Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

FFT?/GOOD MORNING AWESOME EENERS!!!

Re: FFT?/GOOD MORNING AWESOME EENERS!!!

• Options
    mkruparmkrupar member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:c9744596-802f-48ab-9684-edddfb6e1931">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Me too Mel. <strong>I'm open to what other people think/believe because most of the time it's different than me where I live. It just hasn't ended up well when I've "discussed" with people that tell me A is right, no if ands or buts even though I believe B, so I usually try to avoid that now.</strong> The friend I lost over the political debate wasn't a good friend though, and it was her own fault. She pretty much put the last nail in the coffin. If it was a better friend I don't think I would have ventured down the path we went. ETA: One of my BM's is about as opposite as me on the political and religious spectrum. We are good friends because we accept each other's difference and love each other anyways. ::cue Reading Rainbow song::
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

This is what I was trying to get across in my first post about this topic. It's the whole black and white aspect that some people have and they can't possibly imagine that there could be another way of thinking.

Edited: missed an s
  • Options
    Don't even get me started on all of the things I've realized about my parents as I've become an adult. Tongue out It was the main topic of bro and my therapy session on Sunday when we went out for drinks.
  • Options
    Like fucking shiit. Hold on. I'll show you a picture of what my drive home looked like.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:4e79682b-7bfe-4562-b391-184419f1c950">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Blue is interesting to me because it's rare that I meet someone that has such completely opposite opinions from me on like absolutely everything. She's entitled to her opinions, but we would not be friends IRL.
    Posted by salt78[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I wonder about that. I'd be interested to meet her IRL because I think she'd be fun as long as we never, ever talked about anything even remotely political or philosophical. Like she'd be great to grab movies and a drink with. But if Obama or Welfare or Prison or Afghanistan ever came up in conversation, I would have to jet.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I'm late to this discussion, but I'm going to go back and dredge up stuff from page 6.

As somebody who is KU right now and who had a m/c immediately prior to this pregnancy, I think a lot of the opinions on the pregnancy ticker are pretty heinous.  It's MY choice whether to tell or not, and when I want to do so.  There's no etiquette rule or anything else that says I should refrain from doing so.  Also, the risk of m/c drops DRASTICALLY once a heartbeat is detectable, which can happen as early as 6 weeks with sensitive enough equipment. 

Also - keep in mind that many doctors WILL NOT SEE an OB patient before 8 - 10 weeks.  And, you're unlikely to have blood work done before then to confirm the pregnancy, since false negatives aren't very common. 

I DO agree that posting a ticker and a huge "Don't tell Facebook" note, ala SarahPLiz, is kinda crazy.  It's either a secret or it isn't.  I know when I posted mine, I asked people to not mention it on FB for another 3 days, but I accepted the risk that it would happen, because I'm an adult. 

So - bottom line - I flame all the people who have judgemental opinions on when it's suitable for someone else to announce their pregnancy ESPECIALLY those who clearly don't know enough about the statistics of m/c to have an educated opinion. 

And, further, I flame anybody (whether they've had a m/c or not) for thinking that sharing info on being KU is a slap in the face for people who've had a m/c or trouble TTC.  Yes, they might be jealous, but the fact that Tide was KU before I was KU after my m/c wasn't an insult to me.  Seriously.  I was happy for her, and I wouldn't begrudge her being excited about her pregnancy at all. 

/end KU lady rant

Also?  The Switzerland sig drama is perhaps one of the most childish things I've ever heard.  Whoever complained needs to grow up. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    OMG TR that totally sounds like something my brother would give us. He actually did go out and buy me this tool that will shatter my car window and rip off my seat belt in the event that I drive into a lake, but I guess that is more practical...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:ece78c87-da28-4cf0-a1ed-e2af1b7b676c">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFT? : You get to sleep in a cat-free bed??! Lucky. If I tried to lock my kitties out, they'd alternate banging their entire bodies against the door until I let them back in. And the one not throwing his or her self against the door would meow loudly and pitifully. I know this because I've tried to sleep without them. They have to be in the same room as me. Do they care if my H is in the same room? Not one darn bit.
    Posted by georgia_bride09[/QUOTE]

Lately Delilah has been curling up in a ball between me and DH. And Nimbus sleeps on the edge of the bed next to me. I'm lucky if I fit in the bed laying on my side. Forget about laying on my stomach.

Sam sleeps on the loveseat all the time. Like, he glares at you if you're sitting on his side of the loveseat and waits for you to move. So I'm pretty sure he spends the night there.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Oh, Birdie, I have one of those.  My dad got it for me.  Or at least I used to, I think I got rid of it eventually.  It seemed like you could really do some damage on a street late at night though.  Just...pow, pow, pow, take out some people's windows.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:86197879-60cc-4485-a1e0-9e428dee6f9f">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, my mom is apparently so paranoid about the fall of our government and society that she bought H and I a 72 hour survival backpack for Christmas.  It has MRE type food, a super flashlight, fancy metallic sleeping bag, swiss army knife type thing, tissues (seriously, WTF?), bottles of water, etc. She sometimes talked about that kind of stuff, but holy hell woman.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

Is it bad that I think that's a totally awesome present?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:86197879-60cc-4485-a1e0-9e428dee6f9f">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, my mom is apparently so paranoid about the fall of our government and society that she bought H and I a 72 hour survival backpack for Christmas.  It has MRE type food, a super flashlight, fancy metallic sleeping bag, swiss army knife type thing, tissues (seriously, WTF?), bottles of water, etc. She sometimes talked about that kind of stuff, but holy hell woman.

My dad built a survival type area in the house for Y2K.  He stocked it for us to live down there for, like, ever.  And bought guns.  Because clearly the looters would be coming.  I imagine he spent several weeks down there after the 08 election...just in case. 

I'm not trying to one up you.  I'm just glad to have found a kindred spirit. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:34d32b57-132c-45cf-b7a6-1ab77e01fb3f">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Birdie, I go the same road as you.  When I discuss something with someone, I like to try and see their point of view.  A discussion is not worth having if it's just two loud voices shouting at each other.  I like to have ideas about things.  My ideas are just that...ideas.  If someone else has a better idea, I'd like to hear it.  If someone has a worse idea, I'd like to hear their basis for it.  I'd also like them to be open to hearing MY ideas.  When both people aren't on bored, it's just frustrating, and I try not to put myself in that position.  This is why I can only talk to my father about sweaters and late 70's television programs.  Anything else is, just...ugh.  Mel: I really don't think he's a terrorist, dad. Dad: Terrorist!  Arab!  Muslim!  Socalist!  <strong>Mudblood</strong>!  Mel: Dad...all he said was "have a nice day."  Dad: He said it with a tone!  And an accent!  Terrorist accent!  My dad is crazy.  I make jokes but I really don't think it's very funny.  He's like Archie Bunker, if Archie Bunker had been around for Fox News.  It makes me sad. 
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]

Might I just say that I love how you threw that insult in there.  Love.  It.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    My mom may or may not have some canned food.  And milk.  WTF.

My mom is almost the last person I would expect to buy into something like that.  She's usually super level headed.

The food does have an expiration in 5 years so H and I made a deal that when that date comes we'll open it up and try it, haha.
    ttc chart
  • Options
    Mery, all three of our cats line up between me and the edge of the bed. And the one cat is still new, so I think there's hissy shuffling at night. Between them and my H, I haven't had room to move since I can remember. And he's crazy enough to think there'd be room for the 70 pound dog. Not in this lifetime. And EVERY morning, BooBoo feels it necessary to make biscuits in my hair. And her motor is a V-8, so there's no sleeping through that at 7am.
  • Options
    [quote] It sucks that when you become an adult, you realize that your parents aren't perfect. [/quote]

Very true.

It sucks in some ways, but it's good in other ways. Eventually we see our parents as not invincible - they're just human beings with flaws like everyone else. Which I think goes a long way in establishing an adult relationship with them, but can be disappointing as well.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Oh noes Fish!! When is your flight??
  • Options
    mkruparmkrupar member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2010

That sounds like something Nebb would have in case of a Zombie attack.

ETA: I'm too slow, Nebb already saw it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:77b04ae7-e04a-4f18-9c57-37e8c5b72dc3">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mery, I'm totally on the Nadar train with you. He's totally under appreciated!!
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

I voted for him in 2000 and I'm proud to admit it. AND I met him at my college once and got his autograph!
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:603bcb23-9e93-41e3-812d-639f8499e762">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow.  These dad stories make my FIL sound like Santa Claus.  Although he did once tell me that black people and women shouldn't be allowed to vote because they always vote Democrat. Come to think of it, he also told me on Sunday day that minorities and women are always the ones on juries who vote innocent and that's part of the reason we have so much crime, and that we should have professional jurors (which I'm assuming by his mindset would be a bunch of white guys). 
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

Nugget, you've never struck me as one who is likely to bite her tongue...how did the rest of this conversation go? 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:67fa6f95-8b75-4f7c-aa9c-cb1e9aa55e6a">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm late to this discussion, but I'm going to go back and dredge up stuff from page 6. As somebody who is KU right now and who had a m/c immediately prior to this pregnancy, I think a lot of the opinions on the pregnancy ticker are pretty heinous.  It's MY choice whether to tell or not, and when I want to do so.  There's no etiquette rule or anything else that says I should refrain from doing so.  Also, the risk of m/c drops DRASTICALLY once a heartbeat is detectable, which can happen as early as 6 weeks with sensitive enough equipment.  Also - keep in mind that many doctors WILL NOT SEE an OB patient before 8 - 10 weeks.  And, you're unlikely to have blood work done before then to confirm the pregnancy, since false negatives aren't very common.  I DO agree that posting a ticker and a huge "Don't tell Facebook" note, ala SarahPLiz, is kinda crazy.  It's either a secret or it isn't.  I know when I posted mine, I asked people to not mention it on FB for another 3 days, but I accepted the risk that it would happen, because I'm an adult.  So - bottom line - I flame all the people who have judgemental opinions on when it's suitable for someone else to announce their pregnancy ESPECIALLY those who clearly don't know enough about the statistics of m/c to have an educated opinion.  And, further, I flame anybody (whether they've had a m/c or not) for thinking that sharing info on being KU is a slap in the face for people who've had a m/c or trouble TTC.  Yes, they might be jealous, but the fact that Tide was KU before I was KU after my m/c wasn't an insult to me.  Seriously.  I was happy for her, and I wouldn't begrudge her being excited about her pregnancy at all.  /end KU lady rant Also?  The Switzerland sig drama is perhaps one of the most childish things I've ever heard.  Whoever complained needs to grow up. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thank you Squirrly. I know some people wouldn't do early tickers, and that's their perrogative, so I don't expect them to like it when I do one. That's fine. Not everyone has to like me.</div><div>
    </div><div>ANd I know the FB comment seems crazy. However, my TK life is separate from my FB and RL except for a few FB friends. If something were to happen and I needed to take that ticker down, TK people may or may not notice and if they did, they'd say something once and it would be over with. I'd have the option whether to read it or not. FB people include lots of extended family who would never leave me the eff alone. This is why we haven't share with them yet. I'm not ready to. But, to each his own. Once we have out first appt on Monday and our first US, whenever that is, I may announce on FB. I haven't decided yet. But I couldn't wait to share with all my TK friends, and I like seeing the little fruit pictures change. Big Whoop. 

</div>
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I was teasing her that the bright red backpack was going to make it easier for the zombies to find us in the woods.
    ttc chart
  • Options
    fish - that is awful!

squirrly - i agree.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:913d0feb-074f-410b-83f5-e27341de2e0c">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFT? : I voted for him in 2000 and I'm proud to admit it. AND I met him at my college once and got his autograph!
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

<div>I voted for him twice. My sister used to work with his sister at Berkeley but I never got to meet him. I envy you. </div>
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I know, guys. OK!? I KNOW.

Tomorrow at 5 am.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I'm rewinding approximately 30 minutes to the point where Mel used "Mudblood!" in her impression of her father to tell her that I love her. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:b0280b7c-d5ad-4ed4-84a7-df6b2c9a2de5">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm rewinding approximately 30 minutes to the point where Mel used "Mudblood!" in her impression of her father to tell her that I love her. 
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

Nugget & Manda how did I miss that??
  • Options
    Not going to lie, I had to google Mudblood to see what it meant :-P
  • Options
    edited December 2010

My father actually won't read or watch Harry Potter (I think they're against Jesus and America) so he wouldn't know what a Mudblood is.  But he's awfully similar to the painting of Walburga Black when he gets going.  

I 3 /> you guys. 

ETA- Ha, I fucked up the heart.  I'm leaving it. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:15835fdc-bcf2-42d6-9c3e-36e64229989b">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know, guys. OK!? I KNOW. Tomorrow at 5 am.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

How are you going to be able to stay up to watch the ball drop?! Or the moose testicles. Or whatever they use in Canadia-land.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't know. I'm hating mother nature 'bout now.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    lol, now i have an image of moose testicles dropping in my head
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards