Maine

head table questions

We have a total of 12 people who would need to sit at the head table (that includes us).  Any ideas on the best layout?  We are traditional enough to want the long head table, but that seems weird for 12 people - you'll really only get to talk to the people on either side of you.  I know we will be up and about most of the night and only sitting for dinner, but what about the bridal party?  Our coordinator suggested a 12 person round table, but we definitely don't like that - too crowded and backs to the room.  We also don't really want to do a sweetheart because we want to be with our bridal party.  Any suggestions??

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: head table questions

• edited December 2011
    I agree that a long table of 12 could be kind of awkward.  I don't really think a u-shape would work, although maybe depending on the layout of the room, you could have you, FI, MOH, BM (+ dates) on the main part of the "u" and then the bridesmaids and groomsmen down the sides.  You said you didn't want ot do a sweetheart table, but it seems like if you did a sweetheart table with two smaller round tables on each side for your attendants and FI's attendants, that would put you closer to them than if you did a long table.  

Are you planning to sit the bridal party's dates with them?  I feel like as a guest of someone in the bridal party, you already feel more like a tag-a-long and less like an actual guest, and then separating the couples just makes that feeling worse for the dates.  I know that's not what you asked, but that will affect how you sit everyone.  

• edited December 2011

Most of our party is couples (the wife is on my side and the husband on his) so there are only 3 dates not already in the party.  Since they all know others at the wedding, we were just going to have them sit at guest tables.  The more I think about it, the more i think a sweetheart table is the way to go.  My mother hates them and thinks it looks like we are being antisocial.  I'd sit with the BM and MOH (plus SOs), but my MOH is one sister and that would leave my other sister at a different table which doesn't seem fair.  is that okay?  Ugh, I hate wedding politics!! :-)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You know your sisters--if the sister who's not MOH will be insulted if you don't sit with her, then you shouldn't go with that plan, but, if not, that sounds ok. 

I like the idea of a sweetheart table.  You don't really have time to have a big social meal, you would probably be eating quickly and getting up anyway.  As long as you don't sit at the table all night by yourselves, I don't think it looks antisocial.  I wanted to have one, but FI was opposed, so we are going to sit with our siblings at a round table and have our parents each host a table on either side of us with grandparents and aunts and uncles.  Or at least that's the plan right now.  We don't have a wedding party, and we have enough siblings (+ their dates, if applicable) to fill a 10 or 12 person round table. 
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a long table with people sitting on both sides, except for in front of me and my FI.  So intead of seating 10 people, we are going to have 18 people at the table.  We will still be able to be seen, but it will allow the dates of our bridal party to sit with us as well, and we'll be able to interact with more people during dinner. 
    Married 9.4.11
  • schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    depending on how your venue is set up.....what about a 'head' table that is in the corner with you and your husband at the point of the V

...i dunno i think a sweetheart table is the way to go. Eating is a mere 20 min at the most! then you will spend the rest of the night with others. Ive herd it is a special moment that you and your husband get and then the party begins.
  • cindapie21cindapie21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have 14, including us, that's 4 bm's plus their +1, and 2 groomsmen plus their +1. I was hoping to create a large table! A "V" or "U" shape is a great idea!
     I have divorced parents and have marked the idea of seating them together off the list! So I'm thinking this is the best route. But should I ask my besties what they think? We are very good friends with all of our wedding party and their signicant others, but I want them ALL to be comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards