Wedding Etiquette Forum

FFT?/GOOD MORNING AWESOME EENERS!!!

Re: FFT?/GOOD MORNING AWESOME EENERS!!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:a29c679d-829e-4097-b061-96f355ca14ce">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yet another reason why Chris Brown is a f*cking twatburger. <a href="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/celebritology/2010/12/chris_brown_drops_n-word_gay_s.html?hpid=entnews" rel="nofollow">http://voices.washingtonpost.com/celebritology/2010/12/chris_brown_drops_n-word_gay_s.html?hpid=entnews</a>
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

Did Chris Brown just pull the whole, "I love gay people. Look I have gay friends," argument? Seriously?
  • I really would like to become a vegan.  I hate myself for eating chicken and fish and can't tolerate dairy.  I'm basically there already.  Its the stuff in the stuff that I eat that would make me crazy though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:2a5509e7-a901-49fb-8bc1-579aec74e9a1">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFT? : Lucas would be totally down with this flame. He doesn't understand vegans making a vegan version of things like the KFC Doubledown sandwich. He's like if you're not going to eat meat/animal products why are you trying to find ways to make things that taste like those products.
    Posted by mkrupar[/QUOTE]

It's a comfort thing. Just because you don't eat it for certain reasons doesn't mean you don't like the taste, or don't associate it with foods from your childhood. I've seen vegan pot roast (LOL, I know), which makes no sense, but if you grew up with your family making and eating it, it's nice to have the option. Plus, the "fake" products help people when they transition. They can have a "chicken" patty while everyone else is eating real meat and not feel left out. They're still eating food they know.

We had friends who raised turkeys named Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. :-)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I was a vegetarian for 6 years and a vegan for 2 months of that.  I decided I loved my leather shoes and handbags too much to give them up.  Oh, and real ice cream.  No animal products is REALLY hard to do.  I never held it against others though if they ate meat.

I can't have any association with my meat as a former living animal.  If I ate a cow and someone told me its name, it would be enough to make me stop eating meat for a long time (and has before).  I can't even look at a whole lobster on a plate. 

Again, I don't care if other people do it.  I eat meat now, but I still have some hangups.
  • And I can't go the rest of my life without baked goods that have eggs in them!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:582dc740-086d-4679-994f-0aeb4e1de9b1">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really would like to become a vegan.  I hate myself for eating chicken and fish and can't tolerate dairy.  I'm basically there already.  Its the stuff in the stuff that I eat that would make me crazy though!
    Posted by andy71781[/QUOTE]

One of my friends can't eat dairy and she just married a vegan. I'm sure she probably eats meat still, but not being able to eat dairy would make it WAY easier to convert. Also, having someone in your house who eats vegan. I'd be like, "cool, make me dinner." But I love cheese too much. And it makes going out to non-vegan restaurants almost impossible.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • yeah I'm feel you MP.  I was vegetarian for 15 years and gave it up a couple years ago.  I feel like I'm 1 peta video away from going back to it.  But I realize that animals eat other animals.  That's how I try to justify it to myself.  I don't judge my kitties for being carnivors. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:d43a5959-5092-45cb-8e10-d7ed82798485">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFT? : It's a comfort thing. Just because you don't eat it for certain reasons doesn't mean you don't like the taste, or don't associate it with foods from your childhood. I've seen vegan pot roast (LOL, I know), which makes no sense, but if you grew up with your family making and eating it, it's nice to have the option. Plus, the "fake" products help people when they transition. They can have a "chicken" patty while everyone else is eating real meat and not feel left out. They're still eating food they know. We had friends who raised turkeys named Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. :-)
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Mery I get this. That's the argument I use when he says things like that. People are vegans because they don't like the process of killing an animal/using it's by products for food, but that doesn't mean they don't still like the taste of meat. It doesn't compute with him.
  • H roasted a whole pig for Christmas Eve dinner.  I guess you all know where I fall on the meat/vegetarian/vegan debate.  :)  One of our guests said she couldn't eat the meat after seeing the cooking pig.  I guess I can sort of understand that -- the way we buy meat in a store makes it less like an animal and more like a hunk of protein. 

I'll admit that I wasn't crazy about seeing the uncooked pig in BIL's garden, but the cooked product?  Yum.
  • I totally 'get' vegatarians. I mean I couldn't do it, but I get it. I just don't get never using anything from animals. I mean, eggs. EGGS.

"In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:e675a952-94bb-4345-a3b7-3a27ffa91233">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFT? : One of my friends can't eat dairy and she just married a vegan. I'm sure she probably eats meat still, but not being able to eat dairy would make it WAY easier to convert. Also, having someone in your house who eats vegan. I'd be like, "cool, make me dinner." But I love cheese too much. And it makes going out to non-vegan restaurants almost impossible.

well my H eats meat - LOVES meat and loves to cook.  I've already had him change his mashed potato recipe and start making me cheeseless pizza - I fear that giving up chicken and fish would push him over the edge.  But I wants to.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:0ae65cb3-3e8c-40ef-9fa1-5decb642eeb7">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I totally 'get' vegatarians. I mean I couldn't do it, but I get it. I just don't get never using anything from animals. I mean, eggs. EGGS.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's because those eggs have the potential to become living chickens and we're taking that potential away by eating them? I don't know.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:ba65759d-d550-4045-8c80-7435d6d223c7">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]H roasted a whole pig for Christmas Eve dinner.  I guess you all know where I fall on the meat/vegetarian/vegan debate.  :)  One of our guests said she couldn't eat the meat after seeing the cooking pig.  I guess I can sort of understand that -- the way we buy meat in a store makes it less like an animal and more like a hunk of protein.  I'll admit that I wasn't crazy about seeing the uncooked pig in BIL's garden, but the cooked product?  Yum.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

my dad once did a pig roast for the trailer park (yes - this was my childhood) and I didn't talk to him for a week.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:0ae65cb3-3e8c-40ef-9fa1-5decb642eeb7">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I totally 'get' vegatarians. I mean I couldn't do it, but I get it. I just don't get never using anything from animals. I mean, eggs. EGGS.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

This, exactly.  And milk.  Nobody got hurt in order for me to have milk & all the tasty things it's turned into. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:4428a056-2553-430d-adc4-7c3ae7adf875">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFT? : my dad once did a pig roast for the trailer park (yes - this was my childhood) and I didn't talk to him for a week.

I LOVE pig roasts.  Sorry!

Also, thanks for the hug earlier.  :D 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Chris Brown is fucking loser and a beavernugget.

I don't think we're getting out early :(
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • If I couldn't ever have bacon again I would have to kill somebody.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Yeah, I couldn't be a vegetarian and certainly not a vegan. Eating meat doesn't bother me, and it doesn't bother me to see the animal beforehand. I grew up in the country, surrounded by farms and where deer season is a very big deal. It just never dawned on me to feel guilty about eating meat. Circle of life, you know? 
    Now, I do think it's wrong when slaughterhouses treat animals poorly or cause them unnecessary pain.
  • A vegan "friend" of mine on FB made a post about eggs and why people are still eating chicken periods.  I'm pretty sure I defriended her immediately.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:871cc205-1af2-413e-b45d-c3dc0685b76b">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]yeah I'm feel you MP.  I was vegetarian for 15 years and gave it up a couple years ago.  I feel like I'm 1 peta video away from going back to it.  But I realize that animals eat other animals.  That's how I try to justify it to myself.  I don't judge my kitties for being carnivors. 

That reminds me that I judge the shiit out of vegans who feed their pets a vegan diet. Cats are carnivores. If you don't want to deal with that, don't own a cat!
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:a9888d47-41c8-4e81-b55e-b9de015b4175">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A vegan "friend" of mine on FB made a post about eggs and why people are still eating chicken periods.  I'm pretty sure I defriended her immediately.
    Posted by Moneypenny424[/QUOTE]

She sounds super classy! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:95a95465-2caa-496a-9c38-c2bb9427a4e8">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFT? : That reminds me that I judge the shiit out of vegans who feed their pets a vegan diet. Cats are carnivores. If you don't want to deal with that, don't own a cat!

Whaa? They make vegan cat food?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:818bf4d5-e93b-40bc-8fe5-2d6b690e9ecc">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFT? : So, wait.  You're only willing to be happy for someone about something if it is trouble free?  I guess you wait until people have been married 20 years to be happy for them, in case they get a divorce?  You wanna wait to tell your friends and family, fine.  But eyerolling because somebody else didn't handle life the way YOU do is kinda obnoxious in my view.  And, 8 and 12 weeks are far, far apart in pregnancy land.  Which is it?  Where's your arbitrary cutoff?  I'm sorry, but juding people for when they choose to share big news in their life is harsh.  And frankly, I'm glad that the friends I told very early on (because keeping that entirely to yourself is close to impossible - you NEED to vent when you feel horrible and can't stay awake and can't drink and such) were much more willing to take a "risk" on being happy for me.  Oh.  And that's the same couple of people who comforted me when I had the m/c, too.  I'm really thankful they didn't begrudge me the comfort they offered when it was time to be happy again.  They just rode the rollercoaster with me, and held my hand when it made me sick. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

Damn squirrly, you really need to calm down about this. You are taking my words and complete twisting them into whatever argument you are trying to make.

Did I say I wouldn't be happy for them? No. I would be happy, and frankly I just found that someone important in my life is about 10 weeks pregnant and had previous fertility issues. I am happy for them, thrilled even. You make it sound like I wish despair and dismay on everyone when anything good happens to them.  Way to judge and make assumptions on that one.

I find it kind of obnoxious that I'm apparently not allowed to have a personal opinion about something without pissing someone else off. We're 2 different people who handle things in 2 different ways. Did I say you couldn't share your news? no, but I'm going to have an opinion about it. Just like everyone else does, you just don't always hear it.

And I don't have an arbitrary cutoff. I realized I was wrong and changed my opinion when other people (salt, being one, if you would like an example) agreed and also stated that 8, 9, 10 weeks is very different from 4 or 5. Why aren't you jumping down her throat about it?

And I also clearly stated that telling family and close friends was entirely different than sharing with a bunch of internet strangers. Everyone has their friends on here, but there's also a lot of random people and lurkers. I don't think the whole world needs to know right away.

And I'm also really grateful for you that you had people to comfort you and hold your hand during what must have been such a difficult time. Again, why I said it's completely different to tell family and friends who care about you and would be there for no matter what. Not to say that people here don't care about you, but parents who raised you, friends who have through everything with you and a husband who loves you more than life itself are completely different from people who know you by a few pictures and comments on a wedding website.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just got back and Cengle I flame you myself for not letting us know!! You must come next time!

I'll also let you know when we head to St. Louey. FI has family there and is a H.U.G.E. cards fan. We went there for vacay this past summer.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:a9888d47-41c8-4e81-b55e-b9de015b4175">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A vegan "friend" of mine on FB made a post about eggs and why people are still eating chicken periods.  I'm pretty sure I defriended her immediately.
    Posted by Moneypenny424[/QUOTE]

VOM.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fft?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cc65dd7-abf6-4edf-9e40-854c809d282cPost:4428a056-2553-430d-adc4-7c3ae7adf875">Re: FFT?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFT? : my dad once did a pig roast for the trailer park (yes - this was my childhood) and I didn't talk to him for a week.

The shore our summer house was on used to have a pig roast every year. I remember being kind of freaked out by the whole pig!

the milk/eggs argument has to do with the fact that it's exploiting a substance that belongs to the animal. Eggs normally get fertilized and become baby chickens. Milk is usually used to nurse baby cows. To vegans it isn't "fair" to take it away. Then compound the issue with the whole factory farm system, the fact that hormones and antibiotics are used to get more milk out of the cow, year round, and the fact that chickens and cows are disposed of when they are no longer profitable, and that's where the whole "harm" argument comes in.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • HA!!!  Next time I make breakfast I'm totally asking Noodle if he wants his chicken period over easy or scrambled.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• My reason for giving up milk/eggs is much more about the inhumane conditions imposed on the animals.  I guess that's the "harm" thing.
  • I'm of the camp that I'd rather a million strangers know if I lose a baby than my MIL who would turn it into something equaling the holocost in terms of devistation. I would never hear the end of it. I'd have a new baby and she'd be all...oh, I wish (new baby) could have met old baby. It would be a damper for the rest of my life. I don't feel that way about my internet peeps.
  • I have issues with eggs and milk.  I can make them in my own body.  I don't like that.  That's so gross to me.  I can eat eggs when they stop looking like eggs (like quiche) and I can eat things with milk in them.  But just eggs or just milk?  Vom.  My brain can't cope with it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards