Wedding Etiquette Forum

More than one Maid of Honor - Who is the Witness?

I have 3 sisters and 2 of them would have their feelings hurt if I picked the other one as my maid of honor.  So I made all of them Maids of honor.  As far as standing order, I can easily work that to say I want to do it by age or whatever, but I think the other main thing the Maid does is sign as the witness on the marraige certificate, right?  I am trying to figure out of that is the only other main issue I will have or are there others?  As far as planning the bachelorette party and stuff, thats a non issue as a friend will do it and my sisters are fine with that.  And I will let each of them toast if they want - I will make them keep it short but I am OK with that as well.

Re: More than one Maid of Honor - Who is the Witness?

• I don't think who is a witness is a big deal. Just draw names or whatever, unless someone is very vocal and wants to do it, and the other one(s) don't care. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Rock, paper, scissors
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_one-maid-of-honor-witness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c00bf700-7beb-416f-85ee-eb53f3a33581Post:1aaf9278-c8b2-4e2e-8245-0e76ef321d80">Re: More than one Maid of Honor - Who is the Witness?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rock, paper, scissors
    Posted by kcscejal[/QUOTE]

Lizard spock.
  • I don't remember this whole witness thing at my wedding. I also had 2 MOHs so I'm sure they worked it out on their own.
  • Our officiant filled out his portion of the marriage license before the ceremony, and then I didn't see the license again until we got to our room after the reception. My MOH and H's best man were already gone, but there were two of our other friends in the room at the time, so they witnessed it. Honestly, I don't think it's that big a deal. If one of your MOHs is going to get bent out of shape about her signature on a document, then she's got bigger problems than that.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • ...I have absolutely no idea who "witnessed" our wedding...huh...I should probably know that. I wonder if MOH did and I had no idea lol
  • You  might not even need one. If you do, you might consider splitting the things that a MOH traditionally does between all 3. OR just ask the oldest.

My sister was my MOH, but also my officiant, so I asked the other three BMs to do the "traditional" MOH things: 1 gave a toast, 1 stood next to me during the ceremony, and I asked the third to sign the license as witness. But turned out there was no spot for a witness on the license in my state.
  • Whoever has the best handwriting, I guess...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maybe you can all just work it out now so you each take turns being the witness for each other's weddings.  ie; A is witness for B, B for C, C for D, and D for A.
    Anniversary
  • It doesn't really matter, unless you are getting married in a church, in which case, church rules might dictate who signs.  In my church, it was recommended that the documents be signed by married Catholic people, so we had BIL and SIL sign it as none of the BMs/MOHs were Catholic.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_one-maid-of-honor-witness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c00bf700-7beb-416f-85ee-eb53f3a33581Post:d5980936-db70-411e-87f7-677ece2c92a9">Re: More than one Maid of Honor - Who is the Witness?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You  might not even need one. If you do, you might consider splitting the things that a MOH traditionally does between all 3. OR just ask the oldest. My sister was my MOH, but also my officiant, so I asked the other three BMs to do the "traditional" MOH things: 1 gave a toast, 1 stood next to me during the ceremony, and I asked the third to sign the license as witness. <strong>But turned out there was no spot for a witness on the license in my state.</strong>
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

Mine either! I just texted MOH to ask if she "witnessed" anything and she said no...H's dad didn't sign anything either as BM. Learn something new every day I guess.

OP...flip a coin.
  • There were two witness lines on ours and I didn't realize until this morning that the witnesses only signed the copy we keep ourselves, and not the copy to file in the courthouse. So yeah. I forged two witness signatures so I could file it this morning.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Anyone can sign as a witness.  FI and I decided to have our two moms sign as the two witnesses, and they got a kick out of it.

If one of your sisters is living with someone or engaged to someone or has been married but is now divorced, that's the sister who signs, because she has more knowledge and experience with committed relationships to share as a marriage mentor and witness to your marriage as long as you both shall live.

If none of your sisters has any experience with committed relationships or romantic relationships, then you can have someone else sign it, or just choose one of them...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_one-maid-of-honor-witness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c00bf700-7beb-416f-85ee-eb53f3a33581Post:f0371513-1364-4152-833d-0b838d278206">Re: More than one Maid of Honor - Who is the Witness?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone can sign as a witness.  FI and I decided to have our two moms sign as the two witnesses, and they got a kick out of it. <strong>If one of your sisters is living with someone or engaged to someone or has been married but is now divorced, that's the sister who signs, because she has more knowledge and experience with committed relationships to share as a marriage mentor and witness to your marriage as long as you both shall live. </strong>If none of your sisters has any experience with committed relationships or romantic relationships, then you can have someone else sign it, or just choose one of them...
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

<div>lol WHAT?</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_one-maid-of-honor-witness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c00bf700-7beb-416f-85ee-eb53f3a33581Post:f0371513-1364-4152-833d-0b838d278206">Re: More than one Maid of Honor - Who is the Witness?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone can sign as a witness.  FI and I decided to have our two moms sign as the two witnesses, and they got a kick out of it. <strong>If one of your sisters is living with someone or engaged to someone or has been married but is now divorced, that's the sister who signs, because she has more knowledge and experience with committed relationships to share as a marriage mentor and witness to your marriage as long as you both shall live. </strong>If none of your sisters has any experience with committed relationships or romantic relationships, then you can have someone else sign it, or just choose one of them...
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly, and if you know someone who has been divorced over five times, that's best of all. S/he would make an awesome marriage mentor.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have the Best Man sign it.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• In my circle/area, the two people who sign as the witnesses are those with marriage/relationship experience.  No need to mock me for posting that idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards