Maine

Is there anything missing on the check list?

Hello Ladies, 
 I am nearing the 200 day mark and running a little behind on my knot to-do list. I have been using on the list and whatever else I can think of to guide my wedding planning but now I am getting nervous that I will some how overlook something. Is there anything that you might have noticed that wasn't covered thouroughly by the knot.com to-do list? Is there anything I should do earlier/ can get away with doing later on the list? Is it crazy that I still haven't officially booked an officiant with less than 7 months to go? Starting to wonder if all the little things will come together and if I have forgotten any of the big things...

Re: Is there anything missing on the check list?

• edited December 2011
    I found one of the things that the "to do" lists didn't cover was logistics.  I found it helpful to mentally walk through the day as in - what time will we wake up, what is the schedule for hair/makeup, etc and padding that timeline tremendously.  I did this in hopes of having a less stressful day of and it worked, for the most part.

I also walked through the day from the perspective of my guests.  What time they show up, what they see, what they will feel (will it be hot, cold, sunny, etc) and how they would transition through the day.  I then added little touches here and there to improve their experience and the feedback was great on those things. 

Your 200 days will fly by!  Enjoy it all!
    Married 9.4.11
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto to what Chrispy said - I actually put it all in writing for myself and the rest of the WP.  Most were grateful that they didn't have to remember when to be places, they had it in writing.  Granted, that's something that you will probably do closer to the big day when everything else is finalized.

If you have little projects that you're going to do, or any DIY stuff, I would start it as early as possible.  The check-list doesn't really talk about making things.  It just suggests when you should order things.  Since I was doing my own invites, flowers, etc., I passed over those things too often and had a lot to do when the time came that I needed them.

Is there a reason why you are waiting to book your officiant?  I know I was instantly relaxed when all of my big vendors were booked.  I wouldn't say it's a bad thing that you haven't booked one yet, but I'd definitely make sure you're in the research process and if you find someone you do want, try to book them ASAP so you don't end up losing them to someone else.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto to crispy and hcorrigan. I also did the itinerary for the entire weekend (from the bachelor party on Thursday to the breakfast on Sunday) for us and the wedding party and sent it out like a week before the day. I emphasized that they didn't have to attend everything but everyone was so grateful for it. One of my bridesmaids told me it was the best part of the wedding because she had been an MOH for a bride who didn't do that a few weeks prior and the day was so chaotic. The bride had no clue what was going on.

I also agree with crispy on the part about looking at it from the guests perspectives. I thought about things I noticed when I had gone to weddings in the past and made sure I had accounted for them.

Also, I actually didn't end up booking an officiant until about 1 month before our wedding due to some weird circumstances. I wouldn't fret too much about it, but I would definitely look into it soon. I got myself into the situation that if the officant I wanted couldn't do it, I probably would have been screwed.

I would also say that the last few weeks is when you check a lot of stuff off the list because some of the stuff is the little stuff you need to take care of. Make sure you have the big items checked off and you'll feel better.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! I think I will call back the officiant I have already spoke with over the phone now that I got a new job and my schedule is pretty consistent and I should be able to schedule a time to meet with her. As for the day off stuff I started researching that when my photographer started telling me how much time she will need for shoots...Seems like I will be waking up to hair and makeup but thats ok with me! I will probably have to plan that closer to the actual day but for now I think I should work on a few more of the big things, like making the call to the officiant, and 48 long stems to order my flowers, maybe start looking at cakes with the baker... and get together with my mom about helping me send out save the dates to my huge family! geez I am so glad there is a checklist because with all this stuff it starts to get jumbled!

• edited December 2011
    Does anyone have a link to a generic, or specific, day-of schedule that you might of used to base your own day-of schedule off of? I probably won't get to this for a while but I don't want to be late...I'm late for everything!
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't use an example for mine.  I worked backwards from the time that we needed to arrive at the ceremony location. 

I know your a ways off from this, but if possible, I would build in extra time for things.  Even an extra 10 or 15 for a few different things will give you a buffer zone.  My mother was late getting dressed (I wanted to kill her), and caused us to leave the hotel 15 minutes late, which cut into our picture taking time.  My flower girl (3 years old) was being a bit of a challenge and she made pictures take a bit longer.  In hindsight, I would have planned to leave the hotel at 1 instead of 1:30, and none of this would have been a problem.  I had planned on 30 minutes of pictures before we had to get in the limo to go up to the ceremony location at Fort Williams, but we only had about 10-15, which I was disappointed about.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the tips...I guess I will just have to chat latter with my photographer and hairdresser to figure out how much time they think they will need. Luckily I am sure we will have many conversations about it because they are my cousin and my "second mum"!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards