Wedding Etiquette Forum

2-Month Old Shih tzu Ate an M&M

Should I be worried?  What should I do?


Re: 2-Month Old Shih tzu Ate an M&M

  • I wouldn't be worried if it was just one.  You could call the vet's office though and ask just to be sure. 

    I'm pretty sure my parent's dog has gotten into chocolate by accident over the years and been fine.  I think it has to be a lot to really make them sick.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

    The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

    Toxic Levels

    The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

    On average,
    Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
    Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
    Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

    Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
    1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
    1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
    1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

    So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

    Clinical Signs

    Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

    Hyper excitability
    Hyper irritability
    Increased heart rate
    Increased urination
    Muscle tremors


    There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

    Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

    If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.
  • Just one? You are fine if it's just one. My sheltie puppy (the original years ago) ate like 20 chocolate chips. She only threw up a little. My brother told me it was poison and she would die, she did not. The stomach just  can't digest it properly, so just don't be surprised if she throws it up/has runny poo
  • I dont think 1 M&M is going to kill it. I have heard that it is dark chocolate that is the most "poisonous" to dogs. I would keep an eye on him, keep him hydrated and if he starts acting funny or lethargic or throwing up, call the vet. Or call the vet now and ask.
  • Should be fine with just one.  i called the vet after my cat ate a 1/4 scoop of rocky road ice cream and she said a little can cause bowel issues but nothing life threatening for such a very small amount.
  • When I was a kid, before I knew chocolate was bad for dogs, I let one of my parents dauschunds (sp?) eat some chocolate frosting. He was fine. I think it's only harmful with like mass amounts of chocolate.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Our 40 pound dog ate an entire box of chocolates one time and was fine.
  • Your dog is only two months old, Expat?
  • In Response to <a href="">Re: 2-Month Old Shih tzu Ate an M&M</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your dog is only two months old, Expat?
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]

    <div>No, we're babysitting one that Santa's bringing to a family for Christmas.  I'll post a pic in a minute.  She's very cute, but mischievous!</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the responses, everyone!  You've put my mind at ease :)</div>
  • Our dog got into the pantry months ago and every once in a while shows up with an empty pudding cup. We have no idea where he's hidden them. We don't know if he's got a whole stash of pudding cups somewhere and he's rationing them out, or if he ate six pudding cups one day and brings out empty cups to play with once in a while. We have NO IDEA where he hid them or if he even has more, and we have torn this house APART.

    We do know, however, that he isn't dead. And that he's probably smarter than we are. Which is way more disturbing than the fact that he ate some pudding.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards