Re: Baby names

• Options
    *Am! That was supposed to say "Am!"
  • Options
    Fish for the spelling win
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_baby-names-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9a5f556-be0a-452f-acd3-5f6966794d27Post:af838d12-d2c2-471c-a90a-3ce8b369fd12">Re: Baby names</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok here's a spin-off question: while on my semester abroad I fell in love with the name Eilidh (it's Celtic, pronounced Ay-lee, very common name in Scotland, not so common in the US, obviously). I would looooove to name our little girl Eilidh (assuming we have one some day) but H says no, that it's too off-base. What would you think if you met someone named Eilidh? I'm I crazy for thinking this is a good idea?
    Posted by lauralaur[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't know how to pronounce it, neither would their teachers, and it might be hard for the kid to learn to spell because the spelling is not intuitive, but I think it is a pretty name.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_baby-names-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9a5f556-be0a-452f-acd3-5f6966794d27Post:af838d12-d2c2-471c-a90a-3ce8b369fd12">Re: Baby names</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok here's a spin-off question: while on my semester abroad I fell in love with the name Eilidh (it's Celtic, pronounced Ay-lee, very common name in Scotland, not so common in the US, obviously). I would looooove to name our little girl Eilidh (assuming we have one some day) but H says no, that it's too off-base. What would you think if you met someone named Eilidh? I'm I crazy for thinking this is a good idea?
    Posted by lauralaur[/QUOTE]

No one would EVER pronounce it correctly.  EVER.  She'd hate you until she got old enough to appreciate it.  She'd lament year after year, why you couldn't have just named her Emma like all the other girls in her class. ;p

I like the name, the spelling will cause trouble.  I loved the name Etienne (Steven in french)  and wanted to name my child, if it was a girl.  I wanted this in high school - not so much now.
  • Options
    SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2009
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_baby-names-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9a5f556-be0a-452f-acd3-5f6966794d27Post:2824303e-d4eb-45df-b000-14156632321c">Re: Baby names</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby names : No one would EVER pronounce it correctly.  EVER.  She'd hate you until she got old enough to appreciate it.  She'd lament year after year, why you couldn't have just named her Emma like all the other girls in her class. ;p I like the name, the spelling will cause trouble.  I loved the name Etienne (Steven in french)  and wanted to name my child, if it was a girl.  I wanted this in high school - not so much now.
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

crap, i like the name emmma haha. ;)

the Celtic name is beautiful, but it would really be impossible to pronounce. and people who hear her name will think it is Hailey.
  • Options
    I ADORE the name Xavier but Nick's cousin has a child of the same name. Personally, I am thinking that second cousins aren't terribly important in the naming process, but Nick isn't a huge fan of the name anyway. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_baby-names-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9a5f556-be0a-452f-acd3-5f6966794d27Post:2824303e-d4eb-45df-b000-14156632321c">Re: Baby names</a>:
    [QUOTE] I loved the name Etienne (Steven in french)  and wanted to name my child, if it was a girl.  I wanted this in high school - not so much now.
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad you didn't do that to a little girl. In Louisiana, where I am from, we name boys Rene', but naming a girl Etienne is really just plain weird, since it is obvioulsy a masculine name. Of course, I went to school with girls named Flame and Princess. I know lots of Etiennes, and only one of them wants to be a girl..

and I'd go with A'dn or E'dn... then you can let people guess which letters you are skipping with the apostrophe.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I know lots of Etiennes, and only one of them wants to be a girl.

hahaha  yeah, I dodged a bullet on that one! 
  • Options
    I wouldn't be able to bring my self to use the same name if I wasn't fond of the person or the family... My sister named her daughter the same as our cousin's daughter but they spell it differently.  If you really like it maybe change it up and make it a middle name.  If there are years apart I don't think many will say about it being the other person kid's name.
    I am set on a name but I feel if someone in my family (my cousins' whom are not close) would use that name I would be back on to looking for another name. That's just me..
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If we did have kids (not on the cards) we would probably name them what we wanted to, even if someone else had used it. In R's family people are named after each other and then nicknames are used all the time (making it very hard to trace the family tree, or so I hear). We would want to name the kids after family members anyway, so people would probably assume we were naming them after parents/grandparents and not copying a child around the same age.
  • Options
    My family is really picky about using a family name if one person already has it, it's considered their's to pass on to to their children.

This is primaily ancestor last names that have become first names.

There haven't been any names stolen in my family in two generations now!   amazina
  • Options
    My family recycles names.  Mr. Heels doesn't like to recycle names.  He wants our kids to have something different/unique.  Not, like, Pilot Inspektor unique, but not that one name that everyone under the sun has named their kid in the last 4 years, either.

My siblings and I all have rare names.  None of us ever shared our name with a classmate.  Oddly, my brother's girlfriend has the same first name as I do. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_baby-names-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9a5f556-be0a-452f-acd3-5f6966794d27Post:af838d12-d2c2-471c-a90a-3ce8b369fd12">Re: Baby names</a>:
    Posted by lauralaur[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Some people would think it's weird and no one would spell it or pronounce right, but if you're at all Scottish I don't think it would be bad. There are lots of Irish Gaelic names that people use (in the UK mostly, but in other English speaking countries) and Siobhan is about the most tame one I can think of. ;-)</div><div>
    </div><div>And no, Brooke, I wouldn't use that name. I have a second cousin, same last name, named Jillian. My mom liked the name, but wouldn't think about giving me the same first and last name as my dad's cousin's daughter, who is 4 years older than me.</div><div>
    </div><div>At least your awesome girls name is still safe!

</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I wouldn't. Having a name actually serve as a unique identifier is an importlant quality to me. I don't want to use a name that is going to ever lead to the question, "wait, which Joshua?" for example. Especially within my own family.
  • Options
    [QUOTE] At least your awesome girls name is still safe!
    [/QUOTE]

True, no one likes any of my girls' names. My awesome, awesome girls' names.
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    If I had 20 cousins maybe I'd feel differently, but since I only have 6 -- no, I wouldn't name a child the same as any of their children. It would just feel too weird to me.
  • Options
    DH has said since he was young that his son, should he have one, would be named after his favorite uncle in Liverpool. His sister had a baby and took the name and actually rubbed in his face that she had a baby before he could and stole the name.

I don't have the heart to tell her if we do decide to have a baby, and it's a boy, it will have DH's uncle's name. And when she pitches a fit, I'll just say, "Oh, it's entirely different. OURS has the family last name, see?"

Yeah, I'm headed to hell. Wanna come with?
  • Options
    I have two Jennifers as cousins.  They are both first cousins on the same side of the family, about a year apart in age.  We call one Jenny and one Jennifer.

We also have two "mo"s.  Maureen and Morgan.  They are like 10 years difference.

...and almost everyone's middle name is "Victoria".  its a family name, I'll probably use it.

We're just a boring family with boring names.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards