Wedding Etiquette Forum

Another name idea:

Emmalyn Helene

wdyt?
BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Another name idea:

• I like it, but didn't you already mention this one?
    Photobucket
  • Is that pronounced as Emma-Lynn Helen or Emma-Lyn Hel-een?

JW.
  • Not in this combination, LOL.

What doesn't help is that everyone has been asking me if we've picked names and we've been so busy with registry stuff that we haven't made any progress.

• 2nd one Jess.

EMMA-lyn Hel-EENE

Do you know my last name?

• No ma'am, I do not. I defintely like the 2nd pronunciation better! :) If you don't mind sharing your last name (you should know by now that I'm not an internet crazy) you could PM it to me. Then I'll give you my -OFFICIAL- opinion. ;)
  • I like both separately, but when I say it outlud (and I just did a few times! haha), it sounds like too many L's. Maybe it's just me though.
  • sucrets4sucrets4 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2010
    It's uber generic...

• a guy that works with E, is naming his daughter EmmaLyn not sure of the middle name. I think it's a cute name...
    I think it flows well with Hel-eene
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I hate to say that I don't like it.  Emmalyn doesn't sound pretty to me.  It sounds overworked.  Sorry. :(
  • You don't have to name your baby until she's born, I wouldn't worry about it.  Besides, what if you come up with a name, and once you see her it doesn't fit.

Photobucket
  • I'm on the fence. I think that it flows well with your last name, but I think I'm with bbyckes.

What if you just did Emma Lyn?

But when you say Emmalyn Jones it's pretty.

Ugh. My official opinion hasn't officially been formed.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-name-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a6d3db-393f-4491-990b-14f2ddad0c87Post:0abfafea-bd5e-4ceb-a5e8-fd5e2f0d8dcc">Re: Another name idea:</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't have to name your baby until she's born, I wouldn't worry about it.  Besides, <strong>what if you come up with a name, and once you see her it doesn't fit.
    </strong>Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]

Does this happen?  I've never heard of this.  Most people I know already have the name of their child picked out months in advance.  I think children conform to their names.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-name-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a6d3db-393f-4491-990b-14f2ddad0c87Post:0abfafea-bd5e-4ceb-a5e8-fd5e2f0d8dcc">Re: Another name idea:</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't have to name your baby until she's born, I wouldn't worry about it.  Besides, what if you come up with a name, and once you see her it doesn't fit.
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]

Like in Friends after Rachel had the baby, and they were going to name her Isabella, but then Rachel didn't like it. So they were going to go with the 'backup' name, which was Delilah. Rachel still didn't like it. Then they settled on Emma.

A little ironic here. :)

I will say, Sucrets that Emma is one of THE MOST popular names right now. I don't know if that affects your choice at all or not.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-name-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a6d3db-393f-4491-990b-14f2ddad0c87Post:0abfafea-bd5e-4ceb-a5e8-fd5e2f0d8dcc">Re: Another name idea:</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't have to name your baby until she's born, I wouldn't worry about it.  Besides, what if you come up with a name, <strong>and once you see her it doesn't fit.</strong>

Shhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell me this!  I know it, but I need to pick something now.  Or at least narrow it down.

• I have no idea why my posts are all centered.
  • I don't know, I know my friend who just had a baby planned on Ellie, until she saw her and then they named her Leah.
    Photobucket
  • I know Emma is super popular, *sigh*.  But anything else we somewhat like has a crappy nickname.

I want her middle name to be some form of Helen for my grandmother; Helene happens to be my favorite. 

I like Emmalyn in general, and think it's neat that both of H's grandmas are named Evelyn and it's kinda close.

• I've always loved the name Lucy until I realized everyone names their pets Lucy.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-name-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a6d3db-393f-4491-990b-14f2ddad0c87Post:a3f2e4ef-71e3-4b52-8b41-4542e69c2974">Re: Another name idea:</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have no idea why my posts are all centered.
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

They don't look centered to me!

Apparently my posts did this last night, too.  Weird.

• I've heard of parents narrowing it down to 2 names and then choosing one based upon which "fits" the baby best.
  • edited January 2010
    Since "Helene" is french, what about Emele, or something frenchy like.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-name-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a6d3db-393f-4491-990b-14f2ddad0c87Post:1c072003-65d4-4b6c-81a4-cf27a94403c0">Re: Another name idea:</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know Emma is super popular, *sigh*.  But anything else we somewhat like has a crappy nickname. I want her middle name to be some form of Helen for my grandmother; Helene happens to be my favorite.  I like Emmalyn in general, and think it's neat that both of H's grandmas are named Evelyn and it's kinda close.
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

Well then in that case, you should definitely keep Helene. It's pretty unique (to me, anyway). Maybe find something that goes with Helene.

Alyssa Helene
    Megan Helene
    Elizabeth Helene
    Emily Helene
    Sarah Helene
    Victoria Helene
    Alexa Helene

I don't know if those do anything for you. I thought they sounded nice. I like an "M" name before Helene. Or names that end with the "ah" sound before Helene.
  • Oh, and I forgot Sophia Helene. I like that one. It sounds European.
  • Victoria Helene.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-name-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a6d3db-393f-4491-990b-14f2ddad0c87Post:fceb16d6-de26-4a97-9072-922ab943dafd">Re: Another name idea:</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since "Helene" is french, what about Emele, or something frenchy like.

I like this suggestion.  You could still nickname her Emma or Emmie.  Helene is very pretty and sophisticated.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-name-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a6d3db-393f-4491-990b-14f2ddad0c87Post:e8393d6e-6cb1-47fb-940c-2e3aefb8e7a9">Re: Another name idea:</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another name idea: : Well then in that case, you should definitely keep Helene. It's pretty unique (to me, anyway). Maybe find something that goes with Helene. Alyssa Helene Megan Helene Elizabeth Helene Emily Helene Sarah Helene Victoria Helene Alexa Helene I don't know if those do anything for you. I thought they sounded nice. I like an "M" name before Helene. Or names that end with the "ah" sound before Helene.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions!  I like some, but since we have an uber boring last name, DH wants something a bit more different.  He hated growing up with a crazy common name and wants to spare our child the same fate.

I'm not sold on Helene, but I like it better than Helen.  I also like Elena or Lena, but then I'd have to start all over.

• Just don't give her a super weird name.  I don't want you telling me you gave birth to a Sage or Apple or something.  I'll kick your butt.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-name-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c0a6d3db-393f-4491-990b-14f2ddad0c87Post:54ddc930-5bf1-4e81-bccc-1313ad8e877f">Re: Another name idea:</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just don't give her a super weird name.<strong>  I don't want you telling me you gave birth to a Sage or Apple or something</strong>.  I'll kick your butt.

Aw, I like the name Sage! Apple is just weird.
  • So you're saying that naming your daughter Jane Ann Jones would be too plain?

You silly willy.
  • Oh, fuuck no, Shelly.  No worries there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards