Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Merry Christmas Eve, E!

Re: Merry Christmas Eve, E!

• Options
    I am the same way at times Mica. When we don't know what to get people- we do the booze thing. Christmas shopping was really hard on us this year, so I made almost everyones gift. But we had to wait until today to get some gifts (Friday being payday) so my grandpa is getting gin and vermouth- he lives martinis. I hope he likes it. I wanted to get him a shirt like he asked, but I refuse to go retail shopping Cmas eve.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Holly you are good daughter, and J&K I bet you aren't really, truly horrible at the gift giving thing.

Okay, truth time, I feel I am hit or miss with the gift giving process.  Most people who know me well know I really do not like Christmas.  Gasp, horror, I know.  My only brother passed away very young 23 years ago the day after a wonderful Christmas day.  Since then I have really tried, especially when my kids were little. I am getting better at it and FI has been super wonderful.  On top of this, it is my first Christmas away from my college kids as they are with their dad this year.  I will not see any of my family this year at all.  Ugh.  Yesterday, was really a rough day for me and it came out really bad in FFF.  So I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.  Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Now, I am going to lose myself in baking, wrapping for FI, and work till this whole holiday thing is over.  And, of course, hanging out with my internet friends.  Then, my favorite time of year is here, winter, snow, skiing (hopefully, with my knee surgery, the jury is still out on that), and snowmobiling.  Come on Mother Nature, dump on us!
  • Options
    Doing good, Barbie!  How about you?
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_merry-christmas-eve-e?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c561985-e103-41b0-be27-9a5e2077b2b0Post:997636b0-95ce-411e-9295-233aedb599ee">Re: Merry Christmas Eve, E!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dad is not an emotional person either, and at most you get a "cool" or "thanks." but when I made him a calendar of pictures, mostly of my brother and me throughout the years, he cried and couldn't stop hugging us. Victory was mine. I love picking out gifts, but I admit I don't always go for the practical. All the stuff I got H this year, he doesn't need at all, but they are all super cool (in my opinion) things.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

I loved making calendars of BB for our folks last year.  But.... I have to admit that I was a bit surprised  when we were at my ILs one day and my MIL opened her kitchen cabinet  and there it was hanging on the inside where no one could see it.  Granted, my grandma used to keep hers hanging inside a cabinet like that but it was a store bought one, not a grandbaby one. I would think that it would be a "Grandma bragging" opportunity.  My mom keeps hers on the kitche wall where everyone and their brother can see it.  Oh, well.  They're getting new ones this year.  ;-)
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Good morning and Merry Christmas Eve!  I'm just hanging out for the day until I head to my grandparents tonight.  Fi is at the football game this afternoon so I'm thinking I'll just curl up with a book.

Holly that gift is really sweet, I think gifts like that are some of the best gifts you can give!

J I'm also kind of crappy at giving gifts, I always feel guilty that I didn't do well enough.
  • Options
    Mrs B, the picture calendars are the best.  I have one my sister made me and I am bummed that this is the last  month I get to use it.   Unless, she sends me a new one.  I totally wouldn't mind a repeat of that gift!

Hi Barbie.  How are you feeling?
  • Options
    Aw, Ski!  THat makes me sad.  It sucks that things change and even Christmas can't always be the way we remember it when we were young and innocent and didn't have to deal with the big, bad ugly world outside.  And I hear you on the part about not getting to see your own family.  I cried on Tgiving the first year we were married because we didn't go to my family's GTG and it just wasn't the same.

Sending some Christmas cheer your way!

• Options
    Fezz- Glad you are doing good! I was doing okay until I asked a question on our month board, now they have me flipped out!
    image Robby James born 2.24.12 @ 23 weeks due to preterm labor
    Remembering Robby
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_merry-christmas-eve-e?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c561985-e103-41b0-be27-9a5e2077b2b0Post:315a50dc-a075-4ce3-8183-30b6e95c1476">Re: Merry Christmas Eve, E!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fezz- Glad you are doing good! I was doing okay until I asked a question on our month board, now they have me flipped out!
    Posted by barbie92[/QUOTE]

??? Is everything okay?

• Options
    Photo calendars are the best.  I make one every year and love flipping the month at the end of each month, it's nice to relive memories through the year.
  • Options
    Thanks Mrs B.  I am trying to focus on our trip to Toronto next week.  And the fact that my son set up my computer to Skype with him and his sister tomorrow.   Please enjoy Baby B, she is a cutie!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_merry-christmas-eve-e?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c561985-e103-41b0-be27-9a5e2077b2b0Post:a99f248a-dbdb-4f1d-b976-c07fdb8f3e6d">Re: Merry Christmas Eve, E!</a>:
    [QUOTE]B, I totally get that.  Three years ago, my FI and I had to split Christmas between my family and his, and it sucked balls.  I did not like being away from my family for Christmas.  Now, we just invite his mom here, and we get the best of both worlds.  He gets to spend Christmas with his mom, and I get Christmas with my family.  It works out really well, <strong>other than his mother aggravates the shiit out of me and everyone else. </strong>
    Posted by Holly4212011[/QUOTE]

Ha!  You know that means story time, right?  ;-)

• Options
    My mom made a picture calendar for my grandparents a few years ago, and now that's all they want for Christmas.

Last year, my mom included a pic of my brother wearing nothing but a bright pink thong (and let's just say, he's a very hairy kid, and proud of it) doing a "sexy dance" (my brother is not shy, and he was doing this in front of my mom's friends who he had never met before).

To my grandparents' credit, they actually kept that picture up all month long. they got a huge kick out of it. So now we know, if there is an embarrasing picture of you out there, chances are, it will end up in a picture calendar.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas Eve...

DH and I just opened our gifts.  We started doing that a few years ago because we both work late tonight and tomorrow.  so we decided to do it on xmas eve morning instead.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and holiday.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Mrs.B- Yesterday I was having a lot of sharp pains while breathing. It went on all day, but I was able to breath well enough that I wasn't too concerned. My H convinced me to ask the June board, and one of the responses was that it could be a blood clot. I had convinced myself it was stuff moving in there!
    Remembering Robby
  • Options
    One of my SILs does the photo calendars for everyone in H's family.  It's great.
  • Options
    Hey Ski! I am okay, how are you doing?
    Remembering Robby
  • Options
    Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_merry-christmas-eve-e?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c561985-e103-41b0-be27-9a5e2077b2b0Post:19504783-81ff-4d28-87fb-5b9e1de15248">Re: Merry Christmas Eve, E!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mrs.B- Yesterday I was having a lot of sharp pains while breathing. It went on all day, but I was able to breath well enough that I wasn't too concerned. My H convinced me to ask the June board, and one of the responses was that it could be a blood clot. I had convinced myself it was stuff moving in there!

I can certainly see where someone could come to that conclusion.  It could also be as simple as indigestion. ;-)  Has it stopped?  There's nothing wrong with a trip to the doctor if you are uncertain.  I hope you feel better!

ETA: spelling

• Options
    Holly, I love your aunt's response.
  • Options
    Hi Lynda.  I like that.  FI told me we have to get up early tomorrow to open presents because he works a 16 hour shift.  Holy 5 am batman.  I know who is going back to bed once he leaves for work.  Yes, you guessed it, me and Helmut (my Golden).

Anybody hungry for party mix?  2nd batch I have made this week is coming out of the oven.

• Options
    Merry Christmas Eve! H just left for work and I need to go feed the horses but it's cold!
  • Options
    That looks yummy, Ski!

• Options
    Hi!  I'm here for a bit while my nails dry.  Then I'm attempting to make THIS and some wrapping presents before I go to MIL's tonight.
  • Options
    Ooh, that looks good loopy. My mom is making cheesecake for tomorrow and I can't wait.
  • Options
    Mrs.B- I tried to call my doctor, but they had already closed. I am not having any trouble with it today, but if I do I will have my doctor paged to see what she says :)
    Remembering Robby
  • Options
    That sounds delicious, Loopy!  Hope it turns out for you.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_merry-christmas-eve-e?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c561985-e103-41b0-be27-9a5e2077b2b0Post:fc0e5544-00c6-4fd5-843d-5056c2e27bef">Re: Merry Christmas Eve, E!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Ski! I am okay, how are you doing?

I am glad to hear that.  You are being a trooper.  I am cleared (finally) to start going to the gym and start working out again.  Still taking the rat poisen for the blood clot, but at least I am having weekly blood draws rather than every couple of days. 

Sorry your June board scared you.  I got a blood clot below my knee just after the knee surgery.  If you are still nervous do call your PCP.  They are nothing to mess with.  They can do tests and get you an answer pretty quickly.
  • Options

Well Lia was showing up, but i think she's gone again. I don't have her blocked because it would tell me she posted but the content was blocked. TK wonkiness again. We just finished breakfast. I've got to shower then we'll probably go see a movie.

I'm pretty good at giftgiving. I love finding things that people didn't even realize they wanted.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_merry-christmas-eve-e?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c561985-e103-41b0-be27-9a5e2077b2b0Post:886ebae3-460b-4610-8724-3462db96cb18">Re: Merry Christmas Eve, E!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi!  I'm here for a bit while my nails dry.  Then I'm attempting to make  THIS  and some wrapping presents before I go to MIL's tonight.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

that looks amazing Loopy

::contemplates trip back to store to purchase ingredients::
  • Options
    LoopysevenLoopyseven member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never made caramel sauce before.  This is going to be interesting :).

I'll probably make a huge mess :).  And unfortunately I'll have to clean it up myself.

Well, I'm off to make caramel sauce.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Pinterest is the devil.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards