Wedding Etiquette Forum

Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?

Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?

• Bay, I hope your weekend turns out to be fabulous. You're such a wonderful person and everyone you meet is going to love you.
  • Angel -- I don't know.  When she first brought up the idea of me staying with her, the plan was to hang out, go shopping, I'd hang with her kids (I'm babysitting in a few weeks when her brother gets married).  But now we're going to a cast party of a play she was in...and then going out to a bar with her friends...and I'm just not comfortable with either of those situations.  I loved the idea of getting away for the weekend and hanging out with her and her H, but all the going out to bars and parties thing, I'm not okay with.  I just don't know how to broach the subject with her.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:8c3376cc-064c-40a8-b3e0-735dcc7ffad5">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ETA: Bruno - maybe you just remind me of Kalpi. Some of your posts are lengthy and that's what she was known for. FWIW, I liked her just fine until she went a little BSC. Don't go BSC and you'll be groovy.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

Noted. If I were to go BSC, it would probably be the week before the wedding, but at that point I won't have a chance to get online as much so you probably won't notice.
  • I know I shouldn't... but I do anyway.  It's not right, we've talked about it.  One time I told him I was scared to tell him about a mastercard bill because of the way he usually reacts.  It was sort of a light bulb moment with him.  I hate finances, and I hate that I have to tell someone else what I spend money on now.  It's just like, I work my ass off and now I have to answer to someone else when I spend money on something?  It was so much easier when it was just me.  I think we're still trying to work into a system that works for both of us.  We're working on it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:07699a1c-1f38-46c4-83aa-dd242985f242">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since Hannibal Lecter was brought up - I read something recently about a remake of "Hannibal".  Why can't anyone come up with an original movie, instead of remaking ones that were made in the 80s and 90s?  It is not like it was not long ago, people.  I guess I can understand re-makes of movies from the 30s and 40s, but I swear I will boycott and not lay my eyes on a remake of "Some Like It Hot" - no one can fill Marilyn's shoes.
    Posted by AbbeyS2011[/QUOTE]

I am completely onboard with this.  Movies make it big when they do because of who is in them and the time they are released.  Making a remake does not mean it's going to be a hit again.

And can someone please explain why we need yet ANOTHER Spiderman?

• Confession: H is killing me with this moving thing. His dad apparently used to pack up the family with no notice and just put them in a hotel until his mom found them a rental house (once they were in the new area). H seemed to think it would work this way for us as well. It will not. 

I'm having to set up appointments for him to meet people and what not and It's annoying me. He needs to be responsibile - HE'S IN THE AREA!
  • I hear you on finding a system.  H and I are going to combine bank accounts once I leave here (no point in keeping a bank account that's not getting new money put in), and it will be interesting to see how that goes.  I had a joint account with my ex, but I had 99.9% of the control of the money and didn't ever have to answer for how I spent it. 
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:b8a9c764-2e05-4613-8c85-7d1df92d88fe">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Angel -- I don't know.  When she first brought up the idea of me staying with her, the plan was to hang out, go shopping, I'd hang with her kids (I'm babysitting in a few weeks when her brother gets married).  But now we're going to a cast party of a play she was in...and then going out to a bar with her friends...and I'm just not comfortable with either of those situations.  I loved the idea of getting away for the weekend and hanging out with her and her H, but all the going out to bars and parties thing, I'm not okay with.  I just don't know how to broach the subject with her.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

<div>Bay, I'd just be honest with her, especially since you said she already knows about your anxiety.  It could be that she just wasn't thinking when she made the plans.  You could also tell her you were really looking forward to spending some quality time with just her, since (I'm assumming?) you don't get to see her very often.  She can go to a bar with her local friends anytime.</div>
  • MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Cfas - thanks for your OUaT recommendation.  I thoroughly enjoy Robert Carlyle.  We're just sad that we watched the whole first season in a week and now don't know what to do with our time.

Confession:  I ate a jar of Newman's Own Peach Salsa as part of my lunch (the whole jar, with a spoon).  It was delicious.  I don't regret a bite.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:a87e780d-2d14-49e7-89b0-ec5036d1c548">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something? : Hm.  Maybe I'll rent it then. I am just hopelessly devoted to the original ;-)
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I think it's far enough off the original that it doesn't take away from the original. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:a87e780d-2d14-49e7-89b0-ec5036d1c548">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something? : Hm.  Maybe I'll rent it then. I am just hopelessly devoted to the original ;-)

There is a remake of "Dirty Dancing" in the works, or so I have heard.  Hard to imagine someone other than Patrick Swayze playing Johnny, though.  (That was his name, wasn't it?) Been a long time since I have seen it.

kj: my thoughts exactly about Spiderman. 
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:2fcdd667-c567-42a4-9fb4-887859eba09b">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something? : This is probably why it's not smart for BOTH of you to quit jobs and go back to school. That's what you're doing IIRC.
    Posted by mkrupar[/QUOTE]

Nope, just he is quitting and going back to school. I'll still be working. I'm not that crazy! We're both on my work health insurance policy, and it's a good one, but thousands of dollars of bills will still be a lot of money for us on one income. When I crunched the numbers I'm making just enough for us to get by.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:c98cfdee-7651-4ef6-a2db-368835a867b0">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know I shouldn't... but I do anyway.  It's not right, we've talked about it.  One time I told him I was scared to tell him about a mastercard bill because of the way he usually reacts.  It was sort of a light bulb moment with him.  I hate finances, and I hate that I have to tell someone else what I spend money on now.  It's just like, I work my ass off and now I have to answer to someone else when I spend money on something?  It was so much easier when it was just me.  I think we're still trying to work into a system that works for both of us.  We're working on it. 
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Would it be better for you guys to have separate accounts but both contribute to a joint 'house/bills' account? Then you each contribute a percent of your income for bills, but the rest you can spend however you please?

</div>
  • Nicole - I got a divacup and freaked out the first time I tried to use it, since it went in a little too far.  Since then I've realized that I don't think that I can really use it right now.  On the pill, my period is super-duper light and I won't get into it any more, but the DC is waiting on the shelf for when I have heavier periods again.

Sorry for the TMI.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:b8a9c764-2e05-4613-8c85-7d1df92d88fe">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Angel -- I don't know.  When she first brought up the idea of me staying with her, the plan was to hang out, go shopping, I'd hang with her kids (I'm babysitting in a few weeks when her brother gets married).  But now we're going to a cast party of a play she was in...and then going out to a bar with her friends...and I'm just not comfortable with either of those situations.  I loved the idea of getting away for the weekend and hanging out with her and her H, but all the going out to bars and parties thing, I'm not okay with.  I just don't know how to broach the subject with her.

Maybe you could compromise... go to the cast party but not the bar? Honestly, I feel like you shouldn't have to do anything you aren't comfortable with, especially with all you have going on right now, but if you didn't want to ask her to cancel all the plans, maybe you could just do one or the other, instead of the whole night out with strangers?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • They rated the top 10 movies in like 1980 vs the top 10 movies in 2010 on memebase awhile ago.

The 80s all of them were originals and 2010 8 of them were remakes or sequels. People lack serious creativity outside of children's movie. Even Avatar was pretty much Pocahontas  in space.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Cfas, I thought the same thing about the DivaCup but I freaking love it. But I can see the aversion. It grosses H out to no end. I just don't look at it lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:b8a9c764-2e05-4613-8c85-7d1df92d88fe">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:

I would just say that with everything going on lately, a lowkey weekend is more what you were looking for.  Good thoughts that it all works out.

On the "it's a small world" side of things - can I ask what theatre her play is at?  I have a friend that's a production manager at a theatre in Providence.

• This opinion may not be that unpopular, or I may get flamed to high heaven, but I really do not and will never understand naming one's child Nevaeh. It's only on my mind because a woman at the grocery store yesterday was yelling for her little girl to come back from down the aisle, and that was the name she was yelling. I just don't get it. 

I know there are lots of variables and social and cultural issues that go into naming children, but Nevaeh is just ridiculous to me. 
  • Cfas, don't feel bad.  My mom thinks it's gross and she's a freaking midwife who sees nasty shiiit all the time. 

Bay, can you tell her you were looking forward to a quiet weekend in? 

I refuse to watch a remake of Dirty Dancing.  REFUSE.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Bay can you just stay at her house while she goes and does these things? I'm sure she would understand that you need some down/alone time.

Generally I like horror movie remakes. Sometimes I find older horror movies to be a little quiet or slow. They're still good, but when I really want to get scared, usually an older movie won't do it. I don't think I'd care for a remake of the Exorcist. I'd love to see a remake of The Poltergeist, even though I am a huge fan of the original.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:326b0b21-8ac8-4666-8e98-7e01bbdd0f0a">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cfas, I thought the same thing about the DivaCup but I freaking love it. But I can see the aversion. It grosses H out to no end. I just don't look at it lol.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

<div>I started using my DC this week and I like it.  I like that I have less trash and that I'll be spending less money each month on tampons.  I don't think I love it though.</div><div>
    </div><div>Confession, I haven't told H and I probably won't.  He would be super disgusted and I just don't think he needs to know.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:366b4e5c-5c25-4036-830d-f96cc7bd3f57">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This opinion may not be that unpopular, or I may get flamed to high heaven, but I really do not and will never understand naming one's child Nevaeh. It's only on my mind because a woman at the grocery store yesterday was yelling for her little girl to come back from down the aisle, and that was the name she was yelling. I just don't get it.  I know there are lots of variables and social and cultural issues that go into naming children, but Nevaeh is just ridiculous to me. 
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]
    There are a LOT of names out there that are atrocious. That's one of the worst offenders. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:4f07be13-cb67-49c3-b89f-c5c38472e14a">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something? : I'm totally normal, but was bored as hell and disliked all the Star Wars movies (originals and prequels). 
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

FI insisted I watch the originals and I fell asleep during all of them.  Just couldn't get into them. 

Also, I have a meeting on the other side of the city this afternoon so I'm using it as an opportunity to come home early after the meeting instead of returning to my office.  So yay for leaving early.  Oh, and I guess I'm a "newbie."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:6e97bdf6-c600-4ec7-9c50-34fcc6118da5">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Confession: H is killing me with this moving thing. His dad apparently used to pack up the family with no notice and just put them in a hotel until his mom found them a rental house (once they were in the new area). H seemed to think it would work this way for us as well. It will not.  I'm having to set up appointments for him to meet people and what not and It's annoying me. He needs to be responsibile - HE'S IN THE AREA!
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

I would be near homocidal over that. 

There needs to be another NC GTG once you move. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:28a91cc4-a4a7-4b00-9bab-3b1a17046ba0">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something? : There is a remake of "Dirty Dancing" in the works, or so I have heard.  Hard to imagine someone other than Patrick Swayze playing <strong>Johnny,</strong> though.  (That was his name, wasn't it?) Been a long time since I have seen it. kj: my thoughts exactly about Spiderman. 
    Posted by AbbeyS2011[/QUOTE]

Yes, Johnny Castle.

• Amy, I didn't love mine the first month either, I liked it, but there was a bit of a learning curve. The next month though, I had a day when I literally didn't get to pee for 14 hours. Not feeling like I was leaking was the greatest thing ever. 
  • Edie, sometimes they can do a series really well.

I am not a fan of diva cup either.

Bee- I don't get uneek spellings of any name and some names drive me nuts. I don't think I could be a teacher without seriously sideyeing some of the names out there today.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_confessions-or-unpop-ops-or-something?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e1fa1ca8-f5ac-4c19-ac14-8eff8606ed2cPost:e17d803a-c34d-44a7-8604-17bfeddd7e0c">Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions or UnPop Ops or something? : See I'm not the only one!

Thirded. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards