Interracial Weddings
Options

Hapa Haole will Marry an Irish Man

Greetings to all!
As the product of an interracial marriage (my mother is Japanese and my father is a whole mix of Caucasion origins), and as I am going to be involved in an interracial marriage myself, I thought I would introduce myself to this group.

I was excited to see this group exists because my marriage will definitely not be traditional (not fully Irish & Christian nor Japanese & Buddhist)  The more I read of all your posts the more I relate.  My mom's family is Japanese in Hawaii for 4 & 5 generations --until me.  And some of the customs I would like to incorporate into my wedding are both Japanese as well as Hawaiian.   

I am lucky to have a very accepting FMIL & in-law family, so I think the alterations I'm going to make to the "traditional" scheme of things will go over well with them, but I do worry about extended friends and family.  

As an end note, I'll just reiterate that I'm really excited to have found this group!!  And ask a question: day-to-day do people consider their situation (interracial/intercultural) unusual or has it just become so normal that you don't even think about it unless someone else brings it up??  (I'm in the latter camp)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hapa Haole will Marry an Irish Man

• Options
    Awww; it's so great to see a new face!

What traditions will you incorporate?
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    melntaitt: Thanks for welcoming me.

We are actually planning two ceremonies, one in Rochester, NY at my FI's church where we will be married by his Pastor (whom I have met and am comfortable with).  But we are also going to be married on the Big Island in Hawaii where my family has been for 5 generations (except for me of course--haha).  There we will have a traditional Buddhist ceremony and be married by the Reverend in my family's Daijingu.  That way we can honor both sides of our heritage, Christian and Buddhist.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome to the board!

I think it's cool your Japanese side is interested in incorporating Buddhist aspects into the ceremony as well.  In Japan, besides Western-style marriages, there doesn't seem to be much deviation from the Shinto wedding, Buddhist funeral pattern.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards