September 2012 Weddings
Options

DJ Question

I just got the contract from a DJ I'm working with and he wants the full amount up front.  All my other vendors have only wanted a deposit, then remaining amount close to wedding date or actual wedding date.  This seems weird to me.  What have your experiences been with booking DJs?  Is this normal?  Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DJ Question

• Options
    I would be extremely wary of any vendor that wants the full fee upfront 6 months before the wedding. We are using a live band not a DJ, but their deposit was 1/3 with the balance due the day of the wedding. Other vendor deposits have varied from a few hundred dollars to 50% upfront. The earliest any of our vendors requires the balance to be paid is one month before (for the officiant), most others are one week before the wedding or the day of the wedding. If you like the DJ I would negotiate how much you pay upfront.
  • Options
    I agree with PP. None of our vendors have asked for the full fee up front including our DJ we paid about 25% deposit for ours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ya that's iffy to me. Why does he require payment in full right now? I would question that myself.
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  I don't know if I should even bother emailing him back and asking why or just move onto someone else.  Thanks, Ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If you have other options, I'd go with that because that seems sketchy.  If you decide to go with him do not give him a personal check or cash.  The best thing you can do is demand you pay it with a credit card.  God forbid he bails, the government protects consumers who pay with credit cards and you can get your money back.  You still have no DJ but at least you didn't lose your money.  Also, check out paypals protection plans because this is the only other way I'd pay him (you can pay off paypal with a credit card sometimes).  All of our vendors I have paid with credit card (except the photographer who I put the deposit down through paypal).  The only ones I'll pay in cash will be the final payments I make the day of the wedding when I know they are already there.  If it seems off, it usually is.  Trust your gut.
  • Options
    I'd look elsewhere. That's sketchy. If you can't find anyone else that fits your plans, then ask him why he needs that or tell him you will only book him if he does a deposit.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_dj-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:c77ae856-ebee-4fef-8942-022e72e93efbPost:c470dd31-67a2-4768-a152-47a73a6fabac">Re: DJ Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]That would seriously raise a red flag for me...
    Posted by BMcLeodTeam[/QUOTE]

Definitely red flags flying.  I'd want to look into it further before handing over any $$$.  Do you know anyone that's used this DJ before, does he have any references that he can give you. 
    image180 image85 image8 Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    Well, I emailed him back and he said we could 50% deposit now and the rest right before the wedding. I also asked for references and he emailed me what appear to be excerpts from thank you letters he has received, but no contact information for the people, so I emailed him back requesting contact info and haven't heard anything else from him.  I have went ahead and contacted 3 other DJ's though to see if I can find someone else.  Thanks for the input ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards