North Carolina
Options

Credit Cards

I have a savings account with all the money we are using for the wedding. I'd like to build up credit so I was thinking about getting a credit card and using it for the wedding since I can pay it off as soon as I get the bill. 

Any recommendations on credit cards with low interest rates and all that fun stuff?

Re: Credit Cards

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Discover card! cash back on every purchase, and bonus cash back if you shop online through the discover website, you can get 10 to 15% cash back on those purchases.  Then, you can use the extra $$ for more wedding stuff!! 

They have a discover "more" card too. Check it out online to find the one that fits your purchasing needs the best. 

Edit: I also have a Bank of America worldpoints mastercard.  It earns points around the 1 point per dollar mark, with benefits if you get in certain categories like restaurants or grocery stores or whatever the promotion is.  You can redeem the points for merchandise, which is nice to get gifts for people. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I need to build/rebuild mine and I want one that offers airline miles. That way I can use them someday for my future honeymoon.
  • Options
    katheriner89katheriner89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was just starting off with no credit, they wouldn't let me get a credit card, so be careful. The lady at the bank told me if you apply for too many credit cards, it can hurt your credit, even if you don't have any yet. She told me to get a "starter loan" & just make payments every month, for like a year. Then when I purchased my house (had a co-signer) She told me to get a bank of america secured credit card. It's stupid (you have to pay $300 for the card, and $300 is your limit, you still make payments as usual)
    But after a year of that I'm getting regular credit card things in the mail.. it's so annoying though.

Good Luck :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have things in my name (student loans and rent) and an "good" credit score (on a scale from very bad to excellent, I'm in the middle) but I applied for a Discover student card and got denied. :[

Now I don't know what to doooo.
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Talk to your bank.  Are you a credit union member?  Things like bills and rent in your name don't really "count" since they're things that everyone's expected to pay, they don't actually help you build credit (even though not paying them can hurt your credit). 

A secured credit card is another option (as pp said).  I think they are available in higher denominations as well.

www.bankrate.com is a good resource to start shopping around for cards if you have a good credit history (different from good credit).

I freakin' hate the credit market right now.  It's nearly impossible for people with no credit history to establish credit. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My Mom insisted I get a credit card when I turned 18. Big mistake. On top of that I had a small chunk of student loans that were just paid off. What about a store credit card? I've thought about getting one for Kohls. You can pay the balance right at the register.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm only getting it to pay for wedding stuff, since I have all that money saved up already. I guess I'll just call my bank and see if they can help me out.

I hate the credit market too, pirate!
  • Options
    Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how to get around the having no credit to begin with and getting denied...but as far as what cards are good, if you plan on doing any international traveling, Capital One does not charge any conversion fee for using your card in a place where it gets charged under a different currency.  Most of the others (Citibank, BOA) charge at least 3% -- so if you use your card to buy something for 5 Euro, when the credit card converts that 5 Euro into US dollars they add 3% to it.  I specifically got a Capital One card before our honeymoon for that reason.  It doesn't give any points or anything though...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards