Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Knot Tying Ceremony (Not Hand Fasting)

My FI and I are gung-ho about tying a Triple Fisherman's Knot (past, present, future) at our cermeony. I can't find any info about knot tying ceremonies, other than Celtic Hand Fasting, which we don't want to do. Does anyone have any wording or other information about knot tying ceremonies?

I have found a few things:
http://www.cheydesign.com/cheybio/faq.html
http://rosealamode.com/what-do-you-wear-to-a-may-wedding/
http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/anyone-done-tying-the-knot-ceremony
My only problem with these ceremonies is that our mothers would be giving us the ropes, and my mom isn't going to be present at the wedding. My dad will be giving me away and he will be my only parent there. I would rather our officant give us the ropes and say something about us coming together and combing our past, present and future, or something similar.

Anyinformation would be helpful and largely appreciated. :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Knot Tying Ceremony (Not Hand Fasting)

• Options
    My friend did something similar (they made a braid instead of a knot). I'd just adapt the ceremonies that you're finding to what you're doing. Their officiant said something about each strand of the braid being past, present, and future, and held onto it while they braided. I don't know where they found the ceremony, but I honestly think he made up the wording. He explained what everything was, and then just let them go at the braiding, not saying anything until they finished it. He also can totally be the one giving you the rope, it seems like the easiest way. It looks like a really cool idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for responding! I think I will email our officiant to tell her I can't find any specific ceremonies that go with the fisherman's knot, but I'll send her the directions on how to tie the knot and maybe we can make up the wording for the ceremony. It makes me feel better to know that someone else had a successful "knot tying" (or braiding) ceremony. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Was your officiant any helpful with the ceremony words? I'm going through the same issues as you were...
  • Options
    I'm wanting to do this also, but havent really researched into it yet. We were thinking of doing the fishermans knot. I like the 3 idea
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sl5s0fEB30

Hi I am a wedding planner in Richmond VA and in looking for information on Handfasting I found your post. I started looking into the fisherman's knot too. I found this link on how to tie the knot. I would have the rope up at the alter and have your officiant present the rope to the you. Then, have him/her explain that instead of lighting a unity candle to symbolize the two of you coming together as one, you have chosen to " Tie the Knot ". Then, you can tie your end then he can tie his end at the alter. as you are doing this have the officiant explain that you are tying a triple fisherman’s knot, representing the past that brought you two together. the present moment of this union and the future you two plan together from this day forward. that although the fisherman's knot is one of the simplest knots to tie, it is also one of the strongest. that the rope its self will break before the knot will. Then, facing the officiant or the guests pull the rope together becoming one.  later you can trim the ends and frame it in a nice shadow box framed on the mat that well wishers have signed. 

Hope this helps.

~Amber

• Options
    I too was having trouble finding wording I liked! Here is what I came up with for my summer wedding after searching on all the sites--

Rev: Bride and Groom decided to do a little something different.

(to whoever is holding the ropes.. )May we now have the cords? (bring forth one each to them)

Today, ___ and ___ will actually be tying the knot! They will be making the true lovers knot which is the strongest there is; it will not break, and will only become stronger when under pressure.  The rope itself will break before the knot comes undone (they begin tying the knot as she says the next part). These two cords represent your past,  your own individual and separate lives before today. As you intertwine your pieces, you are joining your two lives into one, representing the present. The finished knot symbolizes your future, and how your love and marriage will continue to be strong despite any trials life may throw your way.

Hope this may help someone else!

• Options
    I am using this at my ceremony, I hope it helps!

TYING OF UNITY "LOVE KNOT"
    (officiant asks the mothers for the cords.)
    "May we now have the cords."
    (grooms's mother stands and hands him a cord. She returns to her seat.)
    (bride's mother stands and hands her a cord. She returns to her seat.)
    (officiant prompts the tying of the knot.)
    "Groom and Bride, these two lengths of cord represent your separate families and individual lives before today. I ask that you each take one piece, and that together you bind them in a true lovers' knot. Tying this knot signifies that your two families and your two lives are now and forever bound together as one.
    (Groom and Bride tie the knot!)
    (Officiant summons knot bearer to retrieve the knot.)
    (Knot bearer comes up and Groom and Bride place knot in box.)
    (Knot bearer closes box and returns to his seat.)

• Options
    Thanks JulieShaf87! Exactly what I was looking for!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards