Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

First dance song

2»

Re: First dance song

• Options
    I want "God Only Knows," but FI isn't a fan. We're debating between Mazzy Star's "Fade Into You" and the Cat Power version of "Sea of Love" (from Juno).
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    "Wonder of You" by Elvis Presley. I actually found it not too long before the wedding and it was perfect for us!
  • Options
    Well I let him pick and he surprised me but it was "At Last" by Etta James.

But we made a wedding Ipod with all our favorites.
    Always and Forever by Heatwave (our first dance)
    The book of love- Peter Gabriel
    God Only knows-Beachboys
     Is this love-Bob Marley
    He went to Paris- Jimmy Buffett
    On a Beach in Hawaii -Ziggy Marley

The list goes on.Good luck.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I thought about doing Never Tear Us Apart by INXS
  • Options
    Lots of great suggestions here. Andress, I love me some Stevie Nicks. I love Van Morrison too, but my dad isn't a fan. Whatever, it's my wedding, I do what I want!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-dance-song-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b7c6bc9e-e506-47d7-b325-b4f21e1e871fPost:08a235bb-6681-49fe-b751-fccc9bb119bf">Re: First dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]She's No Lady - Lyle Lovett is the one holding the top spot at the moment. ( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o3m1FwhusY" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o3m1FwhusY</a> if you don't know it ) Book of Love, done by Peter Gabriel is also an option, except it's too long for my comfort. I love some of the stuff people have listed - A<strong>ngel Eyes by Jeff Healy is so adorable,</strong> so is I Will Follow You Into The Dark.
    Posted by temerityjane[/QUOTE]

<div>I know, I do love it, and this is what fiance wants, but I'm wondering if it's too one-sided and almost egotistical on my part. Will guests be rolling their eyes at the lyrics, or am I over-thinking it, and should I just use the song FI loves? (sorry for the mini thread hi-jack)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    "Georgia On My Mind," by Ray Charles.  FI used to sing this when we first started dating and he replaced my name with "Georgia." :)

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We couldn't make our minds up til the week of.

Wanna Make a Memory - Bon Jovi (my mom loved him, so we thought it'd be a cool way to honour her without having a memory table or something)
    Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol (acoustic)

We went with Lovely Tonight by Joshua Radin

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    John Lennon's "My Life"
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Hysteric"
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    Aww I think it's really cute that so many people like "Your Song"  My parents met because of that song.  My dad was playing it in his dorm room and my mom knocked on the door because she really liked it.  Although it came out later that she was secretly hoping it was my dad's roommate in the room since she thought he was cute!

I plan on using Your Song for the anniversary song (so they can dance with each other to their song.)

FI and I will dance to "All My Life" by Kci and JoJo
  • Options
    Arbolita- I have been loving that song lately. I love the Pogues
  • Options
    Mrs_AFMrs_AF member
    First Comment
    Your Call by Secondhand Serenade. It was a perfect description of our LDR, and we both loved the band.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody! "Let's Stay Together" (Al Green) came on my iPod on shuffle while I was working out and I had a little lightbulb moment I think.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Night and Day - The Temptations
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-dance-song-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b7c6bc9e-e506-47d7-b325-b4f21e1e871fPost:1bdfaaa9-7a01-4451-9d55-603f96ce82c6">Re: First dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: First dance song : That ticks me off. The original of that songs shouldn't be messed with. And it's what I'm dancing with my dad to :)
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

That's why I hated Rascal Flatts for the longest time....their remake of Broken Road is nowhere near as good as Melodie Crittenden's original.

We'll be dancing to Chantal Kreviazuk's "Feels Like Home"

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    Stellar by Incubus
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    "So Close" by Jon McLaughlin

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-dance-song-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b7c6bc9e-e506-47d7-b325-b4f21e1e871fPost:1596b8fc-9d1a-4ca2-b162-7400ebe91408">Re: First dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]"Wonder of You" by Elvis Presley. I actually found it not too long before the wedding and it was perfect for us!
    Posted by JMN2010[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I just youtubed that and I love it. FI is a big ole elvis fan (I told him he could even grow his burns out for the wedding) and we were thinking about Can't Help Falling in Love but I think I might like this song more :)</div>
  • Options
    And I love love love "God Only Knows" but it just makes me think of Big Love which I guess fits in with the marriage theme of a wedding. 
  • Options
    I love threads like this; I love to see what everyone chooses and google the lyrics for the ones I'm not familiar with.  So many good ones here.

This is a tough subject for me, actually.  I lost my hearing in 2002, and though I now have a cochlear implant and do just fine talking and hearing people and understanding music I knew before, new music on the radio is all but lost to me.  I met D in 2007, and music is not something we ever shared because of my hearing loss, so we don't have any songs that we consider "ours."  I have some ideas for songs to dance to - top among them, By Your Side, by Sade, or If I Should Fall Behind, but Bruce Springsteen - but I might just let D pick whatever he wants.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Look After You by the Fray
  • Options

The way you look tonight, cover by Maroon 5. 

• Options
    She's Everything - Brad Paisley
  • Options

This has been on my mind this week as well.  We decided to do "Earth Angel" followed by "Johnny B Goode" as a tribute to our favorite movie, Back to the Future, and as a way to get our guests up on the dance floor after the dance. 

Talking with our band yesterday he says he can't learn Earth Angel in 3 weeks in time for the wedding.  WTF, its only 4 chords. 

So, now we're back to square one.  He suggested "You are the best thing" by Ray Lamontagne, which is a beautiful song, but doesn't have meaning to us. 

I am SOOOO excited for our father/daughter dance, though.  It's to "These Three Words" by Stevie Wonder.  Please look up the lyrics, it is the sweetest song, and I've wanted to have it as part of my wedding since I was a little girl.  Definitely going to go into the ugly cry when I hear it!

• Options
    ours will be landing in london by 3 doors down.. my fiance chose it, and i agreed because i love that song..

it's about long-distance love but we don't care, the point is we both love it and we'll enjoy dancing to it

and i've never heard it as a first dance song
  • Options
    This has been the hardest part of wedding planning for us!!! We got engaged to Never Gonna be Alone by Nickelback, so I don't want that as our first dance.
    We have a couple options:
    Falling Slowly - American Idol version w/Lee & Crystal
    Come What May - from Moulin Rouge
    In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel

We just need to choose one. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards