Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Baby names

So I don't know if this has been discussed, but I'm curious, since some of y'all are pregnant, others thinking about TTC in the near or maybe not so near future.

My cousin had a baby yesterday and used the name at the top of mine and DH's list (though we're not even TTC). While it's an incredibly common name and our potential son would definitely share his name with others, it's not a name I'd want my child to share with the child of this particular cousin.

I know you can't claim names, and if I really like the name I should still use it, but I'd have a really hard time hearing from family "oh isn't that Kristie's son's name?"  What are your thoughts? Would you give your kid a name you like if it's already in the family? Or pick something else?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS

Re: Baby names

• Options
    I wouldn't, but that's just me. And I'm pretty close with my cousins and see them often, so that would just be weird.

I'd just find something else to fall in love with.

What was/is the name?
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I've had a family name "claimed" for years but a cousin using it wouldn't deter me from using it either.  the name is very special to me.

My mom's side of the family has gazillions of fathers/sons/uncles/nephews/cousins who are either Alexenders, James, or Johns.  No one seems to get confused because their nicks are all different.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    I'd pick something else. I can't imagine myself being that attached to a name, unless it is a family name. And in that case, it would be understandable for more than one person in the family to have that name.
    I went to elementary school with a poor kid who had the same exact name as his dad and 2 older brothers, except for the suffix. They were all Elton John G.. Sr, Jr, III, and IV. They all went by different names, but those were their given names, and I thought it was ludacris.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm kinda weird about stuff like that, so yeah..I'd come up with another name.
  • Options
    I know it's irrational, but I'd be hella pissed if someone used one of the names we'd already picked.  And I'd use it anyway.  We've spent time thinking about names (even though we're not TTC yet) and they each have very personal meaning to us.

But if it was just a name we liked with no real meaning behind, I would probably pick a new one.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    It depends on the cousin.

If it was one of my cousins I never see and probably won't have much of a relationship with when we're adults, yeah, I'd use it if I really loved it.  If it was one of my cousins that I'm super close with and spend most holidays with, I'd find a new one.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I wouldn't, for the same reason you just said: I'd be afraid that I'd always hear "oh isn't that Kristie's son's name?"
  • Options
    Reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where that couple steals "Seven" from George.

I don't think I would if there was someone close in the family with the same name. My family names everyone after each other and it gets confusing. I'm named after my aunt and a ridiculous amount of people in our family can't follow a conversation unless you specify which Laurie you're speaking of.

Long story short, I wouldn't, but it's a personal preference.
  • Options
    The name is Aiden. Like I said, super popular. But DH suggested it before we were even engaged and I really like it. In all honesty, who knows if we wouldn't have changed our minds when the time actually came. But still, it's THAT cousin. It's not like she ever knew it was a name we liked so she didn't "steal" it or anything. It just irks me that it's HER kid's name.
  • Options
    Then I just wouldn't do it. It's not worth the constant questions and if you really dislike her, I really wouldn't. You wouldn' thear the end of it.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I was just curious as to other peoples' thoughts and what they would do. I know some couples would stick to the name come hell or high water, and others would go back to the drawing board.
  • Options
    I think it depends on the kid, after it pops out - ive heard of changing the name at the last minute because they arent a "robert" or "michael" like you had planned, and going with a completely different name. I probably wouldnt use the same name though, maybe give it to him as amiddle name if I was really hell bent on using it. This is precicely why I keep all my potential baby names in my head where no one can steal them from.
  • Options
    I'd probably find another name because I am close with my cousins/siblings and that would be too confusing. If it was a name that I truly loved, I'd use it as a middle name and pick a different first name.

DH and I have had a boy name picked out for years now. It's his grandfather's first name. Apparently, his sister has already "claimed" that name, but DH said too bad and that is what we want to name our (future) son. She can choose the same name if she wants, but I'd hope that she wouldn't!
  • Options
    Aiden is such a common name that you might actually be sick of it, or come across something more interesting, by the time you are TTC. Don't waste your energy worrying about what she named her kid when you don't even have one on the horizon.
  • Options
    Having named a child and thinking I had the name picked out that I just knew would be his name... when the time came, the name ended up being completely different.  You could always make Aiden a middle name.  But, I say just go with something different.  Before Aiden became popular, I thought of naming my son that too.  Glad I didn't.
  • Options
    Oh, and my favorite girl's name is Violet. My cousin just had a kid and named her Viola. Even though it's a different name, it sounds the same when said outloud. And I think I'd hear too much of "Well, that sounds a lot like Jeff's daughter's name." That alone has deterred me from the name. :(
  • Options
    I totally got it
  • Options
    Sarah FTW.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Like momo fayden, sarah?
  • Options
    I get it Sarah! You-neek spellings are all the rage these days!

There is also: Aidenn, Aydenn, Aidyn, among others. :)
  • Options
    i have 2 cousins named rachel. they aren't the same age and nobody has ever thought it was strange or made a comment about it. my dad's oldest sister had a rachel and then 10 yrs later my dad's youndest sister had a rachel. they don't spend a considerable amount of time together. it's a non-issue to me.
  • Options
    yup. like momo fayden.

i was so damn proud of myself for jumping on that one before anyone else could haha!
  • Options
    Sarah, I got it!
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    I think I like Aaedynn best. There, problem solved.
  • Options
    You forgot the "e" on the end.

Aaedynne.  Yeah, that's better.
  • Options
    Ok here's a spin-off question: while on my semester abroad I fell in love with the name Eilidh (it's Celtic, pronounced Ay-lee, very common name in Scotland, not so common in the US, obviously). I would looooove to name our little girl Eilidh (assuming we have one some day) but H says no, that it's too off-base. What would you think if you met someone named Eilidh? I'm I crazy for thinking this is a good idea?
  • Options
    What about the Canadian spelling?

Eh?Dynn

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Ooooh, that really makes it look masculine, too. Good call! \sarcasm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards