New Jersey
Options

Vegetarian entree as a choice?

Just something I've noticed:

I've seen a lot of weddings menus where it lists the tableside choices, or the pre-selected choices on the RSVP card - beef, chicken, fish, whatever - and then it says "Vegetarian entree available upon request."

So if you can request an eggplant dish the same way that you would a beef or a chicken dish, why isn't the eggplant listed as a regular entree choice then?

I can understand if everyone's getting the same chicken or duet plate and they have some vegetarian dishes set aside for those who need them. I'm referring to instances where you have a choice of meat/fish entrees.

Re: Vegetarian entree as a choice?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Because then you have to make the vegetarian as a choice and take away a fish, chicken, or meat.  More of your guests are likely to choose those than the vegetarian.
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Exactly what caketime said. Most times you get a choice of 3. They are doing you a favor by also offering a veg meal so you dont have to make a Veg meal on of your main choices.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    sometimes they arent prepared to serve 50 vegetarian dishes like they would a chicken or beef dish, so thats why i think its not mentioned on the menu card...

veg's know that they are to request this - im sure they are used to it.

we had a fish and veg dish but i didnt put this on the menu card for that reason...anyone who asked or requeste it, it was there for them
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think its because they dont have enough prepared for all that would order it as a choice.  I am a veg and know to ask for it and many times it comes out looking way better than some of the meat entrees.  People always say I wish i knew I could order that. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_vegetarian-entree-choice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9f26ddb0-6e70-43fb-97c9-6d18cef243d9Post:8487195f-0b6b-4155-a48d-1c8c1789310f">Re: Vegetarian entree as a choice?</a>:
    [QUOTE] veg's know that they are to request this - im sure they are used to it.
    Posted by cher1980[/QUOTE]

We are ;-)

And most of the time they're *terrible.* You wouldn't want tehm as a regular entree, trust me.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    lol... ffbride, we've had *completely* opposite experiences ;-P
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_vegetarian-entree-choice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9f26ddb0-6e70-43fb-97c9-6d18cef243d9Post:140ce050-c442-4d4f-a3ee-13100a0a5061">Re: Vegetarian entree as a choice?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think its because they dont have enough prepared for all that would order it as a choice.  I am a veg and know to ask for it and many times it comes out looking way better than some of the meat entrees.  People always say I wish i knew I could order that. 
    Posted by ffbride_0813[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm a picky eater, not a vegetarian (although I don't eat red meat or pork), and I usually order a vegetarian entree because banquet hall chicken is typically gross and covered with sauces or stuffed with stuff that I don't like.  People always say to me that they wish they knew they could order it too :)</div><div>
    </div><div>I don't think I've ever seen "vegetarian entree available upon request" on a wedding/event menu -- but there always is one.</div>
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I listed it on my menu as a fourth choice. ::shrug:: I wanted people to know what it was.

I'm the same as Victoria, sometimes I order the vegetarian entree just because, but I like to know what it is first, so I guess that's why I did it on my menu.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually put my vegetarian option on my menu under the two main entrees listed as vegetarian option:xxx.  I can't imagine that too many people would choose gnocchi over filet mignon or salmon, but I figured I would present that as an option just in case. My venue reviewed my menu and was okay with it, so why not?
    My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 4/10, Dx: MFI IVF planned for April/May
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm putting it on my menu as available upon request, just so the vegs - or people who don't like my entree selections - know the option is there for them.   
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_vegetarian-entree-choice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9f26ddb0-6e70-43fb-97c9-6d18cef243d9Post:76cbece0-ce06-4252-a401-c28d157ee0e8">Re: Vegetarian entree as a choice?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'm the same as Victoria, sometimes I order the vegetarian entree just because, but I like to know what it is first, so I guess that's why I did it on my menu.
    Posted by melissa82[/QUOTE]

<div>That's fair.  There are some vegetarian entrees that I wouldn't prefer, but as a fake vegetarian I am always too scared to ask "What's the vegetarian entree?" (since it isn't listed) and then order the chicken.  </div>
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, that's it exactly. 

I also want to know about sauces/what's in it and I'd rather read it than make the server recite to me or have to go check with the kitchen, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    just Jen, I have had my fair share of horrible ones too.  Maybe its more like 50/50 good/ horrible.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards