September 2012 Weddings

How many...

Different cupcake flavors should we have at the reception? We're hosting about 135 people? We're planning on getting enough cupcakes so everyone can take 1 cupcake home as a favor plus extra for our display & if people want to eat more than 1. 

TIA! =]
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How many...

• I guess it depends on your tastes. I would say at least two different types. Like chocolate and vanilla-ish stuff. But it's always fun to add one more fun one like a fruit inspired or something. =)
  • I actually am doing the same thing with the cupcakes. Our guest list is far smaller than yours and we decided on two flavors to have, carrot cake and simple vanilla. We had three flavors but opt out of the third one since the cater is providing chocolate chip cookies with the buffet dinner at no extra cost. I would say that one cupcake should be the same flavor or flavors of your wedding cake, depending on the number of tiers (if each tier has a different flavor). i did that recently for my friend's wedding anniversity as party favors and it was a huge hit to my surprise.
    Anniversary Vacation
  • celticmysscelticmyss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I'd say 3. One chocolate based, one fruity and one that's a bit more simple. This is really just a guess and not based on experience though! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with PPs...I'd say at least 3.  I personally would do a chocolate one, a vanilla one and then a fun one like carrot cake or red velvet.  I'm personally not a fan of fruit in anything for dessert so I'd skip that one :-)
  • We have about the same invited to our wedding and are doing 6 flavors. It may seem overboard but I wanted to make sure there was something for everyone. We are doing a chocolate, vanillia, red velvet, chocolate mint, pecan/bourbon and lemon. We are doing 6 dozen normal cupcakes in the less pungent flavors (vanilla, chocolate, red velvet) and 150 mini cupcakes in the stronger flavors (mint, lemon, pecan/bourbon).
    Sept. 2012 - March Siggy Challenge:
    Favorite Registry Item
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We are inviting 150 (obviously we will need less once we know who will all come). But we have 4 flavors picked out at the moment and I am consider a fifth because our place has very unique and fun flavors. Each flavor has a different decoration on top to tell them apart.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think 3 or 4 is a good number since you are letting people take one home and have room for people to have more than one.  I personally think giving people too many choices can get messy.  We are having about the same number of people.  Cupcakes in our area are super expensive so we can really only afford one cupcake per person.  Because of this we decided to do only 2 choices (wanted a 3rd put ultimately chose 2) because if everyone can only get one, we figured couples could split if they wanted to try both.  Throwing a third in there would just make it too easy for people to want extra.  We are doing two non-traditional flavors.  Funfetti cake with a strawberry buttercream and a chai spice cake with a cinnamon buttercream.  We have had our heart set on Funfetti for years now because it is one flavor everyone likes (I've honestly never met someone who didn't) and the chai spice because we fell in love with it at the tasting.  It is a wedding, not a dessert party, so don't get too stressed trying to accomodate 135 people's palates.  Some people just aren't dessert people anyways!
  • A friend of mine did this at her wedding and it was so great! The cupcakes were delicious and she had so many different varieties for people to choose from, which I personally felt was the best part. I would say go for variety if it doesn't cost more (if that's an issue). 

One side note: at my friend's wedding, people loved the cupcakes so much that people were taking two or three each!! My friend never expected that to happen and quite a few people didn't end up getting any cupcakes because they ran out so fast. Just thought I'd throw that out there as something to think about when you're deciding on how many to order.  :)
  • Thanks ladies! FI & I were looking at the flavor options of the place we're thinking of getting them from & come up with 8 flavors we were considering. Then I started thinking 'is that too much...?' 

Flavors we're thinking of:
    -Vanilla w/ white buttercream & sprinkles
    -Chocolate Peanut Butter
    -Key Lime
    -Cookie Dough
    -Vegan Orange Dreamsicles
    -Vegan Lemon Drops
    -Canolli Cake
    -My Sweet Valentine (strawberry cake w/ pink buttercream & candy message hearts)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing a cupcake tower in place of a cake.  We're only planning on having one for each person because they are a little pricey around here.  We're doing two flavors for sure and might throw in a third for people who are picky.  Our bakery has some of the most amazing cupcakes I've ever tasted so we're doing Pumpkin Spice and Apple Pie for sure and we might do an M&M cupcake too just so that the kids will be happy if they don't like the other two flavors.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    220 image 123 image 21 image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_how-many?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0feb1b4d-6128-4d4b-9a24-5022c854b60aPost:7dff4114-5c81-4ddc-97b1-13055ca5013b">Re: How many...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies! FI & I were looking at the flavor options of the place we're thinking of getting them from & come up with 8 flavors we were considering. Then I started thinking 'is that too much...?'  Flavors we're thinking of: -Vanilla w/ white buttercream & sprinkles -Chocolate Peanut Butter -Key Lime -Cookie Dough -Vegan Orange Dreamsicles -Vegan Lemon Drops -Canolli Cake -My Sweet Valentine (strawberry cake w/ pink buttercream & candy message hearts)
    Posted by josephwedding[/QUOTE]

IMO 8 is a lot.  I think it will overwhelm some people.  And you also risk people going crazy and trying too many.  Or taking a bite and not finishing it because they want to try something else.  Not sure if money is not an object for you but I'm sure no one wants to see their cupcakes go to waste.  Could you do mini-cupcakes?  I've heard of people doing this and it going really well.  I think that would be the way to do that many flavors.  Otherwise I'd look to narrow down a little...like pick chocolate PB or cookie dough.  And what is a Canolli Cake cupcake out of curiosity?  Is it that different from vanilla?  I know what a Canolli is but wasn't sure if a Canolli Cake cupcake was an "out there" flavor or heavy flavor that could maybe be instead of plain vanilla.
  • Our cake pops will be simply vanilla and chocolate but the cupcakes will be different. One will be maple flavoured for sure. We will most likely have 1-2 other flavour options. We will have enough to feed 250 :P
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We will most likely only do two options.  You can be pretty certain that most people love vanilla or chocolate... when you start getting into carrot, red velvet, spice, etc.  people can be more picky.  I want to make sure that my guests are able to have what they want and not get stuck with an "undesireable" flavor.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_how-many?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0feb1b4d-6128-4d4b-9a24-5022c854b60aPost:b6a66595-c537-4a79-90cf-49f00d1fb8b3">Re: How many...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are doing a cupcake tower in place of a cake.  We're only planning on having one for each person because they are a little pricey around here.  We're doing two flavors for sure and might throw in a third for people who are picky.  Our bakery has some of the most amazing cupcakes I've ever tasted so we're doing Pumpkin Spice and Apple Pie for sure and we might do an M&M cupcake too just so that the kids will be happy if they don't like the other two flavors.
    Posted by Sarah&Eric2012[/QUOTE]

<div>I just wanted to add, that I'd probably to a cutesy sign or something indicating that it's one per person in this case. Personally, I'd assume two (or wishful thinking) and get two. Or at least try to. I love sweets so that's the big part of the night for me. Also, people will be talking and dancing and laughing that they probably won't even think and grab and extra.</div><div>
    </div><div>Just something to be prepared for.</div>
  • Thanks for the advice. I figured 8 was a bit much. There a few flavors FI has his heart set on so, we'll discuss from there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_how-many?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0feb1b4d-6128-4d4b-9a24-5022c854b60aPost:15d92f7e-3733-49f5-ab37-1fae399a96d5">Re: How many...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many... : I just wanted to add, that I'd probably to a cutesy sign or something indicating that it's one per person in this case. Personally, I'd assume two (or wishful thinking) and get two. Or at least try to. I love sweets so that's the big part of the night for me. Also, people will be talking and dancing and laughing that they probably won't even think and grab and extra. Just something to be prepared for.
    Posted by morenachica110[/QUOTE]

Oh if we are sharing cupcake tips I thought I should mention something my baker told me.  She said if cupcakes are left on the cake table before the cake cutting, you can guarantee someone will take at least one ahead of time.  Especially if you have kids around who wouldn't know it is inappropriate.  Because of this we are keeping our tower (it is a 2 tiered cake on top for cutting with cupcakes underneath) in the kitchen and rolling it out at cake time.  We also will be having our cupcakes passed out by the waitstaff to control it and make sure everyone gets one.  Any extras will be boxed up in the kitchen for FI and me to do with as we please at the end of the night.  We didn't want to deal with "well so and so got two I want another" so we will be instructing the waitstaff that there will be no exceptions to everyone gets only one.  We ran all this by our baker since she has more experience than us with this and she said that sounds like the best way to manage the common problem she sees with cupcakes.  Hope this helps!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_how-many?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0feb1b4d-6128-4d4b-9a24-5022c854b60aPost:7dff4114-5c81-4ddc-97b1-13055ca5013b">Re: How many...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies! FI & I were looking at the flavor options of the place we're thinking of getting them from & come up with 8 flavors we were considering. Then I started thinking 'is that too much...?'  Flavors we're thinking of: -Vanilla w/ white buttercream & sprinkles -Chocolate Peanut Butter -Key Lime -Cookie Dough -Vegan Orange Dreamsicles -Vegan Lemon Drops -Canolli Cake -My Sweet Valentine (strawberry cake w/ pink buttercream & candy message hearts)
    Posted by josephwedding[/QUOTE]

My vote would be for the vanilla buttercream; chocolate peanut butter & cannoli cake and then a lighter one like vegan lemon drops.
    I've never seen cannoli cake as a cupcake- do you mind sharing your baker?
  • Junebug- NoRA Cupcakes In Middletown. Carrie is amazing! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mmmmmm.... Cupcakes!
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • I'm doing cupcakes and we're gonna have 5 flavors. The cupcake place just has such amazing choices we want our guests to be able to have a choice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards