Maine
Options

EASTLAND HOTEL and BETHEL INN

We are considering these two places for our reception. Has anyone held their wedding, or attended one at either of these places? I would greatly appreciate your feedback.Im going back to the Bethel Inn to refresh my memory this weekend. The Eastland I just saw....one thing I did notice is the ballroom has no windows :(  Im thinking it may be a little dark....thoughts?

Re: EASTLAND HOTEL and BETHEL INN

• Options
    Torir911Torir911 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was at a very large wedding at the Eastland on July 18th. It was beautiful and very well organized. There wasn't any windows in the ballroom, but if you're having an evening wedding you're really not missing out on much (just think of what you'd have views of if there were windows... High St, Parking garage... Park St... not exactly in a pretty area of Portland). Better off without windows *lol* They do dim the lights, but there were candles EVERYWHERE and the band that was hired had lights on the dancefloor too. Nobody was stumbling arond due to lack of light. I went to another wedding there when I was 13... I remember being VERY impressed with it back then, too :) I would never deter anybody from having a wedding there-- just keep an eye out on your cardbox because I know that was stolen at my cousin's wedding when I was 13... but that was 12 years ago so a lot has probably changed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to point out the post below about the $500 gift certificate to the Bethel Inn.  Not sure if it has been claimed, but just wanted to mention it.  
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • Options
    jdenormandiejdenormandie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What $500 certificate? How do I find that?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was an Eastland Park Bride last September and we just loved it. I agree that you don't want windows in the ballroom ( I don't know many that have windows unless there is some amazing view) We had an evening wedding, with TONS of candles, the band had lights as well, and it was perfect. I don't remember thinking that it was dark or anything, also our pictures came out awesome and weren't dark or anything, but I'm assuming that is b/c our photographer had the right flashes etc... Jasmine does a great job, we had no issues what so ever. Our card box was safe and sound:) You can ask to go see a wedding from the balcony and see for yourself, I did it a few times to get an idea for things, and to show  my parents the ballroom. GL
    image The way life should be-
  • Options
    EliseOliviaEliseOlivia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The weddings at the Bethel Inn are so beautiful. I love the area around it! I always wanted to have my wedding there but they are very out of my price range.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    6 posts before yours is a post from thumbelina115. She apparently had her wedding at the Bethel Inn and they sent her a $500 gift certificate to give to anyone else interested in having a wedding there. Check it out! Also, I love the Eastland. If I had the budget for it, that's probably where I would have gotten married.
  • Options
    AngelSmittyAngelSmitty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got married at the Eastland on July 25th and it was amazing...I couldn't have asked for more!!!  They do a special popping of the champagne and a flambe presentation and there is plenty of lighting, especially with the amount of candles they use.  Jasmine helps make sure everything is stress free and the card box and all of your presents are taken from the cocktail hour room up to your room while you're at the reception so you don't have to worry about it!  Everyone kept mentioning how they were having such a great time and how yummy the food was.  If I could do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing~the Eastland was absolutely wonderful!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just an FYI that you can opt out of the flambe thing and the champagne poppting cork thing, we didn't do the champagne thing, but my Dad and DH rallied against me and had the flambe thing, and it actually wasn't bad, everyone loved it.
    image The way life should be-
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah everyone LOVED the flambe presentation!! I was so happy we had done the champagne cork pop too b/c it made such a fun statement lol It was after we were introduced and sat down and they made an annoucement to let dinner begin and POP, all my guests looked around and were like OOH!  haha loved it!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kay0003kay0003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a warning-  I went to look at Bethel Inn about a month ago.  My finace and I drove 2 hours to see the venue.  We had a 1pm appointment and when we got there the front desk told us the wedding coordinator had just stepped out but should be back shortly.  After waiting for 30 minutes we realized if the wedding coordinator was going to flake out on our appointment, we probably didn't want her working with us to organize our big day!  We left, and although the coordinator had my phone number and address, she never reached out to me to reschedule or explain her absense.  I've been to 2 weddings at EAstland Park, both beautiful!
  • Options
    mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live about 5 minutes from the Bethel Inn. Its beautiful there and they do a very good job. Their food is very good & they have a gazebo on the common right in front where lots of people get married. Bethels a beautiful town, we're getting married right up the road at the Artists Covered Bridge in Newry. If you have any questions feel free to ask, Ive had lots of experience with them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies. We went and looked at the Bethel Inn a second time this weekend, and we hope to get another look lined up for the Eastland in the coming days. So hopefully we will have a decision very soon. In the meantime, just to make things complicated, we may try to find an affordable way to look into a ski lodge wedding. We are both big skiers and actually got engaged on a mountain. So far all the options have been too expensive, so Im not focusing too much of my time researching it.BTW-is there a way to contact users on a indivual basis? I have some questions for a few of you, but I thought direct communication might be best. Im kinda new at this site and am still figuring this stuff out. THANKS!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked into Sunday River? They are kind of pricey but theyre really good to work with & they might be able to work with you & with a budget. The Jordan Grand is my favorite of the lodges up there & like I said before Im getting married on the covered bridge which is right off of the road to the Jordan. Its beautiful in all seasons, Im not sure when youre getting married, but summer/fall is their slow & cheaper season because theres no snow or tourists. There are also several private houses in that area that do weddings, again kind of pricey but some of them have movie theaters in them & everything. They all look right at the the ski mountains too. If you have any questions for me let me know, Ive lived in the Bethel area forever.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    feel free to email me with any questions u might have about the Eastland   angelsmitty@hotmail.com  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We also looked at the ski places (Sunday River, Saddleback, Sugarloaf) and found them too expensive. But we actually stumbled across Shawnee Peak in Bridgton, and their wedding packages are very affordable. It's not as fancy as the other places, but it works for us. It's also right on a lake, which is very pretty! They've got all kinds of info on their website: [url]http://www.shawneepeak.com/programs/group_functions.php?slider=weddings#switcher2-title[/url]You could also check into the Camden Snow Bowl. They rent out for weddings too. I've never been there, but from what I've heard, it's very pretty. You can even rent the chairlift and shuttle everyone to the top of the mountain for the ceremony! [url]http://www.camdensnowbowl.com/facilityrentals.cfm[/url].Lost Valley does weddings too, but I've heard mixed things about them.FI and I recently went up to the Bethel area and had dinner at a very nice restaurant right near Sunday River called the Phoenix House and Well. They rent for weddings too, but I don't know their prices. Could be cheaper than Sunday River, and you could still have the wedding near a ski resort. [url]http://www.phoenixhouseandwell.com/weddings.php[/url] If you want more info about Shawnee Peak, you can email me at willandmindy @ gmail dot com.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, not all the line breaks came through on that last post!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MaineMommy,I love the covered bridge in Newry!!! I actually thought about having the ceremony there...its soooo beautiful, but I don't want people to travel far to the reception and Jordan bowl seemed too pricey for what we're trying to do. May I ask where you are having your reception? We are looking at a list of about 125-145. Unfortunately, none of my family in the area has a spot that could accommodate a party ,or at least without doing beau coup maintenance first :).Please give me your email address if its ok for me to email you directly. Thanks!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My email is jennilwhitman@yahoo.com, feel free to email me with any questions youve got =)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just thought I'd tell all you Eastland brides... Jasmine contacted us today, her last day will be Friday so we will not have the option of working with her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards