Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?

Way back in September, we briefly met fbil's girlfriend for a couple of minutes (not exaggerating). She left the party all mad and dramatic, didn't even say bye to anyone, and we haven't seen or heard of her since.

Fbil has been treating me really badly for the last year, and blaming me for something that was not my fault at all. So our relationship went down the drain, big time. He doesn't even speak to me except to provide the shortest answers ever when I ask him something.

So that's the background info. Now... the current issue...

We're having a very intimate engagement party, and we have strict limitations due to the restaurant's small size. Fh has already invited his share of people, as have both our parents. Because of the small restaurant and our desire to keep it as intimate as possible (we're footing the bill, which is another factor). I have yet to invite my own personal friends (I only have 3 that I'm inviting).

The problem is this: all of a sudden fbil wants to bring this chick that we met once, wayyyy back in September and haven't met since. And to do that, I'd have to not invite one of my good friends (sicne I'm the only one that hasn't invited anyone yet, and it's rude to uninvite people). I've been friends with this person for almost my entire life, and he's been there through thick and thin.

I feel like cutting him for fbil's gf that we don't even know isn't fair, and with the way he's been treating me, I definitely don't feel like doing him any favours. Fh is annoyed with me because he feels like since his brother is important to him, it shouldn't even be an issue. 

Any advice?

Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?

• Options
    Don't throw your own engagement party.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:515bd75f-bc96-4b03-91ea-538a9889ee13">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't throw your own engagement party.
    Posted by HockeyFan4[/QUOTE]

<div>We're not throwing our own engement party, we're just paying for it. Our parents are the hosts on the invitations. They're already throwing in a good chunk for the wedding, and we didn't want them to have to pay for this, too. But they are the hosts (as is traditional in our culture).</div>
  • Options
    Not at all, for the wedding we are giving everyone over 16 the chance to bring a date. 

We wanted a very small and very intimate gathering for the engagement party, that's it. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:8075cfab-0039-4eea-a02d-c6d11d38a3cd">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : 1. It is improper to host your own party. 2.  It is not "this chick we met once"  It is his girlfirend, they are a social unit.  It is improper to split up a social unit. 3.  It isn't a favor, it is proper etiquette to not split up social units. My advice is to not go against etiquette. 
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

<div>Normally, I take etiquette very seriously. In this case though, it's going to cost me one of my close friends for her. How do I give up a friend I've known for 20 years, for a girl I met for 5 minutes in September, and havent heard FROM or OF her since? THat's the part I'm having difficulty with. If the restaurant had room for one more, i wouldn't care. but fbil hasnt mentioned her since september, and now we're just supposed to make room?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:61fee876-0879-4a15-b1a0-5b423ee158b0">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : Does that mean you are inviting all couples together?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, for the wedding we are inviting all couples and singles who'd like to bring a friend/date together. We're having a large wedding, and the venue holds plenty of people so it's not an issue in that case.</div><div>
    </div><div>It's an issue for the engement party because we already booked the place, finalized the list, and then fbil springs her on us (when we haven't heard ANYTHING about her since september... we didn't even know if they were still together!)</div>
  • Options
    Your desire to have an "intimate" engagement party is irrelevant here, as is all of the b/s backstory you gave us about FBIL and his g/f.  FBIL has a g/f, therefore he is invited with his g/f.  Unless she's a serial killer and you forgot to mention it in your OP, you MUST invite her.  That's all there is to it.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    mkruparmkrupar member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:57edbbe4-31ce-41b1-9ec6-e6c25dfb22ca">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : <strong>We're not throwing our own engement party, we're just paying for it. Our parents are the hosts on the invitations. </strong>They're already throwing in a good chunk for the wedding, and we didn't want them to have to pay for this, too. But they are the hosts (as is traditional in our culture).
    Posted by andra loves andre[/QUOTE]

Bahaaha Seriously?? Seriously? "We're not throwing it, we're paying for it."

Are you for real?? That is the definition of "throwing a party". You are most definitely throwing AND hosting your own E-party regardless of what it says on the invitations.

Here's the issue. You're looking at this girl as "this chick we've met once" and no as your FBIL's GF. You need to look at the relationship through FBIL's eyes, NOT your own. Just because you've only met her once, doesn't mean she's not an important part of FBIL's life. You need to invite her.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:587fb1c1-a0b7-4467-bde7-d4f5d55fe13d">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : Paying = hosting.  At least all I have heard.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

<div>Well no one knows that we're paying except for our parents, so as far as any of our guests know, our parents are hosting. The fact that we're paying is a favour to our parents who we don't want to have to shell out more money, sicne we're already a bit over budged with wedding expenses.</div>
  • Options
    1.) Paying for the party is hosting the party, regardless of who's name is on the invite.  That's just splitting hairs.  If you're paying for everyone, your parents are getting "credit" as hosts, but they aren't hosting. 

2.) Can't your FI just call his brother and find out if he and the girlfriend are still together? If you haven't heard her name spoken since the fall, is there a chance they aren't together, and this is drama over nothing?

If they're still together, she needs to be invited.  I find it hard to believe that a restaurant can't cough up ONE chair for your friend to attend this party.
  • Options
    Does the restaurant really not have room for one more person? I'd just call them and explain that you have one unforeseen guest.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:6daa1bfc-71e8-4bf5-ab3f-6d23eb1cdd59">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : Maybe you should have considered a different e-party venue then.

<div>I would have if I had known that they're still dating. All I know about her is this: (1) met her once, for 5 minutes, in September. Haven't seen, or heard about her since. FBIL never mentioned her since. Never mentioned that he's in a relationship, never brought her anywhere else. not to parties, to family events, anywhere. The second time I hear about her is (2) yesterday, after we've booked the venue weeks ago and fbil knew about it and that we're working on our invites. We had no idea whatsoever that he's still with her since september, not even fh did.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:8d0486b3-b76d-4ba1-bdca-8083c45ebeb2">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : I would have if I had known that they're still dating. All I know about her is this: (1) met her once, for 5 minutes, in September. Haven't seen, or heard about her since. FBIL never mentioned her since. Never mentioned that he's in a relationship, never brought her anywhere else. not to parties, to family events, anywhere. The second time I hear about her is (2) yesterday, after we've booked the venue weeks ago and fbil knew about it and that we're working on our invites. We had no idea whatsoever that he's still with her since september, not even fh did.

So your FBIL re-sprung his girlfriend into the picture.  She needs to be invited
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:edf03f9b-f91c-411e-bca2-8659e28f80f8">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.) Paying for the party is hosting the party, regardless of who's name is on the invite.  That's just splitting hairs.  If you're paying for everyone, your parents are getting "credit" as hosts, but they aren't hosting.  2.) Can't your FI just call his brother and find out if he and the girlfriend are still together? If you haven't heard her name spoken since the fall, is there a chance they aren't together, and this is drama over nothing? If they're still together, she needs to be invited.  I find it hard to believe that a restaurant can't cough up ONE chair for your friend to attend this party.
    Posted by chumlee7478[/QUOTE]

<div>They are still together, fbil told us yesterday. We havent heard a single thing about her since September. Fbil told us nothing, as part of his silent treatment towards me. </div><div>
    </div><div>I called the restaurant and asked if we can have an extra person or two, and they said that 30 is the max they can host due to "fire code". </div><div>
    </div><div>If fbil had said something when we told him about the party, it would not be an issue bacause fh could have just put less people on his list to accomodate her. But everyone already told guests about the party, expcept for me. That's where my real issue is: i have the fewest guests (only 3 friends) and I'm supposed to give one of them up because I didn't go around advertising yet.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:6f28ed19-3887-4c98-966e-82456857d974">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does the restaurant really not have room for one more person? I'd just call them and explain that you have one unforeseen guest.
    Posted by Elinetrouwt[/QUOTE]

<div>I did, they said 30 is the max we can have to do "fire restrictions" or whatever... some code saying that they can only have x amount of people in each room. Apparently it's even listed on their wall. Sigh.</div><div>
    </div><div>If we could have even ONE more extra person, i would just say w/e and have her. I'm having difficutly cutting a friend i've had for 20 years for her though, esp when fbil hasnt even mentioned her since september and we had no idea that they were still dating.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:36ef577f-ef76-4bc5-9997-07bc8264bebf">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : Well no one knows that we're paying except for our parents, so as far as any of our guests know, our parents are hosting. The fact that we're paying is a favour to our parents who we don't want to have to shell out more money, sicne we're already a bit over budged with wedding expenses.

Your wedding isn't until May 2013 and you're already over budget?  I see a lot more unpleasant cuts in your future. 
  • Options
    I would find a new e-party venue, sounds like the easiest thing to do. That way you can still invite your friends and FBIL's GF.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:968960fe-890f-4832-ae91-357d0a35bfbd">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : They are still together, fbil told us yesterday. We havent heard a single thing about her since September. Fbil told us nothing, as part of his silent treatment towards me.  I called the restaurant and asked if we can have an extra person or two, and they said that 30 is the max they can host due to "fire code".  If fbil had said something when we told him about the party, it would not be an issue bacause fh could have just put less people on his list to accomodate her. But everyone already told guests about the party, expcept for me. That's where my real issue is: i have the fewest guests (only 3 friends) and I'm supposed to give one of them up because I didn't go around advertising yet.

Then you need a new party venue.  It stinks, but if you don't want to leave off your friend, you need a new space.  Fire code is fire code, and the fire department doesn't take those lightly.  You'll have to move the party.
  • Options
    no words, just a special

• Options
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:968960fe-890f-4832-ae91-357d0a35bfbd">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : They are still together, fbil told us yesterday. We havent heard a single thing about her since September. Fbil told us nothing, as part of his silent treatment towards me.  I called the restaurant and asked if we can have an extra person or two, and they said that 30 is the max they can host due to "fire code".  If fbil had said something when we told him about the party, it would not be an issue bacause fh could have just put less people on his list to accomodate her. But everyone already told guests about the party, expcept for me. <strong>That's where my real issue is: i have the fewest guests (only 3 friends) and I'm supposed to give one of them up because I didn't go around advertising yet.
    </strong>Posted by andra loves andre[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are supposed to give up one of your guests because FBIL's g/f must be invited.  Fire codes and wanting an "intimate" party aren't good enough reasons to break a major etiquette rule.  Does it kind of suck to follow etiquette for you in this particular situation?  Yes.  But being rude to FBIL isn't the appropriate solution.  There's no etiquette exception for "But I don't like him and he's mean!"

Edited for spelling.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:8d0486b3-b76d-4ba1-bdca-8083c45ebeb2">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : I would have if I had known that they're still dating. All I know about her is this: (1) met her once, for 5 minutes, in September. Haven't seen, or heard about her since. FBIL never mentioned her since. Never mentioned that he's in a relationship, never brought her anywhere else. not to parties, to family events, anywhere. The second time I hear about her is (2) yesterday, after we've booked the venue weeks ago and fbil knew about it and that we're working on our invites. We had no idea whatsoever that he's still with her since september, not even fh did.

But how is FBIL to know that your venue isn't big enough? Did you tell him we booked so and so venue, and we can only invite x amount of people, which we have?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:82a64e02-c425-4a6e-9b17-c39920afbefb">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For all the trouble this is causing, I would cancel it TBH.  If you're paying as a favor to your parents and you need to split up couples, it just doesn't seem worth it. An engagement party is not a requirement to be married.

That's true, FI and I didn't have one. No one offered, actually I was kind of relieved.
  • Options
    Ok Ladies,

I don't know why everything here turned as if I'm doing something so horribly wrong on purpose.

First off, in our culture, it doesn't matter who pays, the parents are always the hosts and gets first dibs on who to invite. THis whole "you pay you host" is a north american thing, and I understand that. That was not the problem I was seeking help for.

(2) fbil had plenty of time to speak up about her, but he decided that giving me the silent treatment was more important.

(3) the restaurant has rules as to how many people can be in each room, due to fire regulations. We already put a deposit down on it, and everyone that we were aware about fit perfectly until fbil sprung this on us.

(4) i guess we can look for another venue, but we loose our deposit.

(5) i just really needed someone to have my back, for once. I'm tired of being treated like crap by his family and then having to give up the things that are important to me as to not step on their toes.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:ec57afad-8a2c-486e-8f84-906f8ebd7e7e">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : 1. Social unit = must be invited together. 2.  That sucks. But that's the way it is. Sounds like you are just sore that your FI and his family took over the party.  That is a different issue.  And no reason to go against etiquette.  This is not an exception to the rule.
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

<div>I am definitely sore over that. They have a lot more people they invited and it all comes down on me cutting the 3 people I wanted there because it would also be against etiquette to uninvite people. </div><div>
    </div><div>I fully agree that a social unit needs to be invited together, and I would have if he had told me just to avoid all this drama. </div><div>
    </div><div>We told him about the venue, and said that we chose a small one that only fits our closest group. He still didn't say anything like "Well, just remember to put my gf down, too"</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:765909a9-d7ae-436a-bb21-dd6ac31c5b3b">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly - I'd invite the girlfriend and the friend. There's always the chance that someone you invite to the party won't be able to make it (I know, I know, that's terrible advice), and even if 100% show up, I really doubt the restaurant is going to count. I wouldn't cancel the entire thing over one person.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

<div>Hmmm I really didnt think of that. By then someone might have to cancel for some reason, but it's still risky. I guess we should look around for another venue, too, though. That means bye-bye deposit :(</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:a73a6b33-b874-4fa8-aa32-0b5783bd8b9c">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok Ladies, I don't know why everything here turned as if I'm doing something so horribly wrong on purpose. First off, in our culture, it doesn't matter who pays, the parents are always the hosts and gets first dibs on who to invite. THis whole "you pay you host" is a north american thing, and I understand that. That was not the problem I was seeking help for. (2) fbil had plenty of time to speak up about her, but he decided that giving me the silent treatment was more important. (3) the restaurant has rules as to how many people can be in each room, due to fire regulations. We already put a deposit down on it, and everyone that we were aware about fit perfectly until fbil sprung this on us. (4) i guess we can look for another venue, but we loose our deposit. (5) i just really needed someone to have my back, for once. I'm tired of being treated like crap by his family and then having to give up the things that are important to me as to not step on their toes.

1) Etiquette is etiquette, no matter what the culture.

2) Did he really give you the silent treatment? Or did he just not even think you would be so rude as to not invite his GF so he didn't think it was necessary to ask for her to be invited when told about the party?

3) Maybe your parents, FI's parents, and FI shouldn't have spouted off about the location and event until invitations actually went out. Why did they tell everyone about it in the first place?

4) I sort of agree with Rachers in that you should just invite everyone. Odds are not all 31 people are going to show.

5) We're a bunch of strangers on an internet forum. What made you think we were going to "have your back", especially on the etiquette board?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:ae6beea7-00c6-4d37-b052-c41a06dbe9b6">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know? : That's true, FI and I didn't have one. No one offered, actually I was kind of relieved.
    Posted by mari0225[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm not having any other kind of pre-wedding party. </div><div>
    </div><div>Where we're from, an engagement party is just as important as the wedding, and it's meant to be a very close and intimate gathering (people don't bring dates or anything to this since it's usually family-only... when fsil got married I wasn't invited and we had already been dating for 2 years, and I had know the family for 10 years).</div>
  • Options
    I agree with Rachers, I mean chances are something will come up and one or two of those people won't be able to make it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:a73a6b33-b874-4fa8-aa32-0b5783bd8b9c">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE](5) <strong>i just really needed someone to have my back, for once</strong>. I'm tired of being treated like crap by his family and then having to give up the things that are important to me as to not step on their toes.

That is FI's job.  If his family completely rail-roaded the guest list and you don't like it then your FI needs to have your back and say "woah, parents, Andra doesn't even have a single person on this guest list, do you really need all these people to be there?"

You say you have to cut your friends b/c everyone else has already been invited - I'm a little confused by this.  Either invitations have gone out or they haven't.  If really truly EVERY other person on the guest list has been told about this party then yes, you need to cut one of your friends.  If not you need to work with FI to decide who will be cut b/c if FBIL is invited so is his gf.  Or you could have your friend and tell your FI to stay home, would that be better?  Oh, don't want to attend a party without your SO?  how weird.....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_intimate-engagement-party-not-inviting-fbils-gf-that-we-dont-really-know?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9ec9368-7f78-4bb1-9ab0-17525d9a2605Post:5b6a0df8-7ca1-438e-b57b-639990e62ad4">Re: Intimate engagement party- not inviting fbil's gf that we don't really know?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does the venue have a larger room you could move the party to?  That seems to be the simplest solution to me. If not, how far out is the engagement party?  Do you have time to search for another venue?
    Posted by Holly4212011[/QUOTE]

<div>Unfortunately our room is already the largest, the only offered to put us in 2 smaller rooms which would split up the entire party. We'll look for a different venue, it's just that I hate that we lost the deposit and wish that fbil would have spoken up before... he had months to mention her.</div>
  • Options
    You knew about his GF in September. He was giving you the silent treatment, so you should have just assumed they were still together. In that case, if you were wrong, you would have just had an extra seat or one less person to pay for. Now you are having to give up a friend to accomodate for a SO.

I'm sorry his family treats you badly, but this isn't the way to go about rectifying that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards