Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Tacky or Practical?

So I know traditionally it is very bad etiquette to put your registry information in your invitations, but why then does Bed, Bath, and Beyond give me 150 inserts of their cards to put in our invitations, with our names on it, letting people know we are registered there?  I have been invited to several weddings where the bride and groom have included their registry information and it just seems much more practical to me than anything.  I understand not wanting to seem gift-grabby and selfish, but at the same time how then will you let guests know (aside from word-of-mouth which is a bit difficult since my family is spread all over the country) where to buy you crap?  Especially for older guests who may not go online to check your wedding website?  What do you all think - tacky or practical? 

Re: Tacky or Practical?

• Options
    You can always throw in an "info" card with your invitations that has your/your mother's phone number for any questions about the wedding. That way, people will know who to contact when they want to find out where you are registered.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    [QUOTE] but why then does Bed, Bath, and Beyond give me 150 inserts of their cards to put in our invitations, with our names on it, letting people know we are registered there? [/QUOTE]

advertising
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010
    We didn't use the cards WS gave us, and people still managed to find the registry.  And we got cash gifts.  We got some random stuff, but that would have happened regardless...

Recent Example:  A cousin's wife is having a baby. 

I imagined that there was a shower even though I wasn't invited because I live in another country.  And they probably didn't want to look gift-grabby by inviting me since I couldn't make it.  But I still wanted to get them something.  So I CALLED HIS MOTHER and asked where they were registered.  Simple ;)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tacky-practical?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f56c04b8-e136-4c54-be65-4e4089b4b205Post:5e679617-ce4c-47cf-b69b-5eef525e8e75">Tacky or Practical?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I know traditionally it is very bad etiquette to put your registry information in your invitations, but why then does Bed, Bath, and Beyond give me 150 inserts of their cards to put in our invitations, with our names on it, letting people know we are registered there?  I have been invited to several weddings where the bride and groom have included their registry information and it just seems much more practical to me than anything.  I understand not wanting to seem gift-grabby and selfish, but at the same time how then will you let guests know (aside from word-of-mouth which is a <strong>bit difficult since my family is spread all over the country</strong>) where to buy you crap?  Especially for older guests who may not go online to check your wedding website?  What do you all think - tacky or practical? 
    Posted by HannahBrombal[/QUOTE]
    Do they not have access to phones? Word of mouth works just as well over the phone. Still tacky.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    My family is also spread all over the country. And I promise they would be appalled if I included registry information in my invitations. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    You know that it is bad etiquette. It's up to you to decide to follow it or not. I really don't care what you do, I'm not going to your wedding, but know that some guests may be bothered.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    We registered there as well, and I recall them telling us that those little cards were intended to be inserted in the shower invitations, but I could be wrong.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It's tacky... Plain and simple. It might seem "practical" but it surely is not. They mail you the cards so that you can basically advertise for them. If you chose to do this, then fine--but, be warned, it could offend some guests.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    [QUOTE](aside from word-of-mouth which is a bit difficult since my family is spread all over the country) where to buy you crap?[/QUOTE]

Crap is free, BTW, but I'm guessing you would rather have presents that you can use rather than crap.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    I don't think it's 100% tacky. Before I got engaged I had no idea you could google people's names and find their registries. When I first received invites that didn't have an enclosure about the registry I assumed they weren't registered anywhere. (I've been to 2 weddings in my life and never been to one in my family.)When I get an invite and I don't know the parents or bridal party I have to call the bride directly which I find to be an odd charade. I don't think you should put registry info right on the invites but a hint to where to find it could only be helpful. As for older guests I can see them possibly being more offended but I think there are cases (especially when you invite extended family) where its not as easy as picking up the phone.
  • Options
    I can think of a million things that are practical but poor etiquette,  rise above it
  • Options
    Tacky. Period.
  • Options
    Tacky is an understatement.  The word you are looking for is rude.

If people want to know, they will ask.  It's not rocket science.  If they can't figure it out, they'll write you a check.  Hardly the end of the world.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tacky-practical?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f56c04b8-e136-4c54-be65-4e4089b4b205Post:0f5cd871-43da-4e00-8e7b-9442c9dd7ebe">Re: Tacky or Practical?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Crap is free, BTW, but I'm guessing you would rather have presents that you can use rather than crap.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Just a small joke.  And it is totally the decision of those attending my wedding whether or not they would want to buy me anything.  My thought was just that the majority of them will be, so why not make it easier on them?  All I meant and was curious what other knotties were doing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards