Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Handwritten or printed labels?

Hey, I think I read somewhere that it is proper etiquette to hand write on the invitation envelopes...is that true?
Is it poor etiquette to print labels?
I feel like I've always received invitations with printed labels...

Re: Handwritten or printed labels?

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Yep, proper etiquette is handwriting.  It shows the special nature of the event, and the formality.

Think of it this way: you receive lables on your everyday mail right?  Ho hum, boring, move along.... zzzzzz

But hand written?  "Wow, this is something special! and elegant"
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options

My DD, designed printed labels for the outer envelope then hand wrote the names on the inner envelope on the same shaped empty label

• Options
    Handwriting is always proper.

I won't go so far as to say that labeling is rude, but it does suggest a less serious attitude towards the invitation on your part-and it puts the invitation at higher risk of being ignored and/or treated as junk mail, as Liatris suggests above.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Thanks ladies!

I will be handwriting them - I agree that it looks more special...and it also goes with my "rustic vintage" theme!

• Options
    Ditto Stage on the "victimless crime." While it is considered proper etiquette to handwrite the addresses, that was the one no-no we committed. I printed the addresses directly on the envelopes, using the same font I used on the invitations. Got many compliments on them, too.
  • Options
    I thought about using the printer, but honestly it was much easier to just write out 50 addresses than it would have been to format them correctly and run 50 invitations though the printer.   I think it took maybe an hour and a half?   Not a big deal to me.   

I think running them through the printer looks better than lables.  If you do lables, use clear ones.   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_handwritten-or-printed-labels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adf17b73-cae9-477d-a85d-ef7b075cfcb9Post:c98d756c-5baa-4031-9de2-64723f0b6a87">Re: Handwritten or printed labels?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep, proper etiquette is handwriting.  It shows the special nature of the event, and the formality. Think of it this way: you receive lables on your everyday mail right?  Ho hum, boring, move along.... zzzzzz But hand written?  "Wow, this is something special! and elegant"
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

My handwriting is NOT elegant by any means. We did printed labels in a fancy script font. It was fine. It's way better than both of our handwritings anyway so I am glad we did.

If you have nice handwriitng go for it. Otherwise I say nothing wrong with printed labels.

I don't care which one I receive either. It doesn't make me feel any more or less special to receive a label one way or the other- it's what inside that matters anyhow.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think printing is fine. No one can read my handwriting and I wasn't about to force the job on anyone else. I ran them through the printer and they look fine. I don't think what I did was incorrect.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_handwritten-or-printed-labels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adf17b73-cae9-477d-a85d-ef7b075cfcb9Post:2b3386c7-755c-48cf-96b4-b90163989864">Re: Handwritten or printed labels?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think printing is fine. No one can read my handwriting and I wasn't about to force the job on anyone else. I ran them through the printer and they look fine. I don't think what I did was incorrect.
    Posted by SmallenForever[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I don't either. My handwriting is so bad I actually did my guests a favour by printing ours haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How required is calligraphy? did people just write using fancy handwriting or did you do calligraphy?
  • Options
    I personally didn't handwrite our invitation envelopes.  I did with our STDs, but they were on postcards.  I actually ran the envelopes through the printer with an elegant font and they turned out nicely.  They actually did save me time from writing because I set up a mail merger in excel.  I thought about using a calligraphy pen and doing it myself, but I'm glad I didn't.  I agree that the envelopes are in the trash right away.  I do agree that labels look a little more messy to me.  If you are going to print, do it right on the envelope.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards