Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Repost of Sucret's Baby name post

Since things are randomly disappearing and I was able to click the back button to find it.

SUCRETS
 "Linnea Helene lastname (many of you know it...even though it's uber generic)

(lyn-NAY-uh hell-EENE)

My grandmother's name was Helen and I didn't realize how strongly I wanted to use it in some way until we found out we're having a girl.  But I like Helene better, lol.

Posting and running, but I'll be back to check ideas later.

OPALSKY007
"I love Helene. But I'm not too crazy about Linnea.

What about Lily Helene? It flows nicely."

FutureMrsTR
 "I love the sound of the first name, but she'll probably have to deal with people always mispronouncing it.

Side note, I always wanted to name a daughter "BAY-uh" but couldn't figure out how to spell it other than Bea and people would just pronounce it BEE.
Christmas Party Time!"

YaPUPPY "
    I like that....Linnea is different, and Helene is really pretty.  My only concern would be people pronouncing Linnea wrong"

COCOREO3
"I like it, but I have a feeling that people will mispronounce and/or misspell Linnea a lot. "

JK10910
"I like Linnea.  I knew someone named Linnea in college."

Re: Repost of Sucret's Baby name post

• Options
    I know someone named Linnea. She is very outspoken and is currently one of the writers for the LSU student newspaper. She may even be an editor. We have different political views, but she is one smart cookie. So I like that name. Its unique without being younycke
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I do like Linnea.

But SERIOUSLY...

Neyvaeh Madysyn Bronxwick III.

It flows.
  • Options
    Recap of my other post:

Not using her middle name all the time, just Linnea Lastname sounds like a crime-fighting heroine in a movie.

I like Ainsley Helene.
  • Options

TR- I think you posted about the name Baya... that's how a girl who was on the Real World had it spelled.  Makes the pronunciation easy :)

My three new favorite girl names are:

Siobhan
    Shiloh
    Lily

Not a fan of Linnea, sorry :(

• Options
    Mine:

I like it a lot, and it reminds me of the childrens book Linnea in Monet's Garden.  I loved that book.  I wouldn't think it would be that hard to figure out, but maybe that's just because I already know the name.

I like it much better than Ainsley...almost as much as Quinn :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_repost-of-sucrets-baby-name-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fee62d2-b0e0-4c3f-97a3-5cb912785f54Post:b4c7c6ec-ae6f-426e-8e4b-e550d05362c8">Re: Repost of Sucret's Baby name post</a>:
    [QUOTE]My three new favorite girl names are: <strong>Siobhan</strong> Shiloh Lily Not a fan of Linnea, sorry :(
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

Now THAT one is going to cause people trouble.
  • Options
    I like Quinn a lot, too.  I have family with that as a last name though, so I couldn't use it.
  • Options
    I really love Linnea, but I'd just use Helen as the middle name. 

I still like Ainsley, and I've never been a fan of Quinn (sorry!) with your last name.  It's too choppy!  I think you need two syllables, at least.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Kiki - I like Shiloh, but yeah Siobhan is going to really give people trouble, haha.  I had to Google how to pronounce it :)

I think my favorite name for a girl right now is Olivia Louise.  My mom's middle name is Louise and my middle name is my grandmother's middle name, so...we'll see.  Not even married yet, haha.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options

Yeah, Siobhan is a good Irish name- not so much American ;)

Show-Bon for anyone who is curious.

• Options
    I like Linnea, but I think it would be challenging with pronunciation.

Regarding naming kids for other people. . . personally, I hate that.  My first name is from my great-grandmother's live-in nurse of 15 years, and my middle name is from my grandmother.  I hate having somebody else's name.  I, personally, feel like my parents couldn't be bothered to think up a name for me - they just used somebody else's name.  My sister got a name with no family tie, and I would much prefer that.  People all want to tell me how I am like/different my namesakes, etc.  I hate that too.  True, not everyone is quite so fiercely independant, but it bugs me, and will for the rest of my life.  I have flat refused to use any family names for our kids. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    y'all are white, lol.

what's wrong with a normal name? if there's the remote possibility that a name will give someone trouble with pronunciation, I have discarded it as name choice for my future children. and there are way too many Ainsleys in kindergarten classes right now. and too many names that end in "aiden" or "ayden."

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_repost-of-sucrets-baby-name-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fee62d2-b0e0-4c3f-97a3-5cb912785f54Post:b1c21abc-df07-43f0-96aa-cc6a0ad5499f">Re: Repost of Sucret's Baby name post</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like Linnea, but I think it would be challenging with pronunciation. Regarding naming kids for other people. . . personally, I hate that.  My first name is from my great-grandmother's live-in nurse of 15 years, and my middle name is from my grandmother.  I hate having somebody else's name.  I, personally, feel like my parents couldn't be bothered to think up a name for me - they just used somebody else's name.  My sister got a name with no family tie, and I would much prefer that.  People all want to tell me how I am like/different my namesakes, etc.  I hate that too.  True, not everyone is quite so fiercely independant, but it bugs me, and will for the rest of my life.  I have flat refused to use any family names for our kids. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

My grandmother died when my mom was 13.  I obviously never knew her, and she was sick for most of the time that my mom remembers.  It's more of a tribute to her, if that makes sense.
    Thanks for the repost, anna.  I appreciate it.  Stupid knot.

I think I like Helene more because Helen just doesn't sound right as a middle name to me.  I'm not opposed to using Helen, but haven't found anything that it seems to fit with first.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_repost-of-sucrets-baby-name-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fee62d2-b0e0-4c3f-97a3-5cb912785f54Post:87da1e72-e3d2-4c8c-85da-cdb65214b212">Re: Repost of Sucret's Baby name post</a>:
    [QUOTE]y'all are white, lol. what's wrong with a normal name? if there's the remote possibility that a name will give someone trouble with pronunciation, I have discarded it as name choice for my future children. and there are way too many Ainsleys in kindergarten classes right now. and too many names that end in "aiden" or "ayden."
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]

We have an uber generic, boring last name.  DH hated growing up being one of a million Bryan ______.  He wants something a little bit more unique, without being weird.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_repost-of-sucrets-baby-name-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fee62d2-b0e0-4c3f-97a3-5cb912785f54Post:ccc3da77-8180-40fd-a8cf-154b4acf9db0">Re: Repost of Sucret's Baby name post</a>:
    [QUOTE]Recap of my other post: Not using her middle name all the time, just Linnea Lastname sounds like a crime-fighting heroine in a movie. I like Ainsley Helene.
    Posted by georgia_bride09[/QUOTE]

GB, I'm sure DH loves that!

• Options
    Sucrets, that's cool.  Apparently my mom and her first cousins had a deal that whomever had the first girl named her after their grandmother's nurse (who they liked better than their grandmother, really).  I just wish that hadn't been me.  I understand the point of the tribute, just putting my side of it out there for people to mull over.

Your kid - name her whatever makes you happy.  :)  (Oh, and the last name thing - remember, she might change hers one day when she gets married.)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I can see the point about the generic name, sucrets. I have a generic first and last name, as well as a VERY common generic new last name courtesy of FI. once we're married, I'll have the same name (first and last) as our premarital counselor. :(

I think you can go non-generic without difficult spellings or pronunciations. for instance, my first girl will be Paige Michele Lastname. both names are common and easy to pronounce, without being completely generic, you know? and Michele has one L because my middle name is also Michele and that's how my mama spelled it on my birth certificate.

• Options
    We'll do what we like, but I just feel like I need opinions for other names that sound good.  I'm not so good at coming up with stuff like that and figured that you guys have great ideas and opinions.

That's crappy that you feel that way, though, sq.  :(

• Options
    I liked what someone else said, Lily Helene. it is very pretty and flows nicely.

• Options
    pooh - I don't know if you've been following my name saga, but I'm a teacher so there are a TON of names that I associate with kids, even ones that I taught 10 years ago.  It just makes it more difficult because I'm picky. 

• Options
    What does being white have to do with anything?

And I have zero interest in giving my kid a generic name- there will be no Jennifer, Sarah, Michelle or Amy in my family.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_repost-of-sucrets-baby-name-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fee62d2-b0e0-4c3f-97a3-5cb912785f54Post:0e8a1a23-59c9-421a-a75c-8250ec924fed">Re: Repost of Sucret's Baby name post</a>:
    [QUOTE]pooh - I don't know if you've been following my name saga, but I'm a teacher so there are a TON of names that I associate with kids, even ones that I taught 10 years ago.  It just makes it more difficult because I'm picky. 
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]
    I have not been following your name saga. but I do know what you mean. I've been a tech in the ER for the past 3 years so I've seen a LOT of weird names, mosty on kids less than 10 years old. in fact, I've kept a list. and I plan to be an L&D/nursery nurse, so I'll have even more exposure to weird names. basically, the list is what NOT to name your kid.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_repost-of-sucrets-baby-name-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fee62d2-b0e0-4c3f-97a3-5cb912785f54Post:06478ab1-f737-4d6b-925d-21235046bea5">Re: Repost of Sucret's Baby name post</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>What does being white have to do with anything?</strong> And I have zero interest in giving my kid a generic name- there will be no Jennifer, Sarah, Michelle or Amy in my family.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_repost-of-sucrets-baby-name-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fee62d2-b0e0-4c3f-97a3-5cb912785f54Post:b1c21abc-df07-43f0-96aa-cc6a0ad5499f">Re: Repost of Sucret's Baby name post</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like Linnea, but I think it would be challenging with pronunciation. Regarding naming kids for other people. . . personally, I hate that.  My first name is from my great-grandmother's live-in nurse of 15 years, and my middle name is from my grandmother.  I hate having somebody else's name.  I, personally, feel like my parents couldn't be bothered to think up a name for me - they just used somebody else's name.  My sister got a name with no family tie, and I would much prefer that.  People all want to tell me how I am like/different my namesakes, etc.  I hate that too.  True, not everyone is quite so fiercely independant, but it bugs me, and will for the rest of my life.  I have flat refused to use any family names for our kids. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

See, I have the total opposite opinion on this (which is weird because we tend to be brain twins).

My first name is after my mother--her maiden name was O'Brien, and her middle name is Anne, hence, Brieanne.  My middle name is Michelle, after my father, who was Michael (and is now deceased).  When I marry my FI, I'll take his last name, so I'll be named after the three most important people in my life.  It means a TON to me, to the point that I never sign my name without my middle initial as kind of a tribute to my dad.  We're planning on giving our children our mothers' maiden names as middle names because both names will be "dying out" otherwise.

I consider myself incredibly independent, and I still like it. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I think Siobhan is the easiest of the Irish names to pronounce. I like Saiorse, too, but no one can figure out how to pronounce it from the spelling (seer-sha). Siobhan at least is common enough (not common, but not unknown) that people sort of remember bh = v in Irish, I guess. It is pretty.

Anyway, not sure how I feel about Linnea, but I like the idea of using Helene. I love using family names or spin-offs for middle names, especially. I  love Quinn for a girl, but I do think you need at least a two syllable first name.

And I don't know why this is bold.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    what does being white have to do with anything? work in the medical community long enough, and you can learn to identify names with certain races or cultures. when I hear some of the names on this list, I think of this: www.stuffwhitepeoplelike.com

it's a joke. ha, ha. hence the "lol" at the end.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_repost-of-sucrets-baby-name-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fee62d2-b0e0-4c3f-97a3-5cb912785f54Post:621501dd-3175-4911-b3ec-9812ac7633f0">Re: Repost of Sucret's Baby name post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Repost of Sucret's Baby name post : I have not been following your name saga. but I do know what you mean. I've been a tech in the ER for the past 3 years so I've seen a LOT of weird names, mosty on kids less than 10 years old. in fact, I've kept a list. and I plan to be an L&D/nursery nurse, so I'll have even more exposure to weird names. basically, the list is what NOT to name your kid.
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, I've seen some crazy things, too.  But I associate the names with certain kids.

Last year, there was a Pre-K kid who was AWFUL.  Spit at the principal and had to be physically restrained.  He was a pain and because of him, I will never name a child Preston.  I don't think that I'll forget him, years down the road.  Maybe eventually, but he'll still be pretty fresh in my mind in the next few years when we have kids.

Oh, and I like that Linnea is Scandanavian because of my heritage.  :)

• Options
    (I realize I'm way late on this, Sucrets!)

Of course my vote is for Gretchen. :)

Our kids will be named after people we love. It's just something that means a lot to DH & I, but I can understand Squirrly's point.

This is the order in which I like your names:

Linnea
    Ainsley
    Quinn

I agree with Brie in that Quinn Jones is too short. Ainsley is a cute name, but something about the "Ains" part of the name seems severe in a way. I can't really explain it.

Some of my favorite girls' names are: Violet, Lillian, Morgan, Regan, Leah, Natalie, Charlotte, Scarlett, Stella, Laurel, and Lilah.

Lurk on TB's Baby Names board. You may find some you like there!
  • Options
    I like the name but I love it reversed.  Helena Linnea has a really nice ring to it with your last name.
  • Options
    I like the idea of Linnea, but it's for an art history dork reason - the American artist Charles Willson Peale named all of his kids after either artists or scientists (Raphaelle, Rembrandt, Rubens, Franklin, etc.) and one of the boys was named Linnaeus. I kind of like the idea of doing something that Charles Willson Peale did. But I'm weird. Still, a cool name.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards