New Jersey

Anyone put a carseat in your limo?

If we bring out flower girl (and possibly ring bearer) in the limo, they would need car seats. I was told my mino companies this is doable, but if any of you have done this, how did it turn out? Did the limo company install the seat or did you have to? Was it time consuming? Did it seem safe? Did you wish you hadn't? My flower girl will be 2 1/2 and my nephew who may be a ring bearer (we will wait and see closer to the wedding) will be 16 mo old. My sister (their mom) is my MOH, so if they dont go in the limo, my brother in law is stuck driving both of them alone, but if we have both of them in the limo, thats a lot of work on my sister as well. Not really sure what would be best. Thanks!

Re: Anyone put a carseat in your limo?

• edited December 2011
    Limos are in the same category as buses and most do not have seatbelts.  If they do have them, and you do want to bring the child and car seat in the limo, per the guidlines of the car seat manufacturers you HAVE to put the seat in the rear seats that face forward (not the side facing ones).  This is typically where the bride / groom sit because it's close to the door and the most comfy for the bride in her dress.

I would opt out of doing this, and have someone take the kids in a normal car that can follow the limo.  I think lugging car seats and finding a way to install it will be a headache.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with User thats way more work for everyone involved. I'm sure your BIL is ok driving the kids on his own and I would imagine there are other friends/family willing to help if necessary.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't see how it's a lot of work for your BIL....they will be strapped in seats and he will be driving.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also kids not being strapped in is a REALLY bad idea. I remember that horror story a few years ago that I won't share but it was terrible so putting them in their own car is the safest thing.
  • edited December 2011
    you dont know my BIL- he tends to make these things into big deals, so I was hoping to avoid that...oh well
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_anyone-put-carseat-limo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:c43733f1-4c1c-4aa1-92a3-7ec62a02c670Post:e7bb4a86-0a4f-4e22-acb0-dcd71ebb3911">Re: Anyone put a carseat in your limo?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also kids not being strapped in is a REALLY bad idea. I remember that horror story a few years ago that I won't share but it was terrible so putting them in their own car is the safest thing.
    Posted by Laurms15[/QUOTE]

<font color="#008080">Ohmygosh, I think I remember that.... the flower girl was beheaded.... right?
    Oh god, so awful, can't even imagine.....
    Yes ~ definitely agree to leave the kids out of the limo & have them ride in their regular car seats!!!!!! If your BIL gives you a hard time, google the news article for him!</font>
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, even with car seats there are too many projectiles in the limo that are not strapped down, it's just not safe...glasses, bottles, people,etc.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • edited December 2011

I have the same situation. My sister is my MOH and my ring bearer (her son) will have turned 2 three days before our wedding. I also have my other seven nieces and nephew in our wedding too. We opted against having kids in the limo. I figure the whole bridal party will want to have fun and I want my sisters to be able to have a break from being moms and have fun as well. Also, I don't really want my nieces and nephews in the limo while everyone is drinking. I don't want people to have to censor themselves while they're celebrating! Not that I'm expecting things to get crazy, but you know what I mean. ANYWAY... I would definitely let your BOL take the baby and let your sister let her hair down for one day. I'm sure she'd appreciate it!

• edited December 2011
    We aren't bringing any kids in the limo. We are going to take pics somewhere, which is why we need a limo (our ceremony and reception are at the same place) but FI and I both agreed we do not want to be responsible for any children - crying, having to go to the bathroom, running around, fighting with each other, falling down and hurting themselves, etc...who knows what can happen (not that any of this would happen...but we'd just rather avoid running the risk of these situations happening). I think it's better to let the parents be responsible for their children.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I personally wouldn't do it.  Ask your BIL to drive them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    At those ages I would let your BIL drive them and not bother with the carseats in the limo - we had 6 kids in the BP and they all came in the limo with no carseat but the youngest was 4.  Prior to the wedding I contacted the state police to check on the carseat law and was told that if the children are seating in the seat behind the driver or the forward facing seat at the back of the limo they have to be in carseats, if they are seated in the side seats no carseats are required so for us we felt the kids were old enough to go without the carseats but with a 2 1/2  yr old and especially an 16 month old I would not trust that and I would say your BIL should just follow behind you in their own vehicle.
    M-43 DOR (FSH 20 AMH 0.16, AFC 4-6) Endo stage III DH-42 (low everything)
    TTC #1 unofficially since 6/09, officially since 10/10
    6/11 RE testing,rt tube blocked with hydro, 8/11 lap surgery rt tl
    IVF#1 10/11 Estrace,450 Follistim, 15 units low-dose HCG, DHEA - cancelled (only follie growing)
    IVF#2 started stims 11/4/11 - same protocol, increase in concentration of HCG, added CoQ10, no response, cancelled on CD 12
    12/2/11 began accupuncture; Break in Dec. Next cycle anticipated in Jan.
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • edited December 2011
    honestly i think everyone here is overreacting a bit. if you ask the children's parents to install the car seats it will take all of two minutes to do and really isn't a big deal. most parents know how to install their kids seats quickly and easily.

DH and I didn't use a limo for our wedding (ceremony and reception in the same place) but if we did have a limo we would definitely had children in our limo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_anyone-put-carseat-limo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:c43733f1-4c1c-4aa1-92a3-7ec62a02c670Post:7b630db2-0ec3-4cfd-8384-8f71bcd0d25e">Re: Anyone put a carseat in your limo?</a>:
    [QUOTE]honestly i think everyone here is overreacting a bit. if you ask the children's parents to install the car seats it will take all of two minutes to do and really isn't a big deal. most parents know how to install their kids seats quickly and easily. DH and I didn't use a limo for our wedding (ceremony and reception in the same place) but if we did have a limo we would definitely had children in our limo.
    Posted by allforyou[/QUOTE]

I think you are missing the point.  The only place to intall the car seats is the seats in back facing forward.  This is typically where the bride and groom sit because it's close to the door and offers the most room for the brides dress.  So now, the bride / groom have to be cramped into the side facing seats.  Also, when the limo arrives, someone has to deal with taking the seats out and putting them somewhere = PIA.

Last, even though the kids are strapped in, the adults are not, making them projectiles if there was an accident.

There will probably be drinking and partying in the limo, loud music,etc I don't know, it's just not a place for a 16 month old.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards