Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Ms. vs. Miss

I'm getting ready to address wedding invites (myself) and had been planning on using "Miss" to address non-married women.  However, my mom things that the term "Miss" is patriarchial (sp?) and that I should use "Ms." instead.

Can anyone clear up which is proper? Thnx

Re: Ms. vs. Miss

• Options
    edited June 2010
    I would use "Ms." 

"Miss" is usually reserved for young girls. I wouldn't use this for anyone over the age of 13, but I don't know what the proper cutoff is. 

ETA: I just googled it, and it looks like "miss" it is is "proper" to use for any unmarried woman. However, I still this "Ms." is seen as more polite because it is unrelated to marital status.
  • Options
    I would use Ms.
  • Options
    Either one is proper.  I used Ms. as a single person and as a married person.  I just prefer it, as I see it as the equivalent of "Mr." - it doesn't change with one's marital status. 
  • Options
    Miss is technically for any woman who is unmarried.

However, it is completely appropriate to use Ms, although i personally wouldnt for anyone under 18. 
  • Options
    My 80+ year old aunt went by Miss until the day she died. She wasn't having any of that Ms. stuff.

When she addressed stuff to us as kids, it came to Miss (me) and Master (my brother). He did get Mr. until he was over 18.

My personal suggestion, based on experience, would be that if you are addressing any older people (60+), you use Miss if they are single, and Mrs. if they are widowed. I wouldn't bring Ms. into it, unless when they divorced, they went back to their maiden name.

Younger folks won't care as much.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have been told at work that 

Miss = unmarried

Mrs. = married

Ms = none of your f.ucking business

Even if we know the person is married, we are still to use Ms for every woman we are adressing something to, as addressing someone's martial status is inappropriate and dated.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Ms. it is!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ms-vs-miss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d5e99816-f126-40fa-8b91-908b8c974507Post:bc3645f9-3fde-47ea-8212-78c45944ab8f">Re: Ms. vs. Miss</a>:
    [QUOTE]Either one is proper.  I used Ms. as a single person and as a married person.  I just prefer it, as I see it as the equivalent of "Mr." - it doesn't change with one's marital status. 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]
    me too. i prefer ms. in all instances.
  • Options
    I'm using Miss Meredith Lastname as the address on my RSVP envelopes, and I don't mind being addressed by Miss at all. However, the feedback I've gotten is much the same as PPs have mentioned, so I'm addressing all unmarried women on my list as Ms.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ms-vs-miss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d5e99816-f126-40fa-8b91-908b8c974507Post:e3f94765-193e-4c84-99bf-9862c640e06d">Re: Ms. vs. Miss</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been told at work that  Miss = unmarried Mrs. = married Ms = none of your f.ucking business Even if we know the person is married, we are still to use Ms for every woman we are addressing something to, as addressing someone's martial status is inappropriate and dated.
    Posted by shoegal715[/QUOTE]

I use Ms. as default, except for my very conservative, conscientiously old-fashioned female friends who would be offended by "Ms."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards