Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Having a far away wedding.

I was having a discussion with a good friend about having a wedding that is about 3 hours away by car.  My friend thought that it was rude and selfish to have a wedding that far away and that nobody would show up.   I honestly don't see a problem with it.  What does everyone think about that?  Is it considered rude?

Re: Having a far away wedding.

• Options
    I think you can have your wedding wherever and whenever you want, but you need to understand that it's likely that you will see a lot of people not being able to attend.

I wouldn't attend a wedding 3 hours away unless you were a close family member, or a very close friend.

As long as you recognize and are ok with that, I say go for it.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I agree with PP. I can see both points. If the person invited a lot of people to the wedding and expected them to come, but made it 3 hours away (assuming this is 3 hours away from most guests?) then I would probably think it's a little rude, but it really depends on why they are having it 3 hours away...

Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• Options
    Well, considering that my family lives in Virginia, my fiance's family lives in Florida, we live in the UK, and most of my friends are in the military and stationed around the globe, I HOPE it's not rude to have a wedding that's 3 hours away from people I am inviting.  In fact, I doubt anyone will travel further to get to our wedding than my fiance and I.

Having said that,I totally understand that people may be unable to travel. 
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I've never been to a "hometown" wedding.  I've traveled (by air or car) at least several hours for each and every one.

Understand that some people may not come because of travel, but many will.

Get married where you want.
  • Options
    i don't think 3 hours is too far.  to me that is still "driveable" although more than likely i'd still want a hotel room for the night.  assuming you're family or a close friend i'd still be there, if we're not that close, i may choose to skip it.  So yea, that's not that far and most of your close friends and familiy are goign to do what they can to be there.  i know some people live in places where the majority of their family still lives and maybe your s/o family does too, but for many people that's just not the case and someone is going to have to do some traveling.  as long as you're okay that some people may not attend because of the travel (and that its not the "majority") i think it's okay.
  • Options
    Personally I think it's odd to have a wedding 3 hours away if that is where you and all your family and friends live.   

That said, having a wedding 3 hours away is not rude.  Inconvenient yes?  Rude?  No.

I had my wedding 3-3.5 hours from most of my guests.  The difference was our families were from different directions.  Our guests would have had to travel regardless.  The location was also a plane ride away from us.  Having it there was actually more convenient and cheaper for our guests.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm in the same position as some PPs that said that there would be no location that would be convenient for everyone on our guest list--I'm from the East coast, FI is from the West coast, our friends are all over, and we currently live 6 hours from where I grew up. 

As long as you realize that some people may not think it's worth the trip, I don't see any problem with what you're thinking.  I also don't think a 3-hour drive is that far.  Are there reasonable hotel accomodations in the area?  I would prefer to stay over in an inexpensive hotel than make the drive in one day, especially after attending the reception. 
  • Options
    My wedding is at the beach 4 ish hours away from us and our friends to the southeast, and about 4.5 hrs away from my parents/family, 5ish from in laws.  My parents live about an hour south of us, and my in laws live about an hour north.

All of our close friends and family are coming.  We invited about 100 ppl, and about 60 RSVPd yes.  A couple of people without jobs couldn't afford to come, but everyone else is coming down Thurs-Sun.

I don't think it's rude at all. If people don't want to come, personally, for me, they can just stay home and miss the awesome parties.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards