Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

where to seat DJ and photographer?

I am having a buffet self serve wedding with assigned seating, should i have the DJ and photographer at a table that will be served first or should i have them served towards the end?

Re: where to seat DJ and photographer?

• Options
    I would have them both at the end, because yeah, you definitely need to feed them, but you don't feed the "help" before your guests.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-to-seat-dj-and-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa57cb9b-9edd-41f1-b30b-0f6f7d1febccPost:38131100-3078-44c7-b0e0-f7d92af6a9ce">Re: where to seat DJ and photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would have them both at the end, because yeah, you definitely need to feed them, but<strong> you don't feed the "help" before your guests.</strong>
    Posted by seesawgirl[/QUOTE]

<div>Wow. </div><div>
    </div><div>I would actually have them go first - especially the photographer. He/she can eat and be ready to take pictures. </div>
  • Options
    coopsbabycoopsbaby member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    I was going to say first too. That way they'll be ready to go when everyone else is done eating. I'd probably ask what they prefer

ETA- Just had another thought. I'd put the photographer where they have a good view of things, not back in the corner, kwim? At my first wedding we missed pictures of the kissing from clinking glasses because the photographer was in the back too far.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Your venue will set up a Vendor Table at the back of the room or off to the side, and your venue will serve the vendors a prepared plate of food so that these people can eat when they get a break in the action - and then go back to work.

The vendors do not go stand in line with your guests and go through the buffet with your guests, and they do not go to the open bar with your guests, etc.  These vendors are working your event, and they need to have the food available to them at a place and time that makes sense - not standing in line, etc.
  • Options
    Don't you think it would be rude to your family and friends to say "hold on, aunt Martha, I know you just dropped X amount of dollars on coming to my wedding, and spent however much on a gift, and were awesome to me when I was a teenager , but let these hired strangers eat first." ? It's not about them being "the help" it's about them being hired strangers. They are not your guests, they are already being paid for their services. Yes, they should get to eat, but, you shouldnt make your guests wait while the vendors get fed, in my opinion. Of course, I am coming from a church background where the pastors and deacons always were allowed to eat first, followed by the elderly. It's a sign of respect in my circle, so if that isn't the case with your family and friends, do whatever works logistically for you. I would suggest thinking back to your family and church get togethers that you have attended, or asking an older member of the family, and take your cue from there.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-to-seat-dj-and-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa57cb9b-9edd-41f1-b30b-0f6f7d1febccPost:71e70367-5142-441d-ab8c-84ef1f074de8">Re: where to seat DJ and photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your venue will set up a Vendor Table at the back of the room or off to the side, and your venue will serve the vendors a prepared plate of food so that these people can eat when they get a break in the action - and then go back to work. The vendors do not go stand in line with your guests and go through the buffet with your guests, and they do not go to the open bar with your guests, etc.  These vendors are working your event, and they need to have the food available to them at a place and time that makes sense - not standing in line, etc.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Yes, this, exactly.
  • Options
    bongebonge member
    First Comment
    I am going to have mine first, right after us. This way the photog can take pics & the band can do what they need to do (ipod for dinner music) to make sure everything is taken care of. 

Not all vendors will do that kristin. We do not have caterers, just servers at the buffet lines so that advice would not work for all. 
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
  • Options
    Your vendors should eat before the reception, or be able to get a quick bite in when it's a slow time for them.   If I was a guest and spent a great deal of time and money coming to your wedding and the vendors got to be first through the buffet, yes that would upset me. 
  • Options
    Reception venues and big halls that regularly host weddings, receptions, charity galas, etc. offer in their contract a regular price for the regular guests, and another price, usually 50%, for vendor meals.  And, even if the regular guests will be going through a buffet line, the vendor plates are prepared in the kitchen and delivered onto a table in the back or a table in an adjacent room, etc.

If you are not having your reception in a venue that regularly hosts weddings and charity dinners, etc., then of course you would have a different situation as Bonge points out.  If, for example, you are having someone from your family pick up the food and deliver it to the reception venue, and then you are having servers along the buffet to put the food from the bins onto the guests' plates, then you would reserve the vendor meals from the food service people.  Then your family member would pick up the big trays of food for the guests buffet tables, and seven (or however many) vendor meals already plated.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-to-seat-dj-and-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa57cb9b-9edd-41f1-b30b-0f6f7d1febccPost:c71d933b-275d-49dc-9b3a-a03a153d4a00">Re: where to seat DJ and photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your vendors should eat before the reception, or be able to get a quick bite in when it's a slow time for them.   If I was a guest and spent a great deal of time and money coming to your wedding and the vendors got to be first through the buffet, yes that would upset me. 
    Posted by Cortney1982[/QUOTE]

We're normally talking about a half-dozen vendors at the most, right?    I don't see how waiting until after 5 or so people go through the buffet line is going to be enough to complain about.

Although I agree with Kristin that it would be ideal to serve the vendors a plated meal to make it easier for them.

As to where to seat them, again, whatever's easier for them.  They may prefer a table separate from the guests, or they may prefer something close by to make it easier for them to talk to you and take pictures.

SaveSave
  • Options
    Okay, I have a followup question for this post. We are having a plated meal, and I did include our vendors (3) in the catering numbers. Am I supposed to seat them at tables intermixed with the guests, or have the caterers or someone set up a table in the back? To complicate things, the photographer (while a very very highly rated professional) is also a family friend. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-to-seat-dj-and-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa57cb9b-9edd-41f1-b30b-0f6f7d1febccPost:96cdb895-33f8-4ff4-baf1-9f40f981cd7c">Re: where to seat DJ and photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't you think it would be rude to your family and friends to say "hold on, aunt Martha, I know you just dropped X amount of dollars on coming to my wedding, and spent however much on a gift, and were awesome to me when I was a teenager , but let these hired strangers eat first." ? It's not about them being "the help" it's about them being hired strangers. They are not your guests, they are already being paid for their services. <strong>Yes, they should get to eat, but, you shouldnt make your guests wait while the vendors get fed, in my opinion.</strong> Of course, I am coming from a church background where the pastors and deacons always were allowed to eat first, followed by the elderly. It's a sign of respect in my circle, so if that isn't the case with your family and friends, do whatever works logistically for you. I would suggest thinking back to your family and church get togethers that you have attended, or asking an older member of the family, and take your cue from there.
    Posted by seesawgirl[/QUOTE]

<div>Because waiting an extra 5(ish) minutes or so in line is really going to push these hungry guests over the edge. In my circle, when doing a buffet and waiting in line for a meal you don't actually wait for the person in front of you to eat their entire meal before you're allowed to grab some. Generally, the way we do it is everyone stands in line for food and goes to their table once they have their food. They then start eating once they reach their table, while the line continues to flow and people continue to receive food. </div><div>
    </div><div>Could be different where you're from though, I guess. </div>
  • Options
    >>I did include our vendors (3) in the catering numbers. Am I supposed to seat them at tables intermixed with the guests, or have the caterers or someone set up a table in the back? To complicate things, the photographer (while a very very highly rated professional) is also a family friend.

Totally your choice.
    At every wedding I've been to as a guest, the vendors have had a separate table in the back.
    At my own wedding, I sat the vendors at regular tables with the guests.

For example, if you are having recorded music during dinner (we did), then your music vendor person can eat a regular meal with the regular guests, and then kick up your dance music after everyone is done with dinner.
  • Options
    Ask the coordinator at your venue what they usually do for wedding vendors. Ours doesn't charge us for feeding them and he serves them at the same time we get served. (We're having a family styile sit down dinner). All of my vendors have worked at my venue before and all have assured me not to worry about it since they know my coordinator and know how it works for dinner. They will get fed and there will be no disruption in the night. I realize that might be different if you are doing a buffet, but your venue might have something similar for the vendors.

When it comes to seating, I'm also letting that up to the coordinator. He apparently has that all worked out ahead of time and has never had a problem with where he seats them. I personally don't care where they sit, as long as they are fed, comfortable, and able to do their job!
  • Options
    I was just at a buffet style reception this weekend and the vendors went first. The DJ had actually gone through right after they finished the set up and had his plate at his booth to run the music through dinner. After they announced that the buffet was open the photographers went right behind the bride, groom, and their immediate families (basically the whole "head table"). I was right behind them, and it didn't take that much longer for me to get food. I was not offended, nor do I think anyone else was. The photogs ate at one of the cocktail tables in the bar area, and they were up and around the dinner area long before the toasts and such. 

Of course, this was a really small reception, like 40 people, so we weren't assigned seating or called by table to go to the buffet, it was just "the buffet is now open." 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-to-seat-dj-and-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa57cb9b-9edd-41f1-b30b-0f6f7d1febccPost:4df99af7-2ee3-4872-8b4e-2335c7eec58b">Re: where to seat DJ and photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I have a followup question for this post. We are having a plated meal, and I did include our vendors (3) in the catering numbers. Am I supposed to seat them at tables intermixed with the guests, or have the caterers or someone set up a table in the back? To complicate things, the photographer (while a very very highly rated professional) is also a family friend. 
    Posted by angryangry[/QUOTE]

i have mine intermingled.  for example, the bartender is seated at the table right next to the bar.  Even if he doesn't sit there, he can at least see where his food is.

DJ is by the dance floor.

Photographer is actually at the same table as my parents.  That way she's got a spot to sneak in and take pictures of the kings tables without standing up and blocking everyone else.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't see your followup question at first, sorry.

Our photographer is my FI's cousin. She's a professional and is the top photo journalist for our local paper and she also has a freelance business on the side.

Since she is family, we are going to seat her at a family table. We already discussed this with her and she's happy about it. As she pointed out, most people are not fond of having their picture taken while they eat.

If yours is a family friend, I would seat them at a table with other family friends and/or people they know. Again, most photographers I've seen don't take pictures during dinner.

I emailed the dj just to double check about his seating and meal and he confirmed that our venue serves vendors meals at gratis. He also said that the venue sets up a small table for him and his assistant as well as whatever other vendors are there. It's next to the dj booth so he can play dinner music. He also said depending on the format of the reception, sometimes the vendors are fed before the reception begins. Check with your venue on how they handle this.
  • Options
    rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-to-seat-dj-and-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa57cb9b-9edd-41f1-b30b-0f6f7d1febccPost:71e70367-5142-441d-ab8c-84ef1f074de8">Re: where to seat DJ and photographer?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your venue will set up a Vendor Table at the back of the room or off to the side, and your venue will serve the vendors a prepared plate of food so that these people can eat when they get a break in the action - and then go back to work. The vendors do not go stand in line with your guests and go through the buffet with your guests, and they do not go to the open bar with your guests, etc.  These vendors are working your event, and they need to have the food available to them at a place and time that makes sense - not standing in line, etc.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]
    Yep, yep.<div>
    </div><div>This is a question for your venue. You shouldn't have to 'seat' your vendors. Your venue should have a separate area where they all will sit to eat. Perhaps inside of the room, or perhaps not. Mine were setup in the lounge right outside of the room. We also had buffet with 4 stations. After all of the guests went, then the vendors went through when they wanted. They had plenty of time to eat & get back before the dancing started again because there really isn't much going on or worth photographing while people are eating. The DJ just had 3-4 songs set up in his computer to play while he was eating. Don't overthink it.</div>
  • Options
    bongebonge member
    First Comment
    I would talk to the venue about the price for vendor meals. 

Also find out where they want to be seated. Ask your vendors. Our head table is at the back wall on the dance floor, to the right of the stage. Our photog requested to be close enough to shoot without getting in people's way. Our band needs a place to go when on break, so it just made sense to put them at the table closest to the stage. The band will be able to see their stuff & the photog has a clear line of vision to us. 
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards