September 2012 Weddings

Tipping Dance instructor

FI and I are learning choreography for our first dance.  We are doing lessons at a local dance studio and they have a 'wedding package' for 6 lessons.  When we have our last lesson, should we tip our instructor, and if so, around how much is appropriate?

Re: Tipping Dance instructor

• We aren't tipping our instructor.  It never even occured to me!  The instructor also owns the studio, so it doesn't seem neecessary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • I was wondering about that too... I'm not sure if we need to tip her... are you tipping all your vendors? Are we supposed to?
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I wasn't planning on tipping a dance instructor-

As someone who took dance lessons forever, I never would 'tip' an instructor.  

If they really went above and beyond, maybe a thank you note and a gift card (Starbucks could be good- maybe 20 bucks).

Otherwise, just verbally thanking them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This wouldn't seem necessary to me either but like em said a gift would be nice. 

mama-  I know that as of now I am only tipping my coordinators but they are a new business trying to build a portfolio so doing my wedding at no charge.  It seems only fair to tip them.  Also, I will be tipping my officiant essentially for gas for travel (which is optional per our contract) but she is also very inexpensive.  Tax and gratuity is included in our venue fees.  Also my makeup artist will be tipped just not sure how much yet (she doesn't have a fee, just buy makeup from her as she is an MK rep and she'll apply).  That is all I'm planning on though (no DJ for us as I think tipping is standard for them). 
  • Well that's what I mean - we are paying gratuity fees and commission fees and supplying meals... do we need to tip the dj, photog, and all the other vendors as well?
    But then again I look at the hair stylist, and of course I'd tip her... so who do you tip and who do you not tip?
    I need a money tree.
  • Found this article by TK!  clicky on whether it is expected/optional/unnecessary and how much. 
  • Oh that's perfect - makes sense to me.
    With gratuities built into most of our contracts, we don't have to worry about it.
  • ErinW1912ErinW1912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I coach dance and do wedding instruction as well. Some couples tip others do not. Some send/give gift cards-i even had a couple send me a video of their wedding.  I always feel better when I get a tip just b/c I feel the couple valued the advice and time I put into their lessons. Dance instructors do not just show up they do put in time outside your lesson thinking of what will work best for the couple-like dance style, technique, how to help the couple understand and feel at ease. If the instructor is choreagraphing your dance then they are basically creating the dance for you so I would tip b/c that is alot more work then teaching to salsa, tango, fox trot, or waltz. The basic dances you just teach them the steps and patterns and then give guidance on how to put them together. For six lessons I would tip $50 but do whatever your comfortable with anything would be appreciated. 

I tend to tip though-I tipped on both my hair and makeup trails and will tip on the day of the wedding. I talked to our cater and she said tipping is not neccessary for her staff especially since it is buffet-i still feel we should tip them 5-10 each. I will probably send my photo/vidoe/pastor/bridal consultant/seamstress all gift cards with a pic from our wedding. 

My general rule is if they do a good job then I tip so they know the service was appreciated. People deserve to know that they are doing a good job and it was appreciated. That is my personal philosaphy I hate feeling obligatged to tip when the service was horrible.

• Thanks for the advice!  Most of our vendors either have tip included or own their own business so per most of the rules it seems as if tipping isn't required, but I am really struggling with that as well.  So hard to know what is proper!!!  I like the idea of tipping, but also always fear if I give a small tip that is wierd (for example we are hiring a 9 peice band, so even $100 isn't really a BIG tip per member... but I am already paying an arm and a leg for them so not sure I want to tip MORE than that....).  Decisions decisions.

I like the idea of just giving a gift cards (we will also be sending her a video of our dance as she mentioned she would love to see it so I figured that would be a nice little thank you for her to see her handywork haha!). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards