Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

First dance song

What was yours? When I pictured my first dance long before getting married was even a possibility, I always wanted it to be Etta James' "At Last." Which is now so overdone that I almost can't stand it, so I'm shopping for a new one.
Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince

Re: First dance song

• Options
    "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys.

And then our drunk DJ decided he didn't like that song, so he made us do another "first dance" about half an hour later to "Amazed" by Lonestar.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    "Faithfully" by Journey

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-dance-song-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b7c6bc9e-e506-47d7-b325-b4f21e1e871fPost:9186c424-ba2a-4779-8dfd-e25818b014b3">Re: First dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]Probably not your taste, but we'll be dancing to Brad Paisley's "Two People Fell in Love". One that will probably be quite popular in the next few years is Zac Brown Band's "Free", which is partially a new song, but mostly a remake of <strong>"Into The Mystic". </strong>The last wedding we went to, the couple danced to a Collective Soul song, but I can't think of what it was right now.
    Posted by mrs.jesse[/QUOTE]
    That ticks me off. The original of that songs shouldn't be messed with. And it's what I'm dancing with my dad to :)
  • Options
    "leather and lace" stevie nicks & don henley
  • Options
    ohwhynotohwhynot member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Lovin' Spoonful's "Darling, Be Home Soon."  I don't think many younger people will know it, but fi and I just love it.  It suits us, I guess. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXjzOpz4Cyw

ETA:  LC, you're dancing with your dad to Into the Mystic?  That's one of fi's favorite songs!
  • Options
    We will most likely be dancing to "When God Made You" by Newsong.
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    "Our song" if you can call it that isn't really the right fit for a first dance (the second verse is about breaking up), so I've also thought about Death Cab for Cutie's "I will follow you into the dark"

I wonder if some of our more religious family might not like the choice, but I figure they probably won't enjoy our completely secular ceremony then either.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-dance-song-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b7c6bc9e-e506-47d7-b325-b4f21e1e871fPost:5045197b-588a-4c4e-ad63-0dc852f42a6c">Re: First dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE] ETA:  LC, you're dancing with your dad to Into the Mystic?  That's one of fi's favorite songs!
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]
    I certainly am. It's one of my favorites too. It's always reminded me of my dad, because he's a boat captain and I think of him any time I hear the word "sail."
  • Options
    Either:

Your Song - Elton John or Angel Eyes - Jeff Healey 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm leaving work and going to the gym. I'll check back later. Thanks so far!
  • Options

We aren't sure, but these are the front runners
    "Do you Realize?"- Flaming Lips
    "Just Like Starting Over"- Flaming Lips
    "Some kind of wonderful"- Grand Funk Railroad
    "All I want is You"- U2
    "Bright Side of the Road" Van Morrison

If FI had any rhythm at all, it would be "Whenever, Wherever" - Shakira.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Our first dance was "So High" by John Legend.

I wish we'd danced to "Got It Right This Time" by Keith Urban because my H played the song for me early on in our relationship and said he always dreamed of his future wife when he listened to it (before we met, obviously). It was an option, but I wanted something different for some reason when I was a crazy bridezombie.

I wish I'd secretly told our DJ to change it, but I cried enough as it is, so it's probably better that I didn't (in the ugly cry face dept.)
  • Options
    "Then" by Brad Paisley
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    we're still arguing between "Close to you" by The Carpenters or "Have I told You Lately" by Van Morrison

it will be one of those two.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    These Arms of Mine by Otis Redding...we got engaged to this song
    BFP#1 10/30/2011,MC 12/4/2011 9w2d,BFP#2 3/6/2012,m/c 4/18/2012 9w1d D&E 4/18/2012 BFP#3 8/12/2012 EDD 4/25/2013 Stick baby!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We will probably dance our first dance to Satisfy My Soul or Is This Love by Bob Marley.

• Options
    "Something" The Beatles

Our last dance, I wish was our first dance.  It was hands down my favorite part of the reception.  M. Ward's "I ain't never had nobody like you".  Listen to it asap.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Love You Till the End - The Pogues
  • Options
    "Unforgettable" by Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole
  • Options
    We don't have one yet but we're throwing around a couple possibilities. 

"Proof" by Coldplay
    "Faithfully" or "Open Arms" by Journey
    "When you say nothing at all" by Allison Krause (it was one of our songs in high school... but I hate it now.  My fiance still loves it).

I tease him that we should dance to Prince's "Purple Rain" since it was a song we danced to while incredibly drunk on one of his first trips back home with me when we got back together a couple years ago.

Our very first song we EVER danced to, in 7th grade was "It's all coming back to me now" by Celine Dion.  Woof.

I have no idea what I want to dance to either. 
    panther
  • Options
    I think another great song is You Are the Best Thing - Ray LaMontagne
  • Options
    Ours was Grow Old With you from the Wedding Singer
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-dance-song-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b7c6bc9e-e506-47d7-b325-b4f21e1e871fPost:d38e47a0-e163-4ace-b316-6221f77f5ad0">Re: First dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Our song" if you can call it that isn't really the right fit for a first dance (the second verse is about breaking up), so I've also thought about Death Cab for Cutie's "I will follow you into the dark" I wonder if some of our more religious family might not like the choice, but I figure they probably won't enjoy our completely secular ceremony then either.
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

I love that song!  However, I find the words incredibly depressing and sometimes I jsut start crying when I'm singing along. 
  • Options
    Tangled up in you - Staind

We tossed around a few others:
    Is this love - Bob marley (we ended up using this as our last dance song)
    Stand by me - Ben E King
    Love Song - 311
    6.6.12 | 7 lbs 9 oz | 20 inches
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-dance-song-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b7c6bc9e-e506-47d7-b325-b4f21e1e871fPost:860a357d-5058-48d7-a97b-89c1fc3cae33">Re: First dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]We don't have one yet but we're throwing around a couple possibilities.  "Proof" by Coldplay "Faithfully" or "Open Arms" by Journey "When you say nothing at all" by Allison Krause (it was one of our songs in high school... but I hate it now.  My fiance still loves it). I tease him that we should dance to Prince's "Purple Rain" since it was a song we danced to while incredibly drunk on one of his first trips back home with me when we got back together a couple years ago. Our very first song we EVER danced to, in 7th grade was "It's all coming back to me now" by Celine Dion.  Woof. I have no idea what I want to dance to either. 
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

FI doesnt dance. Technically our first dance was to "Back that Azz Up".. the Juvie classic, in a club in New Orleans, while he took a test tube shot from between the breasts of a bartender. I'm hoping he doesn't want to recreate that for the wedding.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

"Ring of FIre" - Johnny Cash. 
    Just kidding.  But I attended a wedding where this was prominently played.

We didn't dance, but I would have done "True Companion" - Marc Cohn if we had.

imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Far Away by Nickle Back - it's a little of the beaten path but it's the first song we ever danced to - I love this song! 
  • Options

When You Say Nothing at All- The Ronan Keating version, but the Alison Krauss version is also really good.

• Options
    Rainy Night in Soho by Damien Dempsey
  • Options
    She's No Lady - Lyle Lovett is the one holding the top spot at the moment. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o3m1FwhusY if you don't know it )

Book of Love, done by Peter Gabriel is also an option, except it's too long for my comfort.

I love some of the stuff people have listed - Angel Eyes by Jeff Healy is so adorable, so is I Will Follow You Into The Dark.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards