Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Evening

Re: Evening

• Options
    Night, Erin!

Loopy, that's adorable. When my friend told her parents, she gave them a photo album from their wedding the year before. The very last picture was a sonogram.
  • Options
    Weeeeelll I know someone that's single.....but he's currently in jail....I don't know if you want him Chrissy.

Loopy - that's just too freaking adorable! I love it!
  • Options
    Bye Erin and Chrissy.

Angel - not going to be sticking around all night with me tonight? Saaad : (
  • Options
    Help control the pet population.  Have your pet spayed or neutered.

Angel, I find that if I take my melatonin and keep doing stuff, nothing happens.  I have to go lay down.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Ugh, random, but I need to find my occulsal guard, ASAP. I'm so tired of waking up with jaw pain and headaches. Plus, I don't need to start my Friday (which is my longest, most difficult day) off with a headache. I really need less crap. If I had less crap, there would be fewer places it could be.

I also really like the wedding album idea, Special. I haven't given any thought to how we'll tell our parents... nor should I, since I won't get pregnant for another 1 1/2 or 2 years ( hopefully.)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    angelstar975angelstar975 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Poke - Not tonight, I have to be up at 7 and tomorrow is the day I nanny for the twin babies... they are TOUGH. By 6:30 PM, I'm ready to pull all my hair out.

J - I am laying down, although probably the bright computer screen isn't helping things. I am getting a little tired though, so I'll probably give it another few minutes and then try to go to sleep.

And I want Tucker neutered, for that reason and for the fact that he might calm down a little, but FI isn't having it right now.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8614bd1a-ff61-4726-bbaf-cd017386c0a9Post:c31d02a6-acca-49d2-958f-0b38d8ea7b67">Re: Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evening : Is this to me? I agree, he doesn't need to breed him and make more puppies in a world full of homeless dogs. However, it was his plan before he started dating me and it's his dog, so I can't stop him... I can just hope to postpone it long enough that it won't ever happen. Plus, I want a teacup pig, not another dog.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

<div>Is it a purebred dog?  Does he show him in the conformation ring to verify he meets the breed standard?  What kind of qualifications does he want in his sire?  Does he realize that the first 2-3 weeks puppies need like 24/7 supervision - breeders i know use their vacation time when they have litters and sleep on the couch next to the whelping box.  They expose them to all kinds of outside stimuli, start some basic training stuff.  They take a lot of time to weed out potential puppy buyers that won't give suitable homes (I filled out a 5 page application before we got Autumn that covered everything from where we lived, what we wanted a dog for, understanding vet care, etc).  The puppies need to get at least their first round of shots from a vet and one round of de-worming, and should be microchipped before being sold.  It's bad for the puppies to be removed from their litter mates much earlier than 8 weeks - it stunts their socialization... so you are pretty much living and breathing puppies for 8 weeks.  It's not just a knock my dog up and put an ad in the paper proprosition.</div><div>
    </div><div>*stepping off my soapbox*</div>
  • Options
    I'd like to tell my mom I'm pregnant by giving her a mug or something that says "#1 Grandma" or something cheesy like that. She'd love it lol. 

• Options
    Thank you, Loops. That is everything that I wanted to say. And a reason why dogs bred out of regular ol' houses tend to end up abandoned on the side of the road or turned into shelters. 
  • Options
    Oh.. and I see now Tucker is a boy... usually you just get $$ as a stud fee, and not a puppy unless you have one of the top dogs in the breed and can command a puppy.  The owners of the female have all the power and get to do the choosing of the stud dog and often set the terms of the arrangment as well.  
  • Options
    It's cool Angel - I hope you can get enough sleep : )

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8614bd1a-ff61-4726-bbaf-cd017386c0a9Post:348d02fd-2dec-484d-a410-328b4399f905">Re: Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evening : Is it a purebred dog?  Does he show him in the conformation ring to verify he meets the breed standard?  What kind of qualifications does he want in his sire?  Does he realize that the first 2-3 weeks puppies need like 24/7 supervision - breeders i know use their vacation time when they have litters and sleep on the couch next to the whelping box.  They expose them to all kinds of outside stimuli, start some basic training stuff.  They take a lot of time to weed out potential puppy buyers that won't give suitable homes (I filled out a 5 page application before we got Autumn that covered everything from where we lived, what we wanted a dog for, understanding vet care, etc).  The puppies need to get at least their first round of shots from a vet and one round of de-worming, and should be microchipped before being sold.  It's bad for the puppies to be removed from their litter mates much earlier than 8 weeks - it stunts their socialization... so you are pretty much living and breathing puppies for 8 weeks.  It's not just a knock my dog up and put an ad in the paper proprosition. *stepping off my soapbox*
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

<div>I would like to hug you right now. Thank you.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8614bd1a-ff61-4726-bbaf-cd017386c0a9Post:348d02fd-2dec-484d-a410-328b4399f905">Re: Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evening : Is it a purebred dog?  Does he show him in the conformation ring to verify he meets the breed standard?  What kind of qualifications does he want in his sire?  Does he realize that the first 2-3 weeks puppies need like 24/7 supervision - breeders i know use their vacation time when they have litters and sleep on the couch next to the whelping box.  They expose them to all kinds of outside stimuli, start some basic training stuff.  They take a lot of time to weed out potential puppy buyers that won't give suitable homes (I filled out a 5 page application before we got Autumn that covered everything from where we lived, what we wanted a dog for, understanding vet care, etc).  The puppies need to get at least their first round of shots from a vet and one round of de-worming, and should be microchipped before being sold.  It's bad for the puppies to be removed from their litter mates much earlier than 8 weeks - it stunts their socialization... so you are pretty much living and breathing puppies for 8 weeks.  It's not just a knock my dog up and put an ad in the paper proprosition. *stepping off my soapbox*
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

Tucker's a male and FI is hoping to offer him up to someone looking to breed their female golden retreiver. Tucker is a goldendoodle. Apparenty that mix is bred sometimes, but  frankly, FI has no clue about what the process is. I'm glad to hear it's so involved, because no way will he want to go through all that.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I suppose they don't have to take care of the pups if they aren't the bitch's owner. 

The breeder we are getting Willow from is awesome. They live on this huge ass farm with tons of space and animals and are caretakers of animals for a living. The woman of the family used to be a vet tech so she knows her shiit. I felt so happy finding them. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8614bd1a-ff61-4726-bbaf-cd017386c0a9Post:73d699b5-7261-4354-9516-6b7c223025d0">Re: Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you, Loops. That is everything that I wanted to say. And a reason why dogs bred out of regular ol' houses tend to end up abandoned on the side of the road or turned into shelters. 
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah - I'm not against breeding dogs (homeless population not withstanding) but I firmly believe there is a right and a wrong way to do it.  Autumn's breeders are awesome.  She is 6 1/2 and we still talk to them at least once a year.  We see them at National Shows once in a while.  They love to hear how she is doing.  They're good people and so super supportive.  </div>
  • Options
    Guys, I completely agree with you... it's FI you should talk to, lol. I think he'd be willing to buy one of the puppies... the whole thing is that he wants one of his puppies because he loves Tucker's temperament. I doubt it will ever happen, but for now, I can't convince him to neuter him, even though I've tried showing him stuff about how it's healther for the dog to be neutered.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, there is definitely a place for breeding. I'm not against it either. But so many litters of puppies get given up to shelters when they are super young because a family thought it would be "fun" to have puppies and then realizes that holy crap, this is a ton of work. 
  • Options
    I can understand your FI wanting a similar dog. I hope he listens to you though!
  • Options
    We know you agree with us, Angel. :) I think its just a topic that gets people perked up around here, hah. I also get defensive of breeding when people think its selfish to get a breeder dog. There are reasons to buy from breeders and not shelters. I can't wait to get some rescue dogs eventually, but we have the dogs we have now for hunting purposes, when getting them as a young (purebred) puppy is essential for training. 
  • Options
    angelstar975angelstar975 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8614bd1a-ff61-4726-bbaf-cd017386c0a9Post:aad5a7ec-47b4-4dab-9bc0-4b62e5fc9f0e">Re: Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh yeah, there is definitely a place for breeding. I'm not against it either. But so many litters of puppies get given up to shelters when they are super young because a family thought it would be "fun" to have puppies and then realizes that holy crap, this is a ton of work. 

I think FI was hoping to offer Tucker to a reputable breeder who was already planning to breed their golden retriever and was looking for a goldendoodle stud. It's not something he was going to try at home. But honestly, I have NO Idea if Tucker is stud quality, or whatever. He's a great dog, but I don't know what breeders look for in a stud.

ETA - I hope he does too Poke... either that, or that Tucky just doesn't get picked. We don't need another puppy anytime soon.
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with getting dogs from reputable breeders, but all of my pets have been rescues. Poor Cooper was dropped off at the shelter when he was six weeks old, and Dooley spent the first few weeks of his life in a dumpster.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8614bd1a-ff61-4726-bbaf-cd017386c0a9Post:8f37315a-b467-4584-8a40-49885c92ee7b">Re: Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]We know you agree with us, Angel. :) I think its just a topic that gets people perked up around here, hah. I also get defensive of breeding when people think its selfish to get a breeder dog. There are reasons to buy from breeders and not shelters. I can't wait to get some rescue dogs eventually, but we have the dogs we have now for hunting purposes, when getting them as a young (purebred) puppy is essential for training. 

Our poodle is from a shelter and our belgian is from a breeder... The poodle is a very sweet dog, but she gets scared really easy and she'll bite out of fear. She never bites the family, but she'll bite guests if we don't put her in her crate when people are over. The belgian is an extremely good looking dog, he's extremely smart and he's not afraid of anything, except the poodle, oddly enough. He, however, bites out of spite, like he did to me today. He's never bitten anyone EXCEPT the family. It looks like we can't win either way, lol.
  • Options
    I'm going to go roll arond on my foam roller, then head to bed. Night, all.
  • Options
    All of our future dogs that aren't hunting dogs will be rescues for sure. Purebred puppies are the most important factor in effectively training a hunting breed to listen to one specific person on a consistent basis. 
  • Options
    All of my animals are rescues as well. Even the effing bird. I don't really like the bird >.<
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-14?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:8614bd1a-ff61-4726-bbaf-cd017386c0a9Post:336b5263-95f2-4c88-969b-703ae8b9dd0f">Re: Evening</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Evening : Our poodle is from a shelter and our belgian is from a breeder... The poodle is a very sweet dog, but she gets scared really easy and she'll bite out of fear. She never bites the family, but she'll bite guests if we don't put her in her crate when people are over. The belgian is an extremely good looking dog, he's extremely smart and he's not afraid of anything, except the poodle, oddly enough. He, however, bites out of spite, like he did to me today. He's never bitten anyone EXCEPT the family. It looks like we can't win either way, lol.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah I think it is hard to definitively peg rescues vs. purebred for intelligence or temperament. I just know that getting a puppy from a bloodline that has been trained to hunt is very important. Plus, most breeders that breed hunting dogs start training the pups right away with little bird feathers, etc. </div>
  • Options
    When we get to the point of being a multi-dog household we'll probably have a Swissy and a rescue at any given time.  We just love the breed we got.  They were bred for working/hiking/packing/drafting so it fits right in with what we do with her.  And they're very social and good with kids and have a great temperment which was a big deal to us too.

Well, on that note.. I'm heading for bed.  Good night!
  • Options
    Plus, they are darn cute, Loops. :) Good night! 
  • Options
    Goodnight Loopy!
  • Options
    Night, Loopy.

Poke, I don't like birds in general, they kind of creep me out if I'm too close to them.

Musu, that definitely makes sense. We're not hunters, so we'd never need a purebred from a breeder for that reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards