Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How do we feel about this?

124»

Re: How do we feel about this?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_feel-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a99cf7fa-be13-4975-be3a-33b34025cff3Post:6f34b18e-b24a-47c0-82ff-f985ae5fd10f">Re: How do we feel about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do we feel about this? : The TSA agent actually broke the seal around the opening near the stomach. But I don't think that makes it any better (this was just for clarification that his family jewels were not groped like that) because he told the agent what it was several times and asked him to be careful. That should not have happened.
    Posted by waltzingmatilda13[/QUOTE]

Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying. I'm still so angry for him.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_feel-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a99cf7fa-be13-4975-be3a-33b34025cff3Post:a18366d1-8c92-4cac-a0a2-b4927746afb6">Re: How do we feel about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do we feel about this? : Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying. I'm still so angry for him.
    Posted by opalsky007[/QUOTE]\

Me, too. He explained the situation and showed them what it was and they still didn't  listen.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_feel-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a99cf7fa-be13-4975-be3a-33b34025cff3Post:e94599e3-ba5a-43fb-8301-14e5ddc60071">Re: How do we feel about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do we feel about this? : but its not the government doing it.  You know? <strong> people choose to fly and that is part of the choice.</strong>  I do agree that terrorists will get around whatever we do (or try to) but I feel like its a chess match and we need to make some big moves to say that we are serious. 
    Posted by andy71781[/QUOTE]

Right, it's really easy to just get on a boat if you want to go to, say, Greece or Turkey or Brazil or China.

And what about people with conservative religious views? The TSA has said they should just "not fly" if they're orthodox Jewish or fundamentalist muslim or very conservative Christian (like the Duggars).

Re: Israeli airport security. They have very few flights and very few airports. And they use a lot of racial profiling, so it's not really applicable to the US.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I think both of the measures get even dicier when you throw in kids/minors to be subjected to both the scan and the pat down. When I was 17 I was separated from my parents (who were ordered to get on the plane or be arrested) so that they could do a pat down search because my boots had metal in the heels and set off an alarm. Hellooo legal issues!

I don't fly often, so I will definitely defer to the people who do, but I think I'd rather have pictures out there than pat downs. However it does get interesting when you start dealing with small children, sick people, or pregnant women who may be more damaged by even minor radiation than a healthy adult would be.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_feel-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a99cf7fa-be13-4975-be3a-33b34025cff3Post:6eabfb12-6a83-4d52-a504-97b428cd345b">Re: How do we feel about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do we feel about this? : Right, it's really easy to just get on a boat if you want to go to, say, Greece or Turkey or Brazil or China. And what about people with conservative religious views? The TSA has said they should just "not fly" if they're orthodox Jewish or fundamentalist muslim or very conservative Christian (like the Duggars). <strong>Re: Israeli airport security. They have very few flights and very few airports. And they use a lot of racial profiling, so it's not really applicable to the US.
    </strong>Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I think you're the first person to mention this.
  • Options
    I know that they do, but at the same time- the system they use works.  I'm not saying using even more racial profiling or anything like that, I'm making a point that there's a lot of training that goes on with the men and women who guard the airports and we should do the same in the US.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_feel-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a99cf7fa-be13-4975-be3a-33b34025cff3Post:6cb1a900-9760-4ded-8af4-9256250a0a2c">Re: How do we feel about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do we feel about this? : No, but some of the scanners are different. In Canada, they use milimeter wave technology, which doesn't give off radiation.<strong> I'm also not sure EVERY passenger gets scanned/patted down in other countries.</strong>
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]
    You only get the pat down if you set off the alarm.  The worst pat down I've ever had was in the UK, leaving London.  Even the guy a few people behind me said it seemed like she enjoyed it too much.  Those alarms have to be really sensitive because I had taken everything off.  It was set off by my underwire and the buttons on my jeans.  True story.

But they don't have the scanners anywhere that I've been.
  • Options
    I don't have time to read pages 2-3 (Bee's napping) so this may have already been answered.  I was under the impression that the scanning doesn't show body cavities?  If that's the case, then they're aren't going to do much good for finding a butt-bomber.

We're flying this spring with Baby Bee.  God help the agent who lays a hand on my daughter.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    I have no problem with the scanners or the pat downs (I have been patted down more than once, where I had metal, I will never know). 

All I know is last year it sucked for Mark's parents because of the "underwear bomber."  This is a response to that.  As someone said, it's a chess game.  They make a move and then we make a move.

Also, I used to work at a night club where we patted down everyone.  I didn't grab your boobs, but I did have to check between them and under them.  Ahhhhh, the heady days of the late 80's and early 90's, you didn't fear flying on a plane, but you did fear getting shanked at the local night club....
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards