September 2012 Weddings
Options

Is there a way to word this?

So FI and I are setting up our website with registry info.  We've registered at BBB and Amazon.com.  However, we're both riding in the MS 150 next year in June and we need to raise money to be able to ride.  He did the ride this year cause his dad was just diagnosed with MS, and a lot of friends and family already understand what it's all about.  We were talking and we decided that we'd like to also put a link to the donation page on our registry page.  We've been living together for a couple years now so I could see some people preferring to make a donation to a cause rather than buying us a household item.

Question is:  How would you word something like that?  Or is that just too weird to include on a registry?

So far I've come up with something along the lines of:

"After a successful first ride for Josh this year, Josh and Renata have both signed up to ride in the MS 150 on June 8-9, 2013.  If you would prefer, please consider a donation to their ride and the fight against MS in lieu of gift for the couple."

That's the best I can come up with on my own, but it makes it sound like we're expecting gifts, which, of course, we are not.  Is there a better way to say this?

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

Re: Is there a way to word this?

• Options
    eh... I probably wouldn't include it, and maybe just post on facebook or something that you need donations for your upcoming ride.  I would make them totally seperate events.
  • Options
    Hmm...personally, I'm not sure if I would do it either, BUT you know your crowd better than we do. If you do decide to add it, I would change the last sentence to something like...

"Should you so choose, the couple would graciously accept a donation to their ride and the fight against MS."

I don't think I would mention anything about "in lieu of a gift" because like you said, it makes it sound like you're expecting gifts (even though we all know you aren't!). Also, I think it's frowned upon in general to even mention anything about gifts, so I would just avoid it altogether. I would also suggest spelling out Multiple Sclerosis because some people may not be very familiar with it and they may not pick up on what "MS" is.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_is-there-a-way-to-word-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:67dfa9dd-876a-420a-92b8-1fcca662e075Post:7a737751-9998-432e-85d8-561ef9568e6f">Re: Is there a way to word this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm...personally, I'm not sure if I would do it either, BUT you know your crowd better than we do. If you do decide to add it, I would change the last sentence to something like... "Should you so choose, the couple would graciously accept a donation to their ride and the fight against MS." I don't think I would mention anything about "in lieu of a gift" because like you said, it makes it sound like you're expecting gifts (even though we all know you aren't!). Also, I think it's frowned upon in general to even mention anything about gifts, so I would just avoid it altogether. I would also suggest spelling out Multiple Sclerosis because some people may not be very familiar with it and they may not pick up on what "MS" is.
    Posted by ejheart[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm just going to ditto all of this, heh.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    We're asking for people to donate to chairty in lieu of giving us a gift, and we have 3 suggested on our website. the site isn't finished yet (ugh. one more thing I haven't gotten to) but the donation page is. We had 2 of the 3 chaities make a special page on their donation page recognizing us.

http://churchmousemedia.com/markplusmichelle/registry.htm

Maybe some of that wording will help.
  • Options
    Michelle!  That is such great wording!  We ultimately decided not to put it on our registry page, but I love what you've done with yours.  Thanks for the response.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards