  DAMMIT.  I can't believe I just was all cray cray about that, and DNB had already mentioned it!!

TR, you could also try The Peach Keeper and The Sugar Queen.  I LOVE these books.  LOVE.
  • Options
    Snippy - well yeah and who wouldn't want to be a faerie?
    ttc chart
  • Options
    Hahaha Snippy that's exactly how i feel.  H laughed at me when I said I was reading books about fairies.  I am such an anti-Twilight person, so I feel lame that i liked them too.  But I did.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    T (and/or anyone) if any of these books tickle your fancy, I can loan them to you:

Water For Elephants
    The Hangman's Daughter
    The Book Thief (LOVED this)
    My Sister's Keeper by Bill Benners this is not the correct My Sister's Keeper, I accidentally bought the wrong one and this one was okay it was a mystery/thriller. 
    Abandon by Meg Cabot - haven't read this yet, hope it's good!
    Aries at Dawn by William Amerman - haven't read this yet either but it was 2.99
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Beach, I KNOW.  I couldn't STOP reading them either!!  I was mad when I realized the series isn't finished yet. GRRR.

Lucky for me, H doesn't know that I was reading them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards